Watered Down Reality

Watered Down Reality

A Story by Earl Schumacker
"

Another Catholic perspective

"
Watered Down Reality
What is it to be “moral” today? Most of us would say that respecting a person's views and their private space is being moral.

Most of us would say that we practice “moral relativism” in today's work a day live a day world. We give our fellow humans their due dignity by respecting their views, respecting their space, listening to them and their concerns, not harming them in body, spirit and mind. That would be our equivalent or definition of morality in modern times. Let everybody do their own thing. Everything is cool. “Being cool” is being moral. If you want to stretch your bubble gum you can chew on that.

There is no good or evil in the world in the new world order. An evil thing is simply transformed into a good thing by simply saying it is good. “Abortion is good.” See how easy and simple that was? “Abortion is murder.” See how easy and simple that was? Now you can all go back to sleep and not worry about a thing.

You can go far in life by simply having an opinion. It does not need to be right or wrong. People need to respect it and you because you deserve it. Why? Well, because you are you. We need to respect you, to tolerate you, to give you your due dignity and simply accept you as you are. Even if you didn't get that little dolly, the correct one, at your birth. 

Another person's truth might not be your truth but it is a truth so that is all that matters so there. 

Tolerance is the new buzzword in society for the new morality. We must tolerate homosexuality. We must allow women to “respect” their own bodies, their own individuality, their own freedom, their own dignity to remove unwanted, unborn babies from their womb like the tumors that they are and because a woman's body is her property, her body, her “choice”, her morality and right. I'll have an extra order of fries with that.

There was a time when reality had sharper edges. No. That is not exactly right. Reality does not change. It is and always will be the same. We live. We die. Nothing changes that. All of these other matters are ancillary to the real world. 

Some people think that a police man or woman with a gun is a good thing. Others think it is a bad thing. Both perspectives are probably correct. ....but it does not matter. We have to tolerate them.

As for criminals in society; they have rights. Maybe mommy and daddy didn't buy them the right toys when they were growing up. Maybe Johnny wanted a GI Joe Army doll and mom and pop gave them a He-Man doll instead. Wrong! 

If they kill, rape, rob banks and cause mayhem, it is probably for a good reason. We have to tolerate them. They too deserve their dignity, personal space, equal rights, voting rights, free legal fees paid for, free dental, vision, medical, food, lodging....compliments of you....the moral majority. I'm still waiting for my happy meal and those fries.

Separate arguments with different conclusions could be drawn on the subject of “tolerance” and “inclusiveness” that lead down that dark path to confusion and misunderstanding when defining these matters. In my religion, The Catholic religion, we are very clear on the subject of tolerance. Catholicism is a God based religion. God is at the core. He is at the center of the faith and therefore the center of existence. The Church is not an inclusive organization. Catholics do not include homosexuality. It is an Adam and Eve kind of religion. It is not a John and John or Mary and Mary kind of religion. We are very clear on that point. It is not an abortion kind of religion. You simply do not take a life. It is a life based religion. Catholics, including myself, tolerate but do not include these people Carte Blanche, willy-nilly in our religion. There must be a reconciliation with church and God first. 
The human body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. That includes women. That includes the babies inside their bodies. Just a thought. Something to think about while you are having them removed from your bodies. That is, of course, if God matters. 

Catholicism is also not about “social justice.” That is a story for another day.

It all gets back to God. God does not check with CNN for the news. He is the news.

© 2018 Earl Schumacker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on November 8, 2018
Last Updated on November 8, 2018
Tags: relativism, morality, God, justice

Author

Earl Schumacker
Earl Schumacker

Atlantic City, NJ



About
B.A. Degree in Literature and Language. I enjoy writing short stories, poetry, novels and keeping up with new scientific discoveries. I enjoy philosophy and Art appreciation. more..

Writing