MOTHERS'  DAY (from a Mother's perspective)

MOTHERS' DAY (from a Mother's perspective)

A Poem by Ellen Hammond
"

Years after my own mother had passed away, I was asked to write a poem for Mothers' Day. Well, the more I looked for inspiration the harder it was. Then one night, I woke up in the middle of the night to scribble this on paper.

"
 

MOTHERS'  DAY


 
 
 

Mothers' Day was set apart
So each could look within the heart
With love and wisdom to discover
What it means to be a mother.
 

As all show their gratitude
In ways old and new;
I thank God, dear children
For each one of you.
 


When you were an infant
So helpless and new
My heart overflowed
With great love for you.

 

 
As a child you shared your laughter,
Excitement, faith, and joy.
I rediscovered life, through the eyes
Of a young girl or boy.


 
 
There were times of sorrow,
Fears, tears, and pain.
But they'd also enrich me
With the wisdom I'd gain.


 
 
Yes, you are a true blessing,
Much more than you know;
For in your unique way 
You've each caused me to grow.



(c)Ellen Hammond

© 2009 Ellen Hammond


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow you did a wonderful job...i am so sorry for your mother of passing on...but its wonderful that you wrote this...you must of had strength to do so..since i would imagine it would be hard at first...i would think it would be a wonder to be a mother to see your little ones grow up...a wonderful job explaining that.
Great Job :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow two month passed mother's day and this poem is not dated at all. This poems backs up the theory that every day can be mother's day for the moms out there that are loving and educating their children. Wonderful, wonderful poem!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is very beautiful. Such a heart-felt piece to share with mothers out there. Lovely, truly. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Yes, you've summed up the parenting journey, haven't you? Helplessly adoring the newborn, experiencing the vicarious joys of childhood, hinting at the trials of dealing with an adolescent... and the enormous personal growth that results from going through it all. Nice write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a truly beautiful poem, the words you've written conjur up every feeling a mother could have and you've done it without being sickly-sweet but subtly meaningful and thankful.

I think, no, I'm sure you must be a wonderful mother. This is a tribute to motherhood by a mother.

'Yes, you are a true blessing,/ Much more than you know; / For in your unique way / You've each caused me to grow.' What a fitting and smiley finish!


Posted 15 Years Ago


I love this! And that last picture is amazing. Children are God's gift and the greatest lesson they teach us as parents is sacrifice being a measure of love. We go without so our children can have what they need, we put aside our lives for theirs. Your mother is surely smiling down from heaven on this lovely write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Absolutely beautiful poetry with a beautiful ending. My daughter is on the brink of giving me my first grandchild. her due date was the 24th. She was born on mothers day herself May 9, 1976, so perhaps she can hold out 'till mothers day.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Those of us that have lost their mothers will still be thinking of them on Mother's Day..We all love you mom..God bless..Valentine

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So sweet ellen....
and so touching.....
I just have tears in my eyes due to d wonderful words of love and d last photograph......
Thank u so much for sharing this with me.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

thats is really wonderful tribute to motherhood... one of the most noble things to do in this world and many times to little recognition... I lost my mom 3 years ago but her teaching and love are still with me as is she in my heart.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

gorgeous poem!
"My heart overflowed
With great love for you." Is my favourite line :)
Wonderful tribute!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1371 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 22, 2009
Last Updated on April 22, 2009

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..