Utopia is on the other side

Utopia is on the other side

A Stage Play by Elliot Bell
"

James and Elliot Production

"

 Utopia Is On The Other Side

 

Characters:

Ava

Mable

Hester

James

Irving

Henry

Officers (2)

Interviewer

Nurse

Setting:  London, end of the century amidst invention and a totalitarian regime.

 

Act I, Scene I

 

(The pitter-patter of rain on the back window can be heard. Ava, Irving, Henry, and Mable sit on a large sofa while James sits on the floor cross-legged. Hester leans on the wide window, dazedly staring out.)

 

AVA:

The world is changing.

 

JAMES:

And we are prepared in the least.

 

HESTER:

(slightly looks away from the window)

I have heard wonders of the new world.

 

MABLE:

What has happened to effort? Is it of no value anymore?

 

IRVING:

With all the approaching waves of industrialization, we are a dying breed. Laziness is the new fashion.

 

HENRY:

Soon to die in six months.

(All chuckle)

 

AVA:

Honestly, though, I don’t feel we should judge necessarily. It is simply a new mode of survival.

 

 

MABLE:

But it is preposterous to live without dreamers.

 

HENRY:

Dreaming is a lost cause.

 

HESTER:

In your dreams!

 

JAMES:

How can one say that dreaming is gone when one is an artist!

 

HENRY:

Blimey, stop judging me, will ya?

 

IRVING:

Not so sure that is possible with karma and all.

 

HENRY:

I am not judgmental. I have never criticized any of you for the flaws you may have. How dare you accuse me of such?

 

MABLE:

Alrighty then, enough fighting. We have much more to deal with.

 

AVA:

Precisely, such as being poor, possibly. With everyone’s attention towards manufacturing production, the arts will have failed.

 

HESTER:

Why don’t we create a modern renaissance?

 

JAMES:

Ha! And try to rival the artists of time’s past?

 

MABLE:

Perhaps.

 

IRVING:

Well, if this current society in midst of change, is willing to accept us.

 

JAMES:

 Exactly. They never will. Our time of play has distinctly ended. Have you not looked outside? What do you see Hester?

 

 

HESTER:

I pray I’m blind.

 

HENRY:

Hester, what do you see? We have a point to make here.

 

HESTER:

Only militants. No more anarchy, have I seen. Not a single freedom cry.

(Tears roll down cheek)

 

MABLE:

Certainly, times have changed. But that gives no reason to give up.

 

IRVING:

Give up or it’s death to us.

 (chuckles)

 

AVA:

That’s not a laughing matter.

 

HENRY:

Nothing appears to be a laughing matter with you.

 

AVA:

Well, this is about our future, and that need not be humorous. Do you want to survive?

 

IRVING:

When was survival part of our goal? I’m sure we all knew our work would not lead to financial success. Nor would it secure us fame. You need stop your complaining.

 

AVA:

Survival and well-being are part of human nature, no?

 

MABLE:

Alright, alright, calm down you guys. This is much too petty. (Hester begins to squeak in between sobs)

 

JAMES:

Hester, why are you ever so crying? We are all a tad argumentative, but that should not allow you to cry. Guys, apologize.

 

HESTER:

No, it’s okay. It’s just terrible that we have to eradicate the very thing that represents us from this Earth. This is the destruction of theatre!

 

 

IRVING:

And what do you propose what we do about it?

 

HENRY:

(sarcastically)

I toast to selling out, adaptation is the way of evolution.

 

MABLE:

I fear change, it is so distraught.

 

IRVING:

Then how is it possible for your continued existence in society?

 

MABLE:

Maybe I don’t want to be part of society.

 

HENRY:

Humans are but social creatures, you can’t change that.

 

MABLE:

Just watch me. Why must I change for the new government. Society needs to realize not all of us shall be a part of it. (Everyone cringes)

 

AVA:

Where are you going to go? There is no escape. Some things are purely necessary.

 

MABLE:

I shall live in the forest and such and feast on my own. Go to my most primitive.

 

JAMES:

Look, sis, I’m staying here in the city. I can’t possibly thrive in the forest!

 

IRVING:

Mable, do you not think this is a terrible idea? I mean going to the woodlands for camp is nice for a few days, but we are city-folk.

 

HENRY:

Do you not think this is a change for you? The very thing you fear the most?

 

MABLE:

At least then my career will not change. I shall act in the woods. And James will live with me.

 

HESTER:

Are you sure that’s a good idea?

 

 

AVA:

You can’t go Mable. That would break up our troupe.

 

 

MABLE:

Well, I’m certainly not remaining here. I simply can’t. One can not even look out the window and see clear skies.

 

JAMES:

You can’t see that trees above your head, either.

 

MABLE:

Oh be quiet. Why would you want to be stuck in this place where the government will regulate what one performs?

 

HENRY:

Any possible way to change your mind?

 

MABLE:

Never.

 

IRVING:

Pack your bags, James. You’re moving to the forest.

 

HESTER:

Are you exceptionally serious?

 

MABLE:

Incredibly. Come on James, let’s pack our bags.

 

CURTAIN

 

Act I, Scene II

 

(It is raining once again. Two settings. One side of the stage is lit with Henry and Irving trying to “adapt” by going to a job interview in a gray monotone office with a desk, while the dark portion is in the same apartment with Ava and Hester)

 

HENRY:

How long must we linger here?

 

IRVING:

You know how they treat us, no respect. What can we do about it?

 

HENRY:

What career path will they choose out for us?

IRVING:

Pray it be something entertaining.

 

HENRY:

I hope so, but once again what can artists do but imagine and these jobs do not have an ounce of creativity.

 

IRVING:

Ugh, so very unfortunately true.

(Enter Interviewer)

 

INTERVIEWER:

Well, hello. What interests do you have coming here today?

 

IRVING:

Well, this is a place for career opportunities and we were simply searching for one.

 

INTERVIWER:

What experience do you have?

 

HENRY:

We both went to Eton, if that has any meaning nowadays.

 

INTERVIEWER:

What profession did you have previous to the change of government?

 

IRVING:

We were both producers.

 

INTERVIWER:

Of what manufacturer?

 

HENRY:

No, producers for the theatre.

 

INTERVIEWER:

(eyebrows go up)

Oh, I see.

 

IRVING:

What is that supposed to mean?

 

INTERVIEWER:

Nothing. It will simply be difficult to associate both of you to a new area of occupation for nothing we have quite deals with the arts.

 

IRVING:

(Under breath)

Obviously.

HENRY:

What is available then?

 

INTERVIEWER:

Factory lines. Here are some forms (shuffles through papers on desk)

 

(Transition to Hester and Ava in the apartment, the light goes on. The light slowly dims in the job office. Ava is on the sofa, and Hester sits slightly shivering on the floor)

 

HESTER:

You think this was a good idea? Or should we have gone with Mable to the forest?

 

AVA:

Honestly, I don’t know. If Henry and Irving can not find jobs, that leaves no reason for us to adapt.

 

HESTER:

Even if we were willing.

 

AVA:

I have no passion to acclimatize.

 

HESTER:

Nor do any of us.

 

AVA:

Then what are Henry and Irving doing? We should have left with Mable and James.

 

HESTER:

Do you not understand the concept of human nature? You’ve performed it countless times.

 

AVA:

Humans, social creatures, and whatnot. Can we not break that temperament?

 

HESTER:

I suppose one can try. But you must think this is where evolution has lead us.

 

AVA:

So prove evolution wrong. Why should we trust evolution? Possibly we evolved wrong?

 

HESTER:

There is no proof for that.

AVA:

There isn’t? How can you say that? (gets off the sofa and walks around profusely in a circle) Evolution has lead us to a totalitarian regime, do you find that correct?

 

HESTER:

No, but it will lead to something greater.

 

AVA:

What do you ever so mean?

 

HESTER:

Without going through the utmost worst, how can one possibly develop? There is no way.

 

AVA:

But to disrupt so heavily upon our lives is too much is it not?

 

HESTER:

Yes, it is. But at least when a new revolution arrives, we will have the fury to take over this establishment.

 

(The light quickly goes dark on Ava and Hester, the light immediately brightens on Henry and Irving in the office)

 

IRVING:

This is outrageous! Why should the politicians receive the good life and the poor, the woe?

 

INTERVIEWER:

This is the system, get with it or leave and be unemployed.

 

IRVING:

(gets up)

I wish that.

 

HENRY:

(getting up to hold Irving back, in a stage whisper)

Irving, you cannot jeopardize all of us. Mable and James left. Ava and Hester do not even want to continue to exist anymore, we are the only ones who can support ourselves until this administration falls.

 

INTERVIEWER:

What was that? (eyebrows furrow)

 

HENRY:

Nothing, sir.

 

 

IRVING:

I’m not dealing with this. I am not their guinea pig. I have hopes and dreams of my own. (begins to shout) I will not submit. I am my own person! I am my own person… you cannot tell me otherwise!

 

INTERVIEWER:

(picks up the corded phone on his desk)

Hello, yes can we get some officers here please?

 

HENRY:

(pulls Irving by his dandy collar so they are inches apart)

What are you doing? You are going to kill all of us! With talk of that, the system will surely target you. Think before you act.

 

IRVING:

I am. (runs out of the office to downstage center, the light reflects a railing, water sounds slowly get louder)

 

HENRY:

Irving, Irving, where are you!? (runs toward center downstage) Irving! What are you doing? (sees Irving at the edge of the railing)

 

IRVING:

Henry, I can’t. (tears roll down his cheeks) This life is not for me. I can not let someone else boss me around.

 

HENRY:

But this will all be over, you know that. Get through the rough patch. Adapt for a few years, you don’t expect the regime to last so long. We’ll be on stage again. Soon.

 

IRVING:

How long is soon? For me, it’s an eternity. (jumps off railing, in this case the stage)

 

HENRY:

NO! (as he yells, two officers come and hold him off the railing and take him into their car)

 

OFFICER 1:

Alright, calm down now. If you follow the rules, perhaps the government will take kindly to you.

