The Forest's Hymn

The Forest's Hymn

A Story by Emily
"

This is the story of a girl who opens the door of an imaginary forest, gets trapped following a tyrannical, false god and has no way out but that of a Higher Power.

"

This is the story of how a forest changed my life, starting with an open door and a beautiful tree. Just like that, the door swung open. “Hello? Where am I?” I yelled as I looked forward, hoping somebody would answer.And someone did, it was him, the god of the forest. He welcomed me at the door. “Welcome! Take a look around.” He announced as he closed the door behind me with a smile on his face. He told me to rename myself. I decided to call myself Lila. He disappeared and I looked up to see a symmetrical, tall row of pink trees with leaves creating a path on the soft ground. As I slowly crept forward, I could hear the leaves crunch under my bare feet. I advanced deeper and deeper into the woodlands, alone, trying to see where he went.

“Dinner!” Mom interrupted my contemplation. Little did I know that this would be the last time I would ever forget about such a forest. I only went back every couple of days, then a few times a day, Then I never left. Nobody knew me anymore. For the forest had changed my whole life on my 14th birthday. Not only did my mentality change, but my appearance changed with it. I got a wolf cut. I dyed my hair white. I got rounder glasses. I got sword earrings instead of cross earrings. I even began to wear all black. I finally had something that was mine.

I should have left while I still could. But I didn’t. It’s been 3 months. Something feels wrong like I’m not meant to live here. The trees cover the sky. I haven’t been able to see past that for a while. I haven’t seen my family except to scream at them to leave me alone. They didn’t understand. I’m finally happy. This forest was the only place I could be that way. I still danced. I still sang. I still laughed, although not as often now as when I first got here. I didn’t see anything wrong with that, and neither did he.

The clouds were darkened with every thought. The fog was deep and heavy, clouding innocent lives. There was always an imminent storm. I was no more than a shadow, walking around in a dark kingdom with an idol I couldn’t help but worship. The only light here was the flickering street lights blinding us from the outside world. Strong winds moved the trees. Waters flooded the landscapes. Fires engulfed the buildings. I am injured, hanging on by a thread. This land had no solid foundation because our god didn’t.

Is that a different kind of tree? I ran over, tripping over a cypress branch. I stumbled down a hill, and my wrist hurt. It bled and was swollen. My leg was also bleeding. landing in what I thought was a raging river. I fought until I couldn’t. I needed a savior that night.

I lay on the ground, only seeing a face. It was him. It was the king. “Stop fighting me," he said, "You're here now. You belong to me.” I believed him, but the next thing I knew, he left me and the next thing I did was follow him everywhere, pick up his lingo, and act more like him every day. That’s when I knew: none of his dearest darlings would ever leave this place. This wasn’t my forest. I wasn’t in control. He was.

I was tired of fighting. For what? You tell me. I had to run. This forest was written by the devil. I tried to leave. He kept finding me and stopping me. I would go to any length to leave this place. I ran. I walked. Heck, I even crawled. I was weary and burdened. I had been asleep all these years, unsure of how to wake up from this captivity. I ceased to try. I thought I drowned that night. I did, I drowned in my own heart’s desire. I thought I was crazy for trying. I mean, I did see unnatural flashes of light and occurrences all the time. Finally, I laid down to die. What was the point? I had no joy, no friends, no family, and no way out.

My eyes opened. I could feel the bark of a tree against my arched back. I looked up and I watched. That’s all I could do. There were no more tears left in my eyes. They seemed clearer than before. One star formed, then another, and another. The more I looked around, the more I noticed what I had been missing out on for so many years. I saw the moon. It was beautiful. How could I get out? Could I? I looked around to see a way out. Then I noticed a small glimmer of light coming from the top of the mountain. I remember hearing people talk about their faith. What if I had that? I want what they have.

I stood up, my goal being to get up there, even with a mustard seed of faith. I went higher among the mountains until I saw a light and surrendered to it. I inched my way to the door. For the first time, there was no one stopping me. I opened it and I saw a light. It blinded me, yet I knew to follow it. It was a man, he reached out his hand. I could see the love and compassion in His eyes. It was as if He carried me to the door and met me in that place where I was so broken that I couldn't get up. I will continue to carry me further from that place. I didn’t care where He carried me> I wanted to be miles away from that forest. He put me on solid ground. I was awake and alive. I looked in awe at a huge palace. I felt the walls. They were as strong as the neutron star crust. Nothing against me could prosper. Nothing.

I’ve been out for years, But I have never ceased to forget about the effect the forest had on me. I am free now and I admit I never want to go back. I have lived in the castle ever since. My family can visit. I have new friends, and it is well. I don’t want to have to fight for my life like that again.


~The End~





© 2023 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on December 19, 2023
Last Updated on December 19, 2023
Tags: teen, Christian

Author

Emily
Emily

Denver, CO



About
HI, I'm Emily! i'M 17 and i'm a short story and poetry writer. more..