Growth Charts

Growth Charts

A Story by Emily B

It occurred to me last night while I was picking blackberries, that I can age my daughter by her role in the blackberry picking. Some people have growth charts hanging on their wall. That'd just be too easy.

The summer Anna was two, she was fearless and ferocious in her quest for the purple fruits. Briars were no match for Miss Anna. She ate most of the berries she picked and about one third of the ones I put in the bucket. She giggled and bounced like Tigger during the blackberry adventure.

When Anna was three, she was more of a pointer. "There's one, mama." Older and wiser, she left the scratches and pricks to me. She understood well what became of anyone who got too close to the limbs of the blackberry bush. Mind you, she still managed to return to the house with a purple ring around her mouth.

This year Anna is four. She picks a few berries and then talks a lot. She eats a few berries and then she talks a lot. She points out a few berries and then she talks a lot. She is four now, and, oh so good at it. She only dumped the berries on the ground twice. And, yes, she came back in the house sporting a lovely blackberry juice mustache.

Eventually, she'll figure out like her brother and sister, that you can shirk the blackberry picking and get to eat cobbler anyway. I wonder what age five will bring?

 

 

© 2009 Emily B


Author's Note

Emily B
She is five now and still eats half as many as she picks. And still talks a lot.

Published in the August 2009 edition of The Other Herald (http://www.otherherald.com/)
How blessed am I that she still follows me to the fence rows to pick the blackberries?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's so sad to see no reviews for this, when I remember there being lots.

I love the simplistic description in this, and - overall - the concept of a child's behaviour being the more accurate growth chart. You depict Anna's trial-and-error learning really well, using a paragraph for each year, which was easy on the eye and mind.

This is an amusing and pleasant read. Thanks for [re] posting it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

...blackberries, I love to eat them. It was a sweet and sensible portrait how a mother would see her small daughter's behaviour changing, simply by her doings how to deal with pricks and scratches! This was quite a psychologically deep piece. I was taken to my own childhood, which was loving with sheeps and pets and meadows in the Slovak Carpathian Mountains. I like how you show us this simple beautiful way such an authenticity, so carefuly chosen, the salient characteristics of change abd step forwards, within your sweet daughtie Anna. I am grateful to read such an observation.
Hello Emily,
thanks a lot for your patience when reading my long piece 'Once upon a life time', it is greatly appreciated! Hope all is well you have not a too hot summer. At the moment, it is pleasant here, so I am smiling.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice. The blueberries are in up in Maine - Maine blueberries. The ones that are small and work perfectly for muffins. Amazing! The simplest things in life are some of the most enjoyable!

That makes me want children pretty badly, but I suppose that I will have to wait a few years for that!

Peace and luv,
Gabe


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aww, i love this!
daughters are wonderful things. :)
very charming and heartwarming.

~Rd

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that was lovely dear ,the way you talk about how a child changes every year ,behaviour changes as he matures ,its very nice ,you put a new growth chart ,i have studied this a lot ,but your chart is so easily to read and fun to follow

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kids sure learn quickly how to manipulate the system. One day they beg you to let them wash the dishes and then the next day they look at you like you're crazy if you ask them to put their dishes in the dishwasher.

Thanks for sharing this. Now I want some blackberries...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovely work. It is well written yet gently told. It has the aura of a different era about it. Fine job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

'That'd just be too easy.'
Great little piece, I just wonder if that third sentence flows a little better if raed:
That'd be just too easy.
But that's just me - nit picking pedant ha ha

simply told with good imagery - I'm left wanting more from this piece though - it's as though I feel a bit cheated that it ends so soon!



Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is just too cute. I love it and all the adventures of a little one. Wonderfully and delightfully penned. Great job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is so amazingly beautiful. Its full of love and visually evocative.It depicts the dwindling of innocence with gentleness.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

You put them to work young hu? :)
Have fun.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1071 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on August 10, 2009

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
For Emma For Emma

A Poem by Emily B


Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


forgiveness forgiveness

A Poem by Emily B