 

OFFICER 2:

Just perhaps. (laughs)

 

CURTAIN

 

Act I, Scene III

(Ava and Hester both pace furiously in the apartment. They are biting their nails while doing so. Second portion of scene is in a hospital doorway, where the office used to be)

 

AVA:

When is Mable and James going to arrive? I sent them a specific letter four days ago.

 

HESTER:

It should have reached them by now.

 

AVA:

I hope they don’t get harmed in any possible way either. (Enter Mable and James. Mable goes up to Hester and hugs her tightly. James comes in carrying three suitcases.)

 

MABLE:

What happened? I go away for a week and everything is terrible!

 

JAMES:

Where’s Henry?

 

AVA:

In jail. After Irving’s uproar at the job office, they won’t let Henry go. Afraid he’s an anarchist too.

 

MABLE:

Does this mean an uprising?

 

HESTER:

If that consists of two people.

 

JAMES:

And Irving?

 

AVA:

(tears well up in eyes)

Well, he jumped off a bridge. What do you suspect will happen?

 

JAMES:

So, he’s dead.

 

HESTER:

Precisely. (voice cracks as Mable falls to her knees.)

 

MABLE:

(in sobs)

What happens now? Do we just continue with one third of our troupe?

 

 

JAMES:

We continue… (begins to take sharp breaths)

 

MABLE:

James, James, are you okay? (James wheezes, his eyes roll back, and he faints)

 

AVA:

What is happening to him?

 

HESTER:

Is he okay?

 

MABLE:

Obviously not. We have to rush him to a hospital immediately. He can’t breath!

 

(All four rush to stage left to the hospital entryway, with Mable and Hester trying to carry James)

 

NURSE:

Card.

 

MABLE:

What card?

 

NURSE:

For your insurance?

 

AVA:

What do you ever so mean?

 

NURSE:

If you have no card, I can not let you in.

 

HESTER:

He’s dying here.

 

NURSE:

And so are thousands of other patients with cards. Excuse yourself before I call the authorities.

 

AVA:

What kind of government is this that you will not help a person in need of aid?

 

NURSE:

One where you need a card, now excuse yourself, or I’ll get a guard.

 

 

MABLE:

Now look here, you ungrateful…

 

AVA:

Mable, stop. Otherwise you’ll be in jail like Henry.

 

MABLE:

I don’t care. This is too much. James is dying. (shrieks, James falls to the ground)

 

HESTER:

Mable, he’s dead.

 

MABLE:

It’s all my fault. It had to be something he ate in the forest. He left for hours and didn’t come back. I had no idea what he was doing. I was a terrible sister.

 

AVA:

Mable, calm it. Death is natural. It’s best he doesn’t see what else is to happen to society? (the railing appears again, Mable’s eyes light up. Ava sees what she’s looking at.) Mable, no. Don’t.

 

HESTER:

What? What’s going on?

 

AVA:

Mable don’t jump.

 

HESTER:

Mable, no! (Mable runs for the railing and jumps over and off the stage)

 

AVA:

No!

 

Act 1, Scene IV

(Ava and Hester in their apartment, smoking, sitting on the sofa)

 

HESTER:

What has happened to us in the past week?

 

AVA:

James was poisoned by a damn mushroom, Irving and Mable jump off a bridge, and Henry is surely going to commit suicide with any sharp piece of glass in jail.

 

HESTER:

What do we do now?

 

AVA:

I have no possible idea. I mean we cannot escape society, nor are we ever going to blend into it. This is simply a contradiction.

 

HESTER:

We speak of the revolution, shall we just wait for that?

 

AVA:

I don’t even know if there will be one anymore? This authority is corrupt. I have no idea how our art will thrive (tears in eyes). How will we ever get our troupe back. (head falls into hands).

 

HESTER:

Do you want to survive in this world?

 

AVA:

I don’t even know anymore.

 

HESTER:

Then, jump off the bridge to utopia on the other side.

 

AVA:

But I fear it.

 

HESTER:

I shall go with you. Honestly, what reason do we have for living anyway?

 

AVA:

Changing the world, possibly?

 

HESTER:

That will not keep me happy, and isn’t that what life is ultimately about? Keeping one happy.

 

AVA:

I suppose, but I’d feel rotten if I didn’t stick around for this revolution.

 

HESTER:

This so-called revolution that might take years.

 

AVA:

Well, then you want to jump?

 

HESTER:

I have no other choice.

 

AVA:

Let’s jump. (the railing appears and Ava and Hester jump over and off stage. Images of the revolution beginning the next day appear)

 

CURTAIN

© 2008 Elliot Bell


Author's Note

Elliot Bell
feedback appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on September 7, 2008

Author

Elliot Bell
Elliot Bell

New York City, NY



About
Name: Elliot Eugene Ernest Bell, half the duo of James and Elliot Productions. Primarily, my writing dwells on that of victorian satirical humour but also swims in the ocean of philosophy. It simply i.. more..

Writing
Age of Reason Age of Reason

A Stage Play by Elliot Bell