LOST IN BATTLE

LOST IN BATTLE

A Poem by Ellen Hammond
"

I do not mean to slight the many women who now join the armed forces and risk their lives alongside the men. But way back when I was young, it was young men who were drafted and called into battle. This was written from such a mother's view point.

"

 

 

 

 

 

"Lost in battle," is what she read

The army's message, that her son was dead


"He was a true soldier, proud and brave"

Gave little comfort beside his grave


All hopes and dreams and life's desire

 Ended abruptly by enemy fire

 

  He fought for his country and freedom they say

With little concern for the price he would pay


All the tales of glory and heroes' lore

 Can never prepare us for the horrors of war

 

Now the battles are over and victory's won

 But how many mothers are mourning a son?

 

 

 


© 2009 Ellen Hammond


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"All foreign wars I do proclaim
Live on the blood and the mother's pain
I'd rather have my son as he used to be
Than the King of America and his whole navy"

-Bruce Springsteen, "Mrs McGrath"

I think this sums it up quite well. I lost my fiancee to the Iraq War. Not to an IED, but to PTSD. He came back alive, with vital parts of his mind and personality dead. He came back with a devastating case of alcoholism and rage issues. And they say to me, "You don't support our troops if you question the validity of the war"

and I say back, "I have to make decisions every day that make research animals give up their lives for the cause of bettering humanity. By law, I am held accountable for assuring that there is a good reason to put an animal's life, sanity, or well-being in jeopardy. Why aren't warlords held equally accountable for the liberties they take with our mother's daughters and sons?"

This struck a chord, Ellen. Thank you. There is no comfort for a mother, either for the message of "honor in death" nor for the message "alive but wishes he were dead"





Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I was thinking of women lost in battle just last night. But I was also thinking that in ancient days two warriors would face each other eye to eye and do battle hand to hand. All of the women and most of the men listed in the pages I visited last night were simply blown up by cowardly set improvised Explosive Devices. On their side most of the men and women are killed by precision crafted bombs that we launch. The sad part is that we never look into the eye of our enemys anymore.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lost in Battle- a very touching poem and I could feel the grief and what could of been, from this awesome poem. Thanks for your words. I gave this poem to my sister who has a son , my nephew in Afghanistan.
My nephew was not drafted nor was he promised anything. My nephew went to war because of a friend who went and did not come back.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ohh Ellen dear I really loved those thoughts you put here..and who is better than me to tell about wars
I witnessed three of them..the last one I escaped death through car bombs three times..
I really loved the review by my friend Marie Anzalone..she said it all even for the blind to see
what more can I add..war,glory victory..they just laugh at us with these words
off course if someone is sitting at home and knows nothing he could believe everything
wars ..all wars are nothing but misery and suffering..endless suffering..so many deaths
you could never count..so many tears shed..so many minds gone astray..what a pity
thank you for telling us about how miserable we came to be..I am always reminded..

Posted 14 Years Ago


Thanks, Ellen. I'm retired from the US Navy and a Vietnam vet. How I wish there were no wars and that no mother or father would ever have to hear such news. For all the advances mankind has made, he still doesn't have enough sense to quit killing his brothers and sisters. Sad, so sad.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wrote my own simple piece for the UK's Remembrance Sunday so, imagine how deeply your words mean to me, Ellen. Over the past weekend, whilst events and memorial services were going on, three more of our soldiers died in Afghanistan.

But apart from that .. every year throughout our country, at 11.00 on the 11th day of the 11th month here, most traffic will stop, people will stand still at railway stations big and small, children will be asked to say a prayer at schools, super market tills stop and shoppers will stand still, etc. etc. ... for two minutes .. and yet, and yet, wars still continue in spite of the year in-year-out tribute ..

Your beautiful poem says it all. Pity our world leaders can't read it.

How many wars our planet seen? Have they all been rehearsals for the very last one?

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Great tribute with so much sadness .. for the mother's that lose a son.. wives that lose a partner, children that may lose a father... etc. Of course no pain to me would be greater than the loss of one' s own child.. this was so touching. Is war worth the effort of a battle for peace and freedom that may never come??? We all ponder if so many lives throughout the years were lost in vain.

I also agree with Fabian.. when war is called.. the politicians that order our troops out should be standing in front line with our troops.. such was how great wars were fought in a great past of Kings and kingdoms.. the hands that govern.. should carry the same mighty shield and sword.. if only! Today they fight on the paper and financial front. Thank you for sharing such an awesome piece of writing from your beautiful and compassionate soul.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

"Now the battles are over and victory's won" Well, if this piece were referring to the war in Vietnam, I can tell you plainly that the fifty eight thousand, one hundred and fifty one citizens and soldiers of the United States which died there died in vain and for nothing. There was no victory and no gain at all from their deaths. The government of this country sent those young men and women to their deaths with no purpose achieved at all other than our national shame.
I have two brothers who served in Vietnam that I love dearly and I am lucky to still have them both. 58, 151 others are not so fortunate. I firmly believe that when war is inevitable, the politicians should be the first forced to serve on the front lines of combat. This was a compassionate write for the suffering inflicted by the price of war.

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful tribute to the lost ones of the wars mankind so creatively starts amongst ourselves. The pain and agony felt by a parent can never be soothed with the folded flag or condolences of a official statement from government. You certainly wrote with a most compassionate and creative pen when doing this piece. As always that wonderful heart of yours poured your all into it it. Keep writing, the world sorely lacks the compassion you are putting forth.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A perfect poem for Remembrance Day. It is short, easy to read and certainly covers the all of the ramifications of War. The presentation is soooo wonderful. Your talent is endless, and appreciated by all of us here on the caf�. I've never once been disappointed with anything of yours. You are my inspiration to keep going. Hugs to you dear friend. B.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was truly a remarkable write... so sad... it is true that for many of us we see them as heros but it can never ease the loss of the actual families who lose the loved one in battle.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1081 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 6, 2009
Last Updated on November 14, 2009

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Demented Demented

A Poem by Jason


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen