Borrowed

Borrowed

A Poem by Emily B

 

I borrowed some words once

found them floating on the wind.

They were breezy little words

full of fun and laughter.

I held them close.

We smiled and sang.

And letter by letter,

I spelled them out

for you to see.

 

No, the poem's not signed.

Foolish man--these words

were never mine

to begin with.

 

They were only borrowed

from the wind.

 

© 2008 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

gorgeous. i adore the ending - "the little man" and words being borrowed from the wind so you can't claim them as your own! fantastic idea. :)

"I held them close.

We smiled and sang."

adorable. the lilting laughing quality of those lines is adorable, and really catches the reader.



Posted 16 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
"borrowed words"... That truly is what we do, isn't it?
We borrow our words from the ages to capture thoughts or ideas or experiences. The same common words describe the same ancient thoughts, ideas, and experiences that have been shared among so many for so long.
I like the "not signed" idea. Our words will endure long after we have been forgotten.
Beautifully done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

This was good! It reminded me of poems by Emily Dickinson! I loved it. Short and simple but it said a lot.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
It makes me think of 'kamikaze' in the fruitful sense ('divine wind', its original meaning I think, before WWII bombers tarnished that thought), and how much I fully agree with it--that inspiration comes from somewhere, channelled, from up high maybe, from a heady mix of experience and inexplicable 'nothingness' all at once... it's fleeting, mercurial, a teasing taste of a chef's teaspoon, so to speak.

That's what I think.
J =)

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Ha, this is exactly what every writer usually tends to do! I never write about the actual experience of writing, but you mastered it so well I think I might need to start writing of writing. This is really inspiring. I love the way you included the wind. It's like, vocabulary is one huge windstorm with capabilities of powerful destruction. And writers have the capability of snatching one little leaf from it's gust and transforming it into a masterpiece. Or sometimes, you have those painfully hot days, and a light breeze comes and releaves you. Great personification.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

I simply don't know what to say. This is such a simple yet amazing piece. So honest and true yet presented with grace and compassion. The writer faces this dilema with frustration; consternation; regret; sadness; and such a rainbow of emotions. We stretch and twist and grasp for words only to find they've already been said; to find that starlight in our hands charred in the lines of our palms. I think of the likes of Twain and Suess who simply created new stars to grasp.
Though what ryhmes with inky side wrongkerds?

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Borrowed words, yes, too true...Very good write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

You are always good at describing something of the writing process itself.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.

What a beautiful charming little poem. So light and fresh. Glad that they blew your way for you to share with me.

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

This a wonderful piece. I love the heart and whispering sense that it leaves floating in my head with such wisdom and perfect timing. I am always so happy to read your words and the wonderful inspiration I find in them.


Always a Great Job!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

Lovely, I guess we all borrow words. I'm even doing it now. *wink*

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 5 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1641 Views
69 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 8 Libraries
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on May 16, 2008

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..