Nostalgia

Nostalgia

A Story by Emma Claire
"

We like each other. Now what?

"

2nd Grade:

You’re the first one to say “hi” to me. We poke each other and make funny faces and get butterflies and giggle and awkwardly sit next to each other. But you’re a boy and you have cooties.


5th Grade:

I’m taller than you and never let you forget it. We tease each other, but you always pick me to be on your kickball team. We fight and chase each other and laugh and awkwardly sit next to each other. But we’re too young.


8th Grade:

Our horrible acne problems don’t keep us from smiling at each other in the hallway. We partner up for group work and “accidentally” brush up against each other and awkwardly sit next to each other. But you have a girlfriend.


11th Grade: 

We catch each other’s eyes from across the room. I nudge you as we walk and you make sarcastic remarks at my clumsiness. We wrestle and share and awkwardly sit next to each other. But I have a boyfriend.


College:

We reminisce over the phone and continue to reuse old inside jokes. We visit each other every weekend and catch up and eat diner food and relax in our dorms and awkwardly sit next to each other. But we’re too busy.


Now:

I steal a moment to admire your eyes as you tuck a loose strand of hair behind my hair. You put your arm around me as we sit over a cup of coffee and awkwardly sit next to each other. We hesitate when we realize there’s nothing stopping us. No child-diagnosis or age restrictions or busy schedules. No clingy girlfriends or stubborn boyfriends. No excuses. 


I rest my head on your shoulder and whisper, “Now what?”


You sigh and play with my hair - the butterflies still tickle me. “I guess we wait and find out.” I look up at you and smile.


And you kiss me.

© 2015 Emma Claire


Author's Note

Emma Claire
Rough Draft

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on July 26, 2015
Last Updated on July 29, 2015
Tags: story, short story, love, flirt, relationship

Author

Emma Claire
Emma Claire

NJ



About
I think a lot but I can't seem to get my thoughts out of my head. more..

Writing
Our song Our song

A Poem by Emma Claire