Miracles

Miracles

A Story by Emily B
"

things that grow wild

"

Each green blade of grass, each small flower growing haphazardly in my yard is a miracle. I say haphazardly because those flowers and blades of grass weren’t planted by my hands. To grow in my yard, you have to have a strong constitution. You’ve either been sown accidentally or you’ve been around much longer than I have.

     I appreciate the blessings of my yard. The Easter lilies are gone from the bank by the road long before their namesake holiday. The dozen tulips, red and yellow, that grow out by the cedar tree and come back year after year, tell me it’s Spring. I am always excited to see the lilac bush with the sweet smelling violet clusters of blossoms.

     I even appreciate the weeds. They have value, too. The wild onion gives off a pungent smell when we mow the yard. I look forward to that odor. There are Queen Anne’s lace and black eyed Susans, though to be fair, they are too comely to be called weeds. And honeysuckle, the kids discovered that one last year. They swarmed the vines like bees looking for honey as they picked the blooms to find that drop of sweet syrup. The dandelions and white bushy headed clovers that Anna brings into the house by the handsful help to decorate the window sills all summer long. The rabbits tend to like to eat those, too. Or braided they make lovely necklaces and bracelets and diadems.

     The white blooms of the blackberry bushes in June tell me it’s almost time to pick the plump, juicy berries. Again, I didn’t plant the bushes, they’ve grown wild. Conveniently, they’ve grown around the fence row, so that I don’t even have to get out into the tall weeds. I can wrestle the briars without the added seeming dangers of ticks and snakes. I brave the brambles and in return I get blackberry cobblers and blackberry dumplings and professions of love from old men who like me anyway, and sometimes, if I’m especially brave--blackberry jam.

     This year we had a mystery plant take over the front yard close up by the porch. The big leafy vine climbed up over the shrubs and I hoped it might be a gourd, but it turned out to be pumpkin instead. The boy can't hardly leave the pumpkins alone, every few days he brings another mostly green pumpkin into the house so that the bugs don't get it.

     Yup, you have to be hardy to grow at my house. No hot house plants or helpless children for me. Vegetables and children mostly tend to themselves. I find myself thankful on a regular basis for the small miracles that happen without my help. Blackberries and pumpkins and an occasional dinner that gets cooked without any assistance from me are the loveliest blessings..

© 2008 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have painted a canvas with this one. Suddenly I was transformed into spring and traveling out in the country smelling the fresh sweet air. "To grow in my yard, you have to have a strong constitution." I love this line.We have to applaud that which needs no tending. Can stand strong alone and burst with merit....In this you even pay homage to weeds for they have their own allure. What a wonderful palate here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow..
I feel as if I've walked your property. I also love that wild onion smell. This year I planted all the flowers and plants you talked about. I hope they sprout giving me the same beauty you wrote about. I loved your line ,that vegetables and children need little tending. It's such a Mark Twainish comparison. Your love of nature, and it's natural beauty is reflected in all your work. This piece is special. Rain..

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yep, sounds just like my garden. What a relief!!!
There is nothing more magical than a mystery plant appearing and then discovering what it is. I think I would be overjoyed to find a pumpkin growing in my garden!!! I live in southern England. The ground is all chalk, which the slugs love but there's not many nutrients left for stray pumpkin seeds to grow!! We do get an over abundance of convolvulus though.......
Beautiful write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a simple but utterly beautiful work emily.
the imagery you use is fantastic and fills the reader without a sence of utmost peace and serenity.
great work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

(AO smiling) :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your appreciation of the beauty of this earth, struts across this page with beautiful descriptions and color, with deliciously visioned treats that make my mouth water, as I lie amongst the weeds, looking for grasshoppers and crickets, you brought be back in time, to a place of my childhood. You did a fantastic job with this Emily. Thanks for sharing those thoughts.
Tony

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily, this flows very well, and accentuates the design, as well as
the lighthearted, subtle yet powerful thought put into every sentence,
capturing vivid colors, lively ambitions, you certainly take the
reader to the garden, the meaning has a humorous twist all its own.
beautifully written, and a pleasure to read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a beautuful expression about nature and all its glory. So many people don't notice the gifts we have been blessed with from the universe, and its so refreshing to know that all people don't take this beauty for granted. Your words touch me deeply as you describe your experiences in this writing. My yard and all creation give me great joy and peace as well. Beautiful! ~ jude xo :-).

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was so beautiful! I wish my yard had a mind of its own! Ha! I love honeysuckle and the smell of wild onion....especially with a twang of fresh cut grass mixed in.....the smells of late Summer. Cheers,lea

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are a gardener of words and the seeds you have planted have produced this beautiful harvest. Thank you for sharing your blessings. There is a symmetry and beauty to the green earth that oft goes unnoticed so when an earth born angel like yourself pays homage to the miracles of Mother Earth it satisfies the souls deepest of hungers.

Well done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this piece. Wonderfully written. Great job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1154 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on March 13, 2008

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..