In the Breeze

In the Breeze

A Poem by Emily Elizabeth
"

They took papa and tied cord around his neck

"

  

My daddy is not a fruit at all

And yet he hangs from the trees

Won’t respond to Mama’s crying call

And sways lightly in the summer breeze

 

He went away to the other land

Where there are no shadows or no dark

And it’s there that they tied his hands

Dragged him to the woodland park

 

They strung him up with thick cord rope

While everyone gathered round to gaze

Mama wept, blue eyes devoid of hope

The scene lit up  by burning blaze

 

A cloud sailed across the moon

My daddy’s eyes became all soft

And on that scorching night in mid- June

A burning cross was held aloft

 

The children ran in circles, sang

Hing Hang Hung,

Hung hing hang

See what the hangman done

 

They had skin the colour of untainted snow

Just like Mama; Papa was as dark as night

Mine was light brown, cappuccino,

Just light enough to be alright

 

The pale ghost men laughed and poured

Tall cool glasses of fine white wine

And while Mama whispered to the lord

I noticed how white the moon seemed to shine

 

No, my daddy is not a fruit at all

And yet so often the hangman comes and goes

He’ll make an orchard in time for fall

Fruit a-swinging as the winter wind blows. 

2strangeFruitHoliday - Billie Holiday -

© 2008 Emily Elizabeth


Author's Note

Emily Elizabeth
The 'Hing Hang Hung' is from Night Of The Hunter. Fantastic film, but unrelated. The song was in my mind and seemed to fit. This poem takes inspiration from Billy Holiday's 'Strange Fruit'. Such a sad, moving song coupled with such a beautiful voice....
I'm sorry this is kind of troubling and disturbing. It angers me so much. I'd rather hang myself than watch someone hang because of the colour of their skin. Or, for that matter, being gay (like that case of those two Iranian homosexuals being executed)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This gave me shivers. You did an amazing job writing this from a child's perspective--everything from the vocabulary you used to the rhyme scheme added to that effect--and I think that's what makes this poem so powerful. That, and the fact that somehow, in spite of the ugliness of the subject matter, your imagery made this poem disturbingly beautiful. You really did do a good job with this. I'm blown away.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is an idea most people don't think about in today's world. Your imagery was so brilliant and I loved how you put it in the daughter's point of view. It made it all the more heartbreaking.
Very lovely poem. ^^

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am just overwhelemed by the superior touch that this poem has. Talk about words, meaning, story-like craft, balance of consequences, or the overall impact, everywhere it is superb, just. I am just captivated by this poem.

It is simple and creative, and I think one of your best poems.

Good work Emily.

Thank you.

Raja

Posted 15 Years Ago


Its really amazing how you wrote this, the rhyme scheme is amazing, You even made it flow, the very first two lines "My daddy is not a fruit at all And yet he hangs from the trees"
So powerful. This is a really great writing.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very powerful writing. I enjoyed the imagery, and how it worked with taking something horrible and putting it through the filter of an innocent eye. Very talented work here, good job. Keep it up!

--Rylan

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. An injustice seen through the eyes of a child. Wonderfully done even though it is a topic of such woe and misery. Hatred is such a strange thing and twice as deadly as its strangeness. A brilliant write. Kudos to you.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great work Emily Wow!! I really enjoyed this piece. And I agree it makes me mad to when people would do such horrible things. GReat Write sweetie!! Orlando M

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hanging someone for no sin just because his skin color or he's a different ethnic is moronic and demonic.

It's not like his/her choice given to be black or something or being gay. Those things do come natural from birth. It's even moronic when people mock albinoes, born crippled or accidental crippled or the different.

Stupid human's mind.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This a perfect piece of work. Wonderfully woven angst, truth, expectations and all variations of emotional worlds...I think my favorite stanza was the last one .....but all were great - I mean it very very good writing :)


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so powerful, it gave me goose bumps!
Emily, you shift from genre to genre, style to style, theme to theme with absolute ease! This is the most interesting and impressive thing about you!
The poem realy rang a bell in my head; it's very reminiscent of the novel "To Kill a Mockingbird", though no-one gets hanged or whatever in the story, but the overall theme and possible setting of the poem really match that novel.
Above all I applaud your cause and support you in your battles against all the world's dark sides. Know that I am always there with you, fighting on your side :)

Love,

O

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BRAVA! well done!!! this is an outstanding write! the subject matter, the words you chose, imagery, timing.... one of the best i['ve read in a while on the cafe!

Faerie Blessings!

--faerie whisper (breaking the silence...)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

830 Views
24 Reviews
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on June 23, 2008
Last Updated on July 17, 2008

Author

Emily Elizabeth
Emily Elizabeth

United Kingdom



About
He drew a circle that shut me out -- Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. .. more..

Writing