A Hopeless Cause

A Hopeless Cause

A Stage Play by Elisa
"

A short one act play that deals with the hopeless feeling of suicidal ideation on a daily basis.

"

ACT ONE SCENE ONE: a monologue

Spotlight to downstage centre. In the surrounding darkness, a frozen crowd of students.

Mina

What do you do when you run out of options? What do you do when you’ve tried everything that you can try? What do you do when you have nothing left to lose?

Students begin to move again, chattering, all eventually exiting stage

mina

What do you do when you’re all alone? At least, it feels that way. You see, it really comes down to yourself in the end. They can say that they’re there for you, that they care, that they love you and that you matter to them, but in the end, it’s me, myself, and I. Nobody else. No friends, no parents, no teachers, no lovers. You’re alone.

End scene. Fade spotlight to blackout

ACT ONE SCENE TWO: THERAPY

Soft wash up, spotlight on therapist’s couch where Mina is lying. Therapist is in the background, out of the light and upstage.

mina

I don’t know why I keep coming here.

therapist

Why is that?

mina

You don’t actually do anything.

therapist

Oh?

Mina

No. You ask stupid questions that you already know the answer to and then send me home with no solution.

therapist

And how does that make you feel?

Mina

If you ask me that one more time I will scream.

therapist

Okay…no feelings then. How about this, what would you like me to say?

mina

I don’t know. Anything, really. Anything insightful that will magically inspire me to live.

therapist

And what do you think would inspire you to live?

mina

You tell me, you’re the shrink. So shrink away my problems.

therapist

And what problems would you like me to shrink away?

mina

That’s the thing. I don’t have problems. Well, not real problems. I have a home, a bed, I’m healthy. I have friends, a boyfriend, good teachers that care about me. I have good grades, I’m going to a good college.

therapist

And yet?

mina

And yet I don’t give a f**k.

therapist

Language, please.

mina

Sorry. I don’t give a DAMN. I don’t care. I have zero interest. How else would you like me to phrase it?

therapist

(after a silence) I think we’re done for today.

End scene. Fade to black

ACT ONE SCENE THREE: THE BOYFRIEND

Two lights come up, one at downstage right, one at downstage left. The two characters face away from each other, on the phone.

boyfriend

So how was therapy today babe?

mina

Don’t call me babe

boyfriend

Geez, someone’s cranky. I just asked a question.

mina

Fine. It was wonderful. Solved everything, I’m cured.

boyfriend

Babe…

mina

I SAID don’t call me babe!

boyfriend

Jesus you’re impossible today, aren’t you?

mina

(in tears) f**k off! (throws phone. Boyfriend stares at screen of his phone, shrugs and puts it back in his pocket)

mina

S**t. (picks up phone and dials number. Boyfriend picks up)

mina

I’m so sorry baby I’m sorry I don’t know what came over me-

boyfriend

It’s fine. No biggy.

Mina

Thank you…I’m sorry. That was the last time, okay? I promise that won’t happen again.

boyfriend

Look, I appreciate it, but don’t make promises that you can’t keep.

mina

Excuse me?

boyfriend

You say that every time you snap

mina

I do not! What the f**k is your problem?

boyfriend

Okay, okay, calm down. Forget I said anything. Just…I’ll talk to you tomorrow okay?

mina

Fine. See you tomorrow.

End scene. Fade to black.

ACT ONE SCENE FOUR: THE PARENTS

Open on the apron. A kitchen table is set for dinner. Mother and Father are sitting at the table, discussing Mina.

mother

I don’t know, it’s just that the school said she needs it…

father

I don’t care what the school says. We listened to them and sent her to therapy. Fine. But it’s not working so what’s the point of forcing her to go if she doesn’t want to go and it’s not doing her any good?

mother

Gregory!

father

Martha, I know you want what’s best for her. But I’m not paying some crackpot idiot to sit and ask our daughter the same questions every week.

mother

Maybe if she went more often, it would do more good. Please Gregory…

father

I-

 

Enter Mina

mina

You what?

mother

Mina you shouldn’t eavesdrop on other people’s conversations.

mina

I wasn’t eavesdropping I was walking into the room.

father

Don’t speak to your mother that way.

mother

Gregory-

father

Martha, I can handle this. Why are you late?

mina

I was talking to Zach.

mother

Oh how is Zach? We haven’t seen him around in a while.

mina

He’s fine.

father

That’s not a real answer Mina

mina

Fine. He’s swell.

