Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Learning

Learning

A Poem by Emily B
"

and I still have so many things to learn

"

 

Your words flow

out of their banks

like fresh rivulets

that have never

been downstream.

 

My mind grabs the big ideas,

turns them over

and washes them in the cool,

clear water

at the edge of the river.

 

Little toy boats play

in the quiet wave

before being swept away

knowing loss

but not a name for it.

  

I know more than

I think I do, sometimes

sitting quietly at the river,

letting my thoughts

collect gently into

coherent, cohesive ideas.


Softly flowing words

carry me beyond myself,

to the far reaches

of everything

I've never known.

 

I walk away with

a shiny pebble

washed smooth by time

 

found reflected back

in the clear pool.

 

© 2010 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an old fav of mine. It is a joy to read again. I love the idea of taking someone's else's ideas and washing them in the cool, clear water at the edge of your mind. There is such a slow, dreamy feeling to this. I could could just drift down stream on your words. Lovely.

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautiful symbolism here! I absolutely love how this is written! I love how the water is a pool for ideas. Simply brilliant.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sometimes with your work, it feels like there could be more to it. Not so with this one - it's complete and perfect. The fresh water analogy for original words/concepts is great, and you've done so much with it.
Are the "Little toy boats" ideas of your own, inspired by the "river", which don't manage to bloom into a solid poem/story?
This piece is both exciting and soothing; quite an achievement. The images are clear and vivid. It's such a pleasant read. Seriously, great work Emily.

"carry me beyond myself,
to the far reaches
of everything I've never known." - we're all living such different lives; there ae things we've imagined but not experienced for ourselves, and things we perhaps have never even thought about because they don't cross our paths...really well-expressed.

"I walk away having picked up
a shiny pebble
washed smooth by time
found reflected back
in the clear pool." - it's lovely to read, but I'm not 100% sure what this represents - the materials you extract for yourself from the words of others, to carve a creation from? The feelings/thoughts you gain and take away with you after reading something?

Overall, a simply excellent poem.
Thanks for [re-]posting it.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is absolutely beautiful! So enjoyable to read. It is so nice and dreamy. Thanks for sharing!

Elise

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I remember this piece and the child like happiness I felt when I read it before. It came crashing upon my once again. I love the way the lines themselves seem to flow like the water I imaged of a stream of life and wisdom a place where we are able to go to gather inspiration like buckets of water. A lively hood in a way. I really loved this and I am glad to see it again so it maybe placed among my favorites again.

Great Job!!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Painted walls of imagery and words to well append. Your write is a thoughtful glimpse of emotions some would get while reading and feeling so deep in course.

A great write Emily!!!

Love and Thoughts,

Dostani

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This is great!!
I feel like I just found a shiny pebble of wisdom. :)
Have fun.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I seem to be getting close to the end of my game of "20 Questions." I think that I will beat "20 Reviews."

That poem was stirring. I have to check on "20 Questions with Hints." It looks like not that many hints, but I might have to give more.

-Gabe

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Lovely poem! This poem genuinely is as smooth as a shiny pebble washed smooth by time. Very much enjoyed!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Carefree...nostalgic reflection and the metaphors are engaging

peaceful pensive days

Blesssssssssssssssssss

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This poem feels like a gently flowing river where lessons are learned in the summer sum. The repetition of "water" in the second and third stanza stuck out to me a bit, but on the whole the poem has a wonderful lilting, ultimately uplifting feel to it. What a wonderful poem to come to at the beginning of my day. Thank you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

846 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on September 25, 2010

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
For Emma For Emma

A Poem by Emily B


Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..