Excerpt from a story about dreams

Excerpt from a story about dreams

A Story by Eldarwen
"

This is an idea I've had, and there's many small excerpts like this floating around on papers, documents so that maybe one day they could be united into a nice plot about people losing their dreams.

"

Even now, when they both did not have to hide anything anymore about who they really were, knowing that they were arch enemies, the attraction seemed undeniable. What an evil trick of fate, to fall for someone who never would, never could be the One.

 

Yet, this was it. The moment of truth. In a way, every single one of their actions had been leading up to this point of no return. The choice would have to be made tonight. Here. In this very moment.

 

As if in slow motion, he began to draw his sword, its black blade glittering in the light of the full moon, giving it an air of movement that could only be attributed to living beings. His eyes never left her, watching her every move, and every one of his muscles indicated that he was ready for what was about to come. A shudder of anticipation ran through her body when she realised that this was going to be it. They would finally clash and fight, openly, and there would be no turning back. Watching his cat like moves, she began to wonder whether she even stood a chance but she was resolved to end this, one way or another. The battle had been going on for too long already and even though she knew full well that their little sword play was not going to put an end to the global happenings, at least it would set things right between the two of them.

One of them was going to die tonight.

 

Without warning, he suddenly attacked. Barely having enough time to lift her sword to parry the powerful blow, she staggered back, already losing ground on the first hit. His sword was already up for the next hit when she brought up her arms again to fend off the blow. Thus they continued for what seemed like ages, him striking, her parrying and dodging as much as possible trying to stand her ground. However, all her efforts seemed futile. In no time, he had backed her against a wall with his sword at the ready for the final blow. There was no more room for her to move and her arms were straining with the exhaustion of the fight. Both their breathing came in rapid gasps, chests heaving in quick patterns that were certainly not only to be attributed to their duelling.

 

A surge of panic rushed through her as it hit home that she was running out of time. No matter what the cost, she had to survive this, she could not let him win, but she could not kill him either �" and that was her problem. Even though she knew very well that there could only be one survivor, and even though she was unwilling to die under his blade, she could not bring herself to strike back to try and land a killing blow herself. It was what had always held her back and it was holding her back now, in her final moment. He was her nemesis but he was also the one reason that had kept her alive in so many moments of defeat and despair. He was her dream, and she could not destroy her own dream. Their dreams were what they were living for after all.

 

It must have shown on her face, a flicker of despondency, because a sly grin suddenly spread across his until now blank face as he realised that she was completely at his mercy, unable to end this in her favour. It was that overconfidence and cockiness that sent a surge of rage through her. The idea of her existence ending at the tip of his sword did not seem to upset him, on the contrary, it seemed to please him, and it made her fume inwardly. After all they had been through, no matter how many times they had sworn to kill each other they had both known that they could not live one without the other. Or so she had thought. Had it all been an illusion? She forced herself to push aside her fear and confusion, her newfound contempt for him leaving her with only a twisted urge to outlive him. With a loud cry, she straightened up and with incredible speed lunged at him with her sword. His eyes widened in surprise at this sudden turn of events and his parry came too slow, as his sword had already been on the way backwards for his final blow.

 

He caught her on the shoulder, creating a gaping flesh wound but too late. Her blade had already pierced one of his lungs and already his breath was coming in rasping gasps as he slowly fell to the floor, her blade still where it had struck. Shocked, she fell to her knees next to him, her hands frantically moving over his chest, around the sword to try and do something, even though she knew that it was too late. An odd look of peace stole across his face as he looked up at her, as if the knowledge that he would not have to fight her anymore was a relief.

 

She, on the other hand, could not believe what she had just done. Silent tears were streaming down her face as she looked from her hands to his face, a faint trickle of blood flowing from the edge of his mouth. Her hands reached for his face, wanting to stroke him, but she held back, hopelessness carving its way into her heart. He gave her a smile, as if to comfort her, before his head fell to the side as he lost consciousness. It would be another few minutes before his lungs had completely filled with blood and he would be dead but she could not stay and watch. The knowledge of what she had just done was pure agony, making it hard for her to breathe. All the anger she had felt before had evaporated within seconds. She groped for her sword, her fingers gliding over the handle but she left it in his flesh, not wanting to disturb the look of peace on his face with the hurtful motion of pulling out the sword, which �" she was certain �" would show on his features despite his unconsciousness.

 

A sudden cry of fury brought her focus back to her surroundings and she realised that she was not alone anymore. Several people were running towards her, some from his side, some from her side, both parties screaming at her.

 

~~~~~~~

 

“Look at those two, aren’t they sweet?” she breathed when she stepped in view of the man and the woman standing in the middle of the barely illuminated square, seemingly lost in each other’s eyes, a slight breeze playing with their hair and clothes, making the setting all the more romantic. At his questioning sideways glance, she explained with a sigh: “They look like they’ve found a long lost love, someone they have been looking for probably for an eternity, maybe even the love of their life.”

He laughed, but it was bitter: “It will never happen.”

“How can you say that?” she gasped, upset that he would dismiss the possibility so easily, especially when it was so obvious as it was for these two. “How can you not see that glow between them? It’s like little sparkling lights dancing between their bodies. Well, not literally, but..”

“Your innocence is refreshing,” he snorted. “You will understand soon enough.” And without further explanation, he left her standing there, agape, and looking dumbfounded. Could he not see that these two belonged together?

 

Not far off, he began barking orders at the others, strategically positioning them around the square. Apparently, they were about to be attacked, but how could he know? This was an innocent meeting of two secret lovers and there were none of the enemies in sight. They didn’t even know they were here... She didn’t even understand why they themselves were here. So how..

 

However, before she could finish the thought, she caught glimpses here and there of people she had thought had stayed in their holes, far away. Yet, here they were, invading their space. So, an attack was imminent. But how..? What was going on? A rush of excitement surged through her as she thought about the prospect of fighting and she quickly ran over to him to receive her own orders. After all, she was one of the army and had a duty to fulfil, even though she had only joined very recently and did not know much about anything that was going on, except for the very basics.

© 2011 Eldarwen


Author's Note

Eldarwen
Criticism welcome and appreciated!
I know it's a bit weird, since it's smacked up in the middle of a plot I have never fully developped and there are no names which doesn't make it easier to read. But still, maybe whoever reads this can make something out of it and can maybe chip in a few comments. Thanks in advance!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very well written. It easily captivates and entrances its audience and refuses to let them go! I enjoyed reading it, especially the fight scene. The way you described their emotions, their thoughts, resonates within me. It reminds me of the struggles I have faced, as well as the struggles of characters deep within my mind waiting to be brought forth and made real, in some form or another. I Can't wait to read more of your work. I really hope you make this into a book, if you have not already.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Even if you never fully develop this, the first part is amazing. The couple don't need names, and that could easily be used as a stand-alone short story. Beautifully written, captivating, and heartbreaking.
I love it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think you should leave it like this and keep it to give you inspiration for other story ideas. I didn't get the part after the interjection thingy, but it was very interesting to read and I really liked it. Good job and keep writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 19, 2011
Last Updated on September 19, 2011

Author

Eldarwen
Eldarwen

Luxembourg



About
Hey there, thanks for stopping by ^-^ I joined this website out of curiosity after a fellow roleplayer told me about it and because I like to surround myself with other people who enjoy writing ju.. more..

Writing
Punishment Punishment

A Story by Eldarwen