Father

Mina I don’t understand where this attitude

mina

And I don’t understand why you’re suddenly so interested in my life!

mother

Mina! Go to your room!

Exit Mina

father

Well that was fantastic.

mother

I just don’t understand where this mouthiness came from.

father

I don’t understand a lot of things about that girl.

mother

Well what are we going to do about it? Doctor Goland said it’s just a defense mechanism, that it’s easier for her to get angry that to get sad.

father

I don’t know dear. Like I said, Doctor Goland seems full of s**t.

mother

Gregory!

father

Well it’s true.

End scene. Black out.

 

 

 

 

ACT ONE SCENE FIVE: LISTLESS

Open to centre stage, reveal teenage girl’s bedroom. Mina is sitting on the bed, holding a journal.

Mina

Look at this. Look at THIS. June 23rd, 2015. “Failed my midterm today and got into a fight with Zach. My world is crumbling.” Do you hear that? My world is CRUMBLING? Who gives a f**k? Jesus f*****g Christ what the hell was I thinking?

Starts to tear pages out of journal

mina

And THIS! July 1st, 2016. “Didn’t get invited to Lucy’s first of July party. Was absolutely devastated.”

Starts to laugh

mina

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. I can’t even stand to look at myself in the mirror after reading that crap.

Starts pacing around the room

mina

What am I supposed to do now? Go to therapy Mina, you’ll feel better. Talk to someone Mina, you’ll feel better. Take your meds Mina, you’ll feel better. F**K the therapy F**K the talking F**K the meds. Why aren’t I allowed to just FEEL. Feel the anger, feel the sadness, feel whatever you call this empty hollow dead feeling that I can’t seem to shake.

Enter Death

death

That feeling that you’re describing? That’ me. That’s my presence. That’s me getting a little bit closer every day.

End scene. Black out.

ACT ONE SCENE SIX: CLOSER AND CLOSER

The next day at school. Open to a classroom. Students remain frozen in place. Soft wash fades, spotlight on Mina

mina

There once was a time when I enjoyed this you know. The drama, the other teenagers, the teachers, the lessons. I actually liked school. I actually liked life. But it’s just teenage angst, isn’t it?

Other students slowly come to life, spotlight fades and wash comes up.

teacher

Alright class please turn to page three hundred and ninety-four in your textbook.

student one

Hey Mina

Mina ignores student

student one

MINA

mina

WHAT?

student one

Page three hundred and ninety-four

mina

F**k off

student one

Excuse me?

mina

I said F**K OFF

Class freezes

mina

Okay, I probably shouldn’t have said that. But I can’t help myself. After all, we’re all going to die soon, why not say what you’re actually thinking?

death

Enters

It’s true, we all die sooner or later. The question is, is your time sooner than you think it is?

mina

Who are you?

death

I’m the voice in your head, of course. I’m life, I’m death. I’m what comes at the end.

mina

Well…it was nice to meet you.

death

Was it?

Class unfreezes

teacher

Mina! See me after class.

Mina

Whatever.

Exit classmates.

teacher

I don’t know what’s gotten into you lately Mina.

mina

Mhm.

teacher

I’m serious young lady. You’re heading down the wrong path.

mina

That’s assuming I’m headed down any path at all.

teacher

Excuse me?

mina

Nothing.

teacher

Look, Mina, if there’s anything that you want to talk about-

mina

I’ve got to go. Go help somebody that actually needs it.

Exit Teacher. Enter Boyfriend

boyfriend

Hey what’s up? Why did you have to stay after class?

mina

No reason.

boyfriend

Come on Mina, talk to me.

mina

There’s nothing to talk about, okay? Calm down.

