Side Stop

Side Stop

A Story by Emma Claire

I was cursing at how late I was when I saw you at a stoplight. You had one arm outstretched on the steering wheel and the other resting on the open window, seemingly unfazed by the slow moving vehicles as you rocked out to the radio. I couldn’t help but stare with a stupid little smile on my face as you head bopped and lip synced to Katy Perry. I had a sudden urge to meet you, but I couldn’t stop on a busy day like this. You caught my eye and smiled just as the light turned green - you were going right, I was going straight. I drove away and walked into work a little less cranky that day.


A few months later, I found myself boarding the B Train with a coffee in my hand and a meeting presentation on my mind. The car I got onto was crowded and I wanted more than anything to just go back home to bed. 


“Stand clear of the closing doors please,” the announcement said. I stared out the window as we left, but felt my heart skip a beat as I caught a glimpse of you on the platform. You apparently saw me first, as I caught you looking at me with a hint of wonder in your eyes. They seemed to say hey, I think I remember you. But I couldn’t stop a moving train and you disappeared from my vision as we went into the tunnel.


Weeks after, I stood at the corner of 14th and 23rd, pressing the pedestrian button multiple times - it was 5:30 on a Friday and I was ready to go home and relax. The beautiful walking light flickered on and I practically skipped across the avenue. I was so concerned with what I was going to watch on Netflix that I didn’t even notice when I passed you. 


“Hey,” I heard a man say. I turned around to see your brown eyes looking at me in awe. I opened my mouth but forgot how to speak. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to catch you off guard, I’m not a creep I swear.” You let out a warm chuckle and your smile was captivating. I almost managed to say something when a car honked at us - we were still in the middle of the road! I laughed as we scurried over back to 14th and 23rd. 


“Say, do you wanna catch a cup of coffee?” You asked. 


I gave a tired smile and let out a sigh of relief that I had nothing else planned for today. “A cup of coffee sounds wonderful.” My phone vibrated just as we were about to leave and I saw it was from my boss. 


“You wanna answer that?” you asked.


I threw my phone back in my purse and gave him a confident smile. “Nah. She’ll be there Monday. You, on the other hand, are a harder fish to catch.”


You grinned at me a said sweetly, “Well I think it’s safe to say you've got me hooked.”

© 2015 Emma Claire


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on July 29, 2015
Last Updated on July 29, 2015
Tags: love, city, work, romance

Author

Emma Claire
Emma Claire

NJ



About
I think a lot but I can't seem to get my thoughts out of my head. more..

Writing
Our song Our song

A Poem by Emma Claire