THROUGH THE STORMS OF LIFE

THROUGH THE STORMS OF LIFE

A Poem by Ellen Hammond

THROUGH THE STORMS OF LIFE

Image


Lord, thank you for your compassion
And the assurance you'll always care
As the psalmist said, "If I go to the

Depths of hell, you are with me there"

And through this time of misery
Of both great loss and pain
I cry out, "Lord please hold on tight"
As the sea of life overwhelms me again

Just as the tide was ebbing
And I felt I could stand my ground
A bigger wave came crashing in
And started anot
her round

 

 

So I opened up my Bible
Seeking solace and relief
And read again the book of Job
It brought some comfort from my grief

Not that I'm so righteous
But I place my trust in You
Knowing that whatever comes
You will see me through

 

Yet as this storm is raging
And I'm tossed to and fro
Sin and temptation filter through
In the undertow

As the storm rages fierce around me
I try to hold on tight
But the darkness is over-powering
And You seem to drift from my sight

Just as I feel too weary
Slipping beneath a wave
You tighten your grasp upon me
And I know my Lord, You save

 


(c)Ellen Hammond

© 2009 Ellen Hammond


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I've never read anyone who used water metaphors more skillfully than you, Ellen my friend! After over two weeks, I still can't get "The Sea Of Life" out of my mind, and this'un shall join that'un, I've no doubt.Throughout the Bible water has been used to represent danger, conquered by faith, weakened by fear (Peter), inevitability (Jonah) subservience (Jesus), love (Mary), and cleansing (Eunuch,et al), as well as many others. You, my dear, seem to have an encyclopedic knowledge of all ways water can heighten the Christian experience. Thank you simply doesn't seem enough!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ellen you really know how to feel your reader with inspiration and faith with your graceful writing... certainly something we all need in these hard times and holiday season. Thank you for your uplifting words.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ellen,

I am so fortunate to have landed on this piece today. Perhaps I was led to this poem..
I greatly needed these words of inspiration, and you presented them so eloquently. Thank you dear lady for this most beautiful, important poem.



Posted 14 Years Ago


I read this several times and just discovered I didn't leave a review. Distractions are always upon me. I love this, I found it so calming which is what is needed dearly around here.
Just as the tide was ebbing
And I felt I could stand my ground
A bigger wave came crashing in
And started another round

So I opened up my Bible
Seeking solace and relief
And read again the book of Job
It brought some comfort from my grief
This is so amazing I have no words to tell you ... Thank you so much

Posted 14 Years Ago


9 months later this is still a blessing to read!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This was powerful and uplifting.. a portrayal of both surreal and realistic metaphors and philosophy of spirituality. I truly was moved.. the rhythm, rhyme and flow along with the depths each stanza.. blending with each image made this a collasal piece of poetic literature.. truly divine! Life certainly is full of storms.. and here you feel the sensation of almost being overswept by that giant crashing wave in life.. to be found, rescued and saved. It's strange how sometimes we need to fall.. to find that light.. and that we are never truly alone.. it just depends on what you believe in.. and if you allow faith in. Beautiful and profound!

Posted 14 Years Ago


this reminds me of the walking on the water scene in the bible
where peter loses his faith and begins to sink
and jesus saves him

just seemed to connect....


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear Ellen,

Very well written, heartfelt, and inspired. A wonderful poem. Greatly enjoyed.

Life is always full of tribulations, and just as your think you're over one, another crashes over you. And what an appropriate thing to look at but the book of Job to remind you how someone can persevere in the face of tremendous hardships. And I know having read your bio that you know all about this.

A powerful write.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You express the way of Christianity so well here.
The truth that it's not all easy going, but that God never lets go.
Wonderfully written, your skill is again evident here.

Yours truly,
cloud6

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh dear Ellen......I,m sitting here at my work desk, trying to hide my tears from my fellow workmates. My heart is full. You are so so gifted. I think I,ll switch my t.v. on one day soon and you,ll be there looking back at me. Such a natural. Noone in their right mind could,nt like all your work or indeed appreciate it !!!
This one is a favourite for me...so that,s just where it,s going....right in to my folder. I will use this one when I need it along with the others of course !! Thanks for allowing us to share with you.
Babsie Bee xxx

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fantastic and beautiful, full of faith and hope. This was a pleasure to read. I remember the words of Seneca saying, " All my life I have been trying to pull myself up out of the wretched pit of my sins and I have not been able, and I know that I never will be able unless a hand is let down to help me up." That picture at the bottom there, very nice.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1438 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on March 9, 2009
Last Updated on March 9, 2009

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen


Demented Demented

A Poem by Jason