A Watcher From the After Life

A Watcher From the After Life

A Story by Elizabeth

                                              

                      I awoke from the haze of my dreams and assessed my surroundings as I became coherent. It was early morning I could feel the chill of the new day as I glanced outside to inspect the morning dew that rested upon the blades of grass outside my window. I stretched bringing life back to my sleepy body and arose from my bed. I noticed a figure that stood in my corner, it appeared as a person but had a filmy haze outline surrounding it.

                   The figure in my room was a guy. A guy with short black hair and electric green eyes. I knew I should have been afraid but instead I was captivated. I came to realization he was not from this world.  I could see the absence of life in his stature. He seemed familiar though like a piece of me knew him but I couldn't recall who he was. The familiarity of him comforted me and I did not feel afraid by his presence. I knew he would do me no harm. He just stood there slouched against my wall analyzing me with a worried expression. Compelled I stepped forward and my hand met the dull outline of his existence. He was intangible, my fingers swept right through him. "Who are you?" I softly spoke. Instead of responding he began to wander slowly throughout my room as if he were taking into account his surroundings. The way he moved intrigued me, he was so godlike and beautiful like he had just waltz out of heaven. His outline glistened like a full body halo. He inspected my entire room, dragging his feet across my zebra rug, brushing his hands across my red bed spread as his eyes looked upon my numerous posters plastered across the walls. I just watched him looking around like it had been an extensive amount of time since he had been in a room, or maybe even since he had been on earth. "What is happening?" I thought to myself, "Can I see the dead?"  The whole situation suddenly made sense. I had a visitor in my room, and this visitor was a ghost that I could see. As I came to this conclusion he nodded at me knowing what I had just realized. This is unreal I must of acquired some sort of power. My eyes were still fixated on him and as he began to suddenly fade away. He started to fade into the wall but just before he no longer existed I urgently reached out and grabbed hold of him. Instantly everything went black.

                    With my eyes still closed I felt the air rushing back to my lungs like the life had left my body for a moment. Still not fully conscious I could feel the cold hard wood floor my body was pressed against, it was ice to the touch. Wearingly, my eyelids fluttered back. He stood over me and I heard the words "Impossible" escape from his mouth. I was in a small house, with dusty windows and wooden decaying walls. The house reeked of death. I turned to him, "Where am I?" I demanded, "Am I Dead?"

                  "I can’t believe this has happened" He blurted. "No you're not dead, but somehow you're here in the land in-between where the dead reside." He spoke. "What?" I declared with a puzzled expression. He walked over to the tattered window "Look.” He urged. I approached the broken window and when I looked out all I could do was gasp. It was indescribable, a place of non-earthly existence. Where there was supposed to be ground a thick transparent fog lay. It seemed to stretch on forever in infinite nothingness. The sky was a deep black. The sky and the ground seemed to connect together the only thing differentiating them was the beings slowly treading throughout the dark plane. They were dark ominous creatures clothed in shambled flowing cloaks only their pale white faces adorned with sorrow were exposed. Their vibrant intoxicating eyes were the single indication of life I saw in this place.

                    Terrified I stepped back from the window and fell to the floor. He rushed to my side "Don't be afraid" He comforted me. "I know why you're here, it all makes sense now." I was so overwhelmed I could not control the tears that began to flow from my eyes. This morning I woke up in the comfort and familiarity of my own bed and now I was in a distant terrifying world. "Maybe explaining things will help." He said. "My name is Nathan, as you can see I’m not like you. I'm dead. When I died all the knowledge of my previous lives and my current meshed together and I had a new understanding. You see we are just souls possessing the shells of our bodies. We live many lives with the same soul but occupy different bodies. Throughout my entire lives one thing was similar. That similarity was you. No matter what obstacles I faced you always found you're way into my life. We have shared all of our previous lives together in marriage. Sadly, in my most recent life I died before I made your acquaintance. This time when I died I found myself in this cursed place. I found I could only leave this wretched place to watch over you in your house. Today was different though, today you could see me. I think I have a notion why. In this awful land, we are all lost souls. We are trapped here to forever wander the darkness. I believe the indefinite connection of our souls gave you the power to see me and the powers to bring yourself here to this lost land. I think you were brought you here to free me and all the lost souls." I don’t know what you’re talking about I want to go home!" I shrieked. I can't believe this has actually happened. I have only heard of such things as this in book or in movies it’s not a reality." I curled up in a ball on the floor and rested my head on my knees not wanting to process this situation.

