Lucid Dreaming

Lucid Dreaming

A Story by Egress
"

People are weird, talking about glass when the world is in shambles.

"

People are weird.


   Don’t misinterpret my words�"humans are indeed creatures with strange trains of thoughts, and even stranger metaphors. Thoughts are not trains, steam-powered or freight, and they often sound too off for me to consider. Bosh, they are. Of course, with that first statement, I include myself into the generalisation. I am not a fool enough to wave up an excuse why I’m superior.

   I see what is there. So far, I am in par with most people in terms of social standing. A teenage girl with little experience in human interaction. Definitely not the kind of person someone would listen to, especially with the deeply-ingrained belief that popularity is power. Well, it is, but in my opinion, the celebrities are too stupid to manipulate the world to bend under them. Such a shame, wasting an opportunity like that.

   But back on my first point, people are weird. Everyone knows about the glass and its state of fullness. Or emptiness, depending on the point of view. Or as the realists say, how it is just a glass half full and half empty. It’s hard to quote them when all they say is, “We see things as they are,” which could be interpreted as anything. This makes them lower on the caste system I made up to drive my point home.

   Optimists and Pessimists are weird people no. 1. They proudly declare that their glass is half full or half empty. I see no difference in their statements, or how they seem to think that those two are different views. As my logic states, they are the same thing with different wording. Do thinking that the glass is half full makes you an optimist? An optimist or pessimist might think, at first glance, that the glass is both half full and empty because it simply is.

   Then there are the realists. I dub them weird people no. 2 as they are even weirder than weird people no. 1. So far, with my research and observation, I have not found a single thing that differ them from the optimists and pessimists. So what if they see the glass as it is�"it’s both half full and empty! They are just lower in the caste because they don’t want to take responsibilities by choosing between the two classes. As if saying “as it is” makes things clearer.

   There are even stranger people. They seem to classify people’s views by asking a trap question and belief conclusions not made by experts, like say, psychologists. The least they could do is look up personality tests on the internet. As far as I am concerned, the glass test is not to be trusted, because a man with an inkling of logic would think that the glass is in both state and say whatever comes to mind first. A man with knowledge of quantum physics would agree that it is not even a situation worthy of long sleepless nights full of contemplation. It’s far from being something like Schrodinger’s cat.


   After another look into my data, I have come upon a conclusion. This whole glass problem is not to be questioned again, since Mum tells me to finish my milk, and I can’t say no. Well, at least I took care of the problem, since there’s no more liquid in the glass.


   I’m sure people could make up more hypothetical problems even with the glass empty, though.

© 2012 Egress


Author's Note

Egress
Prompt 27: Write a story about an empty glass.

I promptly ignored my own understanding of the glass test just to write this. I imagine the narrator is a young, teenage girl-- slightly higher intellect but with a dash of childishness.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on March 6, 2012
Last Updated on March 6, 2012

Author

Egress
Egress

Indonesia



About
A fourteen-years old girl with minimum writing experience. I'm planning to get better! On the way to plan several novels, including two murder mysteries. WILLING TO BETA. This means I'll read your w.. more..

Writing
Hobson Hobson

A Story by Egress