Size Matters - Science Matters

Size Matters - Science Matters

A Story by Earl Schumacker
"

Exploring the N95 Mask

"

Hi People interested in particles,

This is a public service announcement. For those of you who don't know me, you don't have to know me. I urge you  to use your own mental faculties to make sound judgments regarding your health, safety and security.  Here is some information that might help you to make cogent decisions on the matter of Covid 19. I gathered this information from scientific and medical resources to make a point on this topic. I used dust particles as a control device, a mechanism to give you a reference point to view with some clarity that which you might find interesting and useful in determining your own facts while going through this pandemic. I kept the information concise. I mean, who has time to read a book these days? (Everyone?)



Size Matters    Science Matters


Dust particles are measured by the micron (one micron equals 1/25,400 of an inch). The dust that you can see is about 10 microns in diameter. Those are the big particles. The more dangerous type of dust, the tiny particles that can lodge in your lungs and wreak havoc, are about.3 microns in size.


To put that size into perspective;


Covid 19: While the actual virus is roughly 0.16 microns in diameter the respiratory droplets from infected individuals come in a wide range of sizes; from visible droplets to the ones too small for our eyes to see.


As RNA viruses go, COVID-19 is pretty big, among the largest of the RNA viruses, but it’s still very small as it can infect tiny cells. The strand is roughly 34,000 RNA molecules in length, then its encapsulated in a round protein coat.

Mar 18, 2020 · Coronavirus lives for hours in air particles and days on surfaces, new US study shows Published Wed, Mar 18 2020 10:35 AM EDT Updated Thu, Mar 19

Particle Settling in Still Air Time to settle 5 feet by unit density spheres 0.5 Pm1Pm103 Pm Pm 100 Pm 41 hours 12 hours 1.5 hours

Draw your own conclusions on whether or not you should be wearing the N95 mask.  Recent science has proven that 95% of the masks we wear today have Covid 19 micro particles on the inside and outside of the masks once they are exposed to the virus. 


Earl


© 2020 Earl Schumacker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

17 Views
Added on May 30, 2020
Last Updated on May 30, 2020
Tags: Health, safety, science

Author

Earl Schumacker
Earl Schumacker

Atlantic City, NJ



About
B.A. Degree in Literature and Language. I enjoy writing short stories, poetry, novels and keeping up with new scientific discoveries. I enjoy philosophy and Art appreciation. more..

Writing