source

source

A Poem by Emily B

You wonder where my power comes from

and shine silver bullets to silence

siren songs that spring from somewhere.

You look for trap doors and hidden switches,

{dissecting me piece by piece}

to find the melodies you still swear you can't hear.

Your logic can't explain wingless flight

or answers like sweet pups that come when called.

And so I face the inquisition, dodging pitchforks and fire

for sins you are kind enough to imagine for me.

One day, if you look close, you may find

that my voice is all that ever wanders.

I am anchored fast to this good earth

but one day my wings will grow again.

© 2009 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A really fine poem packed with great imagery, with sirens and trap doors, then the wonderfully written line ...for sins you are kind enough to imagine for me, full of both humour and bitterness ( love it ). Emily writes really well, and as someone who has followed her work it is getting even better all the time. Great poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily B

11 Years Ago

ah, bitterness :) it is good i am a poet, otherwise there would be no relief



Reviews

I like this poem for it has a certain intrigue about it. Makes you delve deeper into the meaning of the words. Nice work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So many of your poems seem like pieces of conversations -- just enough to know there's something of significance happening behind the words. And that's what makes your poetry glow -- you make me look deeper into your words, through your words, to what lies beyond, just out of eyesight.

I'm drawn to the imagery of wings -- to your poetry. Hate the idea of "clipped wings."

Eric

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cf. "The Unknown" from Spoon River Anthology--"Daily I search the realms of Hades/For the soul of the hawk/That I may offer him the friendship/Of one whom life wounded and caged." I don't make a habit of tossing out Masters comparisons willy-nilly, but this clearly warrants it. Like Masters as his best, this uses the everyday to explore the sublime, with all the rewards and tribulations in store for those who endeavor to listen to those melodies that most of us can never hear.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very. very nice Emily. I think you have a certain melody all of us can hear hear when we listen closely.
Beautifully written, I love it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

715 Views
34 Reviews
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on July 16, 2009
Last Updated on August 10, 2009
Previous Versions

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B