A Dream's Exodus

A Dream's Exodus

A Story by Elise Pehrson

I felt the damp air and rain kiss my porcelain skin; I closed my eyes in this dark December night air. The moon was the only source of light, and even that light was scarce as it hid behind misty skies. I felt his hand slide into mine, each of our fingers parallel and fitting together more perfectly than a puzzle. He pulled me close, wrapping one arm around my nineteen-year-old back, and rested his forehead down on mine, whispering, "You are too beautiful for your own good. How did this happen, my love? How did I find you?" My heart stopped, my cheeks reddened, how did this happen? This doesn't happen to someone like me, someone with philophobia, the fear of falling in love.

 

I shook my head, tears rolling down my face, "I-I can't..." I tried to whisper back but choked and trailed off; luckily, for me, John always has the right words to say.

 

"It's alright," he hushed, "we'll be together again soon, don't you worry about it. My train is leaving though, I have to get going." He slowly pulled away, but for me it seemed like he whipped away in an instant. I raised my hand towards him, but took it back, realizing he'd have to leave eventually no matter how I'd try to stop him. The moonlight caught unto the diamonds and sapphires of my new engagement ring. I lowered my heard and fiddled with the ring, fighting back the many tears that would soon break through my trembling eyelids. Somehow a tear managed to squeaze its way out onto my cheek, which broke the barrier. I started to whimper, fighting every moment of it, until I felt his strong, yet tender hand lift my face towards his. The sapphires in my ring were the palest of blue compared to the stunning bright ocean of John's gentle eyes. The tears gravitated down my face; what's the point of holding them in now, I thought, so I held back no longer as I collapsed into his arms, tears staining his military uniform.

 

"I want to be with you forever," I panted. My sniveling eyes burrowed deep into his chest, my body shaking, lungs collapsing. I felt his right arm move up and his hand brush slowly down my long blonde hair. He tousled and twirled it around his index finger, then just held me tightly against him.

 

"I am always with you," he whispered, "We will be together forever, just you wait," He pulled back carefully and held my face in his hands. I sniffed as he dried the tears with the back of his hand up to the top of his finger, one last time before he left for war. A faint yell from a man on an intercom rang through the air; his voice buzzed through my spine colder than the chill of the night air. I knew what was coming next.

 

"I have to go now, the train is leaving, my sweet Evelynn," John quietly whispered just before kissing my hand and forehead for the last time in this lonely year of 1941, "I'll be back before you know it," I kissed his cheek and he kissed my rosy lips, then our hands slid apart and he left with the winter night wind. I watched him walk away; so strong and noble. I grabbed the handkerchief from my black dress pocket, drying my nose and cheeks. I started to pull it towards my eyes when I saw John's initials on it. I clutched it to my chest and looked up to see if he was gone. My heart has never felt so full but empty; my body so frail and weak. The Great Depression was nothing compared to this.

 

The dawn fell still; the rain had stopped for a while now and I'm just standing here waiting. Not sure of what I'm waiting for, but my legs can't seem to move. If it weren't for my fair skin and hair, I would be mistaken for just another stationary object in this dark avenue. My dress and stockings as black as the night and emptiness of my heart covered me from head to toe. I looked around me at what else, and who else, might be here too. Nothing. No one. Nothing but a few trash cans, street lights, benches, and fluttering pieces of old newspapers.

 

I finally managed to lift up one leg and drop it back down on the cold cement when I felt something under me stick to the bottom of my shiny black boot. I looked down to find it was the heading of some hair product article from the day before: "This product is the best in California! Hurry now and buy this product before it's too late! The sale ends today, December 11!" How can an article be so cheery when my heart is breaking so deeply?

 

The train whistled finally and began dissappearing into the jet black abyss of hopes, dreams, and my nightmares; I hope he'll be alright. Missing someone is part of loving them; you don't know how much you really love them until they're away. I just hope he comes back.

© 2013 Elise Pehrson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is such a sad and beautiful piece. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to wait for the man I loved to come home. It would break my heart. Your details really brought this story to life. The way she stood there waiting said so much more than words ever could.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is such a sad and beautiful piece. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to wait for the man I loved to come home. It would break my heart. Your details really brought this story to life. The way she stood there waiting said so much more than words ever could.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
1 Review
Added on December 8, 2011
Last Updated on February 28, 2013

Author

Elise Pehrson
Elise Pehrson

About
"If you know what you are going to write when you're writing a poem, it's going to be average." --Derek Walcott My new book "Forever Fair" is available on Amazon and on demand at any store in the U.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Elise Pehrson