Silence

mina

What?

boyfriend

Mina…I think we should break up.

mina

Excuse the f**k out of me?

boyfriend

The way you’ve been acting has made it clear to me that we’re on different paths in this life and I really think that we should try to follow our own paths now and-

mina

You’re breaking up with me?

boyfriend

Well…yeah. Yes, I am Mina. It’s just that-

mina

Oh, don’t give me that bullshit. You just can’t handle the fact that I want to die.

boyfriend

-and I think that honestly, we’re at different places in our lives right now and-

mina

ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME????

boyfriend

-and I still love you of course that’s what makes this so much harder-

mina

For God’s sake don’t lie to me you never loved me! How could anyone ever love me?

boyfriend

-and that’s why I think we should break up.

Silence

mina

Just go.

Boyfriend hesitates, then exits.

mina

Well that’s one less person who gives a damn.

End scene. Blackout.

ACT ONE SCENE SEVEN: THERAPY CONTINUED

Open to same scene as beforehand, this time Mina is holding a box of tissues and crying.

mina

And so after he broke up with me I went straight to some guy I barely knew and I slept with him. I SLEPT with him. In a dirty, cheap motel, like a w***e.

therapist

And how did you feel after? Did it solve any of your problems?

mina

Of course not! I just wanted to feel loved for a couple of seconds. But who was I kidding.

therapist

Mina, have you ever heard of something called borderline personality disorder?

Mina

No, why?

therapist

I suspect that it has something to do with your behavior.

mina

My behavior? You say that like there’s something wrong with the way I’ve been acting. I’ve just stopped pretending, that’s all. What’s wrong with that? Is it too REAL for any of you?

therapist

Well no I just think that-

mina

You know what? This is a waste of time. Either give me a diagnosis or not.

therapist

Well I can’t be sure…

mina

Then who can be sure?

therapist

Well you’d have to go through intensive psychological testing by a registered psychiatrist and then we could go about treating you properly from there.

mina

Okay well then send me to a psychiatrist.

therapist

It’s not that simple. There’s about a year and a half to two year waiting list. And it costs quite a bit of money.

mina

So what am I supposed to do for two f*****g years?

therapist

Wait.

mina

If I had an undiagnosed heart condition and I was told to WAIT for two years before anyone could decide how to treat me I would die.

therapist

Well, yes, but you see this is a little bit different.

mina

I don’t see how thoughts are any less deadly than a heart condition.

therapist

Mina, you’re being irrational here.

Enter Death

death

Are you?

mina

Of course I’m not!

death

Are you sure?

mina

Of course I’m sure!

therapist

Mina…who are you talking to?

                      

mina

Nobody! Screw off!

therapist

Woah okay we really need to work on this aggressive behavior-

mina

And you need to work on minding your own damn business!

Storms out.

End scene. Blackout.

ACT ONE SCENE EIGHT: DEATH BECOMETH THEE

Open to empty apron. Spotlight on Mina.

mina

What do you do when you run out of options? What do you do when you’ve tried everything that you can try? What do you do when you have nothing left to lose?

Offstage

mother

Mina! Mina where are you?

father

          Mina we just got a call from the doctor

mother

Mina what’s going on? Have you been taking your meds?

Onstage

mina

I wish there was some way that they could understand. But we are incapable of fully understanding one another. We can try. We can empathize. But we can never truly understand.

death

I understand

mina

Didn’t you hear what I just said? Nobody. Nobody is capable of understanding perfectly.

death

I am neither anybody nor nobody. I am death. I can understand.

mina

That’s all I want…is somebody to understand.

Death hands Mina a gun.

death

Are you sure?

mina

Is anybody ever sure?

death

No I suppose not

 

The End

© 2017 Elisa


Author's Note

Elisa
I need help choosing a better ending but I'd like to leave it up to the audience to decide whether she lives or dies

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on October 14, 2017
Last Updated on October 14, 2017
Tags: mature content, mature language, play, mental health

Author

Elisa
Elisa

North Bay, Ontario, Canada



About
Hi! I'm a 19 year old with a lot of free time who likes to get up and write in the middle of the night. more..