                   I felt as Nathan sat beside me and soothingly put his arm across me. I turned my head and looked at Nathan I could see the truth in his eyes and sense it in his touch. Pondering what was going on I looked out the open window. Look at the pain in the eyes of the lost souls they are just stuck to forever wander this horrid place. I have to save them. With my new found ambition I got up off the ancient floor and began a determined strut out the door. As soon as I stepped outside the stench of the lost ones hit me. I smelled the stench of dead rotting souls. The lost ones were aimlessly walking around the fog strewn area it looked like their minds were in another place and they had no control of their movements. Taken away by the sight of this I stood still for a moment. How can I possibly save them? Suddenly, I felt a cold grasp on my arm. When I turned I saw a very familiar face looking back at me. "Grandma!" I exclaimed. She looked nothing like herself the life in her was absent. She stood there with my arm in her grip and solemnly smiled at me. "ahh, my dear I knew we would be meeting again soon." she exasperated. As I opened my mouth to begin to bombard her with questions she raised her finger to silence me. "There isn't much time for small talk. I can sense the power you possess within you. It is powerful, powerful enough to defeat the corrupt creator of this abyss." She said and raised her hand as she spoke into the direction of a small glimmer of blood red light. "Go to where he resides and destroy him free all of us, I believe in you." She declared. She then began to back away and I lost sight of her in the fog. "No Grandma, Come Back!" I screamed.

                 My dismay was comforted by a warm presence was by my side I knew it was Nathan. "You just love to creep up on me don't you" I spoke. He responded with a smile and grabbed hold of my hand. "Don't be afraid of what lies ahead I will stay by your side no matter what." He said reassuringly. I heard light footsteps begin to close in around us. The lost ones had gathered in a circle and they slowly walked in synchronization getting closer and closer to us. They had a hungry look on their faces. They were hungry for my soul. I closed my eyes accepting my unfortunate fate.

                 "Stop you fools!" Nathan hollered. "She's different than us, that is why you thirst for her. If you kill her you are just condemning her and yourselves to this land forever. She can save us! Spare her life and you spare yourself of an eternity of suffering!" He screamed to the circle. A wind swept through and the lost ones disappeared. I let out a huge breath of relief. I'm still alive for now. I wrapped my arms around Nathan and embraced him. "Thank you so much" I gasped. "No problem lets go." He spoke. We walked in silence towards the distant light. It seemed so far away but in a couple steps we arrived to our desired destination. It was another small house similar to the one I arrived in. I can do this I just have to use my power I have within. Before I entered Nathan once again grabbed my hand and reassuringly squeezed it. Hand in hand we entered the dwelling drenched in fear.

                We entered the house and saw a middle aged man casually leaning against the wall. He had fire red hair and cool ice eyes. He had been expecting us. "Took you long enough. I don't like waiting. You almost missed the appointment for your death." He said accompanied with a laugh. He raised his hand and I was hit with an intense force. I flew across the room my body smacking against the wall. I could feel the anger and fear building up inside of me. With the flick of the man’s hand Nathan was pinned up against the other wall incapable of movement. Someone who has possesses this power and evil could only be the creator of this dark abyss. He strutted over to me and I could sense his hatred. Fire began to form from his fingertips. I knew this would be the end of me. In defense I raised my hands to shield myself from the oncoming fire. To my amazement, a cold substance began to flow from my hands. It was ice. The ice spawned from my palms and formed a huge cloud completely incasing the man. He was frozen in his place surrounded by ice. Nathan began laughing in the corner seeing that I had defeated him. In righteousness I kicked the statue of ice and it shattered into a million pieces. We heard a commotion outside the house so we rushed outside.

                  All the lost souls had transformed into rays of golden light. Light radiated everywhere. The light rays were levitating up to the sky one by one. They were finally free. I looked back to Nathan. "Don’t be sad my love, I will be watching over you waiting for you to join me in the afterlife" He whispered as he placed a kiss on my forehead. Before I could respond I blacked out. I awoke in my bed.

   

  

 

© 2013 Elizabeth


Author's Note

Elizabeth
This was just a project for school but I became quite passionate about writing it. Please be kind !

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

....So wait....was that all just a dream? Either way, that was a really great story. Honestly, when i look back on it, i can really find anything wrong with it. I love the plot, i love the sense of imagery, i love the choice of words in the dialect, i pretty much like everything about this story. I can't say that about many either. Great write and well done. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Elizabeth

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much its means alot to me !
Croatoan

11 Years Ago

No problem. ^__^

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 1, 2013
Last Updated on January 1, 2013
Tags: beginner, romantic, school project, super power, ghosts, after life

Author

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

CA



About
My name is Elizabeth. I am 16 years of age and I reside in Southern California. I dabble in writing and would consider myself mediocre at it. more..