Chapter One - NightLock - A Foxface Fancfiction

Chapter One - NightLock - A Foxface Fancfiction

A Story by EmmaHutcherson
"

I started this project a week or two ago - and i have been thinking about it for ages! When I first read the Hunger Games Foxface quickly because one of my favourites! Through a Foxes eyes.

"

CHAPTER ONE: The Power of Love

 

I turned on my side, my throat was dry and longing for a drink, but my body refused to move. I hadn’t slept last night, I couldn’t sleep though, and my mind was filled with a million thoughts. For the last two year it was the same ritual, the sleepless night, the thoughts nagging and biting at my brain.

 

Finally I had the will to move, and I threw the thin, old and tattered blanket to the side, not that it was helping against the cold. Which was ironic, considering I lived in District 5, know as the Power and Electricity district. You would think we would have decent heaters, I only wish we did.

 

As I sat up in my bed I could hear mother in the next room, father would have already gone to work. The days leading up to the reaping was especially busy for father, he was required at work to help keep the power running. Of course the Capitol made sure they did not miss out on anything, and always places a large TV in there for everyone to see.

 

It always made me slightly uncomfortable not having father close by, he was always very protective of me. I sniffed the cold air, my nose inhaling various herbs and spices. My stomach growled hungrily and I moved to the side of the bed, and made myself get out.

As I made my way into the kitchen the smell was much stronger, and a ray of sunlight was making its way through the slightly cracked window. I saw the back of my mother, working quickly over the cooktop.

 

She was tall and bony; she had light red hair that shone a beautiful ruby shade when the sun hit it. Her backbones stood out through her light blue plaid dress, it was the best dress she owned, yet it still had dark stains over it. I watched silently for a little while before walking up and looking over her shoulder.

I watched as an assortment of herbs and egg sizzled on the pan, and took a deep sniff, tipping my head back. The only good thing about this day was that mother would always to make sure I had a good meal.

“Smells amazing” I said softly, my voice low and scratchy due to my thirst. I felt her jump lightly before chuckling softly under her breath, she turned and looked at me, her light green eyes sparkling, “You scared me, you are so silent” She pressed her lips against my forehead.  “Your clothes are by the table, I also set up a tub up for you.” My mother cooed lightly, pointing over to the small bundle of clothing before she quickly turned to her cooking.

 

I noticed how when she took her voice quivered slightly, and I realize that I was lucky not to have any siblings, because I would have them worry about, and my mother would be a mess. So far the odds have been in my favor, since turning twelve I have had to endure two frightening years, and today was my third.

 

I stripped off my under-garments, which I slept in, and dipped a toe into the steaming water, burning lightly. But it was better than the cold, so I made an effort to submerge my body as soon as I got in. My skin complaining at the sudden heat, before adjusting and soothing and I took a deep sigh, but I didn’t have much time to relax. I picked up the brush and started to scrub at my body with some soap we used for such occasions.

 

I glanced over to a little mirror we had hanging across from me, I squinted at it, seeing a younger image of my mother. We both had height, and were bony, but that was partly because we didn’t have much money, I also inherited my mother’s beautiful long hair, pale skin, freckles, the only thing that I did not have that were an image of my mother were my eyes. They were a light powder blue, the same as my father. My father was also a tall man with brunette hair and tanned skin, which is surprising considering he works inside all the time.

 

As I wrapped the crisp towel around me I worked at my body, drying it part by part. I slipped on some under garments before taking the dress. I shivered lightly when I saw it, memories rushing back to me. This dress had been owned to last years female tribute, my mother had gotten it cheap last year as the girl’s mother had to sell her belongings to be able to supply food for her two other children.

My mother and I had felt guilty, but we were short of money and I was growing taller that I had outgrown most of my older clothing. It was a plain light blue, similar to my mother’s dress, but it had a white collar and tiny buttons in the shape of flowers down the front. I slipped it on quickly, trying to forget, but the girl kept haunting my mind. Her blonde hair, brown eyes and the most alluring smile you had seen, she was a hit with the sponsors at first, but she only made it to the third night, killed by a tribute from one, or also know as a career.

 

I had old black flats that were once my mothers, they had scuffs at the toes, and a hole in the bottom of the left foot. But they were the best shoes I owned, and I slipped them on. I ran a wide comb through my hair, it was very fine for it’s length, and was easy to work with. I left it damp, hanging down my back, before turning around.

 

On the little wooden table sat two plates that consisted of an egg each, and a bundle of herbs on the side. And what was that, the golden brown piece of bread looked to be good to be real. I shook my head in disbelief, my pale pink lips turning upwards. “How mother!” I exclaimed, sniffing the air that was filled with the aroma of it.

 

“I traded some herbs with the baker, he was in a kind mood this morning” Mother smiled softly, taking a seat before cutting into the egg and taking a bite. She looked up at me and pointed down to my meal as she munched on her egg.

 

The baker was another man that knew loss too well; he had lost his younger brother twenty or so years ago. He was usually a tough and stern man, but this day made him weak, it made most people weak.

 

I picked up my fork and poked at the egg, before taking a small bite and savoring it. I always tried to keep the food on the plates as long as I could, but I always ate it too fast, and regret it at the end. But this time I had the bread to look forward to. I looked at it Longley, “It’s for you Finch” My mother said, she spoke my name with such affection I couldn’t help but feel sad for a second.
“No!” I said sternly,  “This should last us a while” I argued crossing my arm, mother went to argue but stopped when her eyes looked at my defiant expression, her gaze softened and she gave in. I lowered my arms and then taking the knife took a small chunk out of the bread and placed it in my mouth. I wanted more, but I would take no more, this would be good to have around for later that is if I’m not chosen today. “Stop thinking that” I told myself under my breath, my mother not noticing it. I picked my plate up and took it to the sink and started to clean it as mother finished her meal, I eyed the great array of herbs that lay around the kitchen.

 

In our household we always have plants, my grand mother was a healer, and grew a wide variety of different plant species, when my grand mother had died my mother took over the family business. We didn’t get much work, but we got by selling our herbs. You would think with my father working we would be better off, but years ago when my dad was young his best friend had pulled for tribute. My father managed to contact a rich sponsor and convince him to sponsor his friend, and the he was a sure winner, he had secrets up his sleeve. And he was close, but he died in the final death battle. And the sponsor got made, and threatened to have my father’s family killed if he did not pay every cent back. And that is what he has been doing; even after over twenty five years there was more to pay back. But we lived with it, barely, but we do.


Mother has taught me all about plants, healing methods, what you can and can’t eat. To the best of her knowledge, but of course only so many books and information could cover a basic amount, there was much more out there that I didn’t know about. I looked out the window and saw people gathering on their front porches, I lived in the Seam, which is a place where the poorer residents live.

 

I always remember walking past the Victor houses, dreamily thinking about the heaters, the warm beds, even just the toilet. It didn’t seem right that people were starving and there were perfect un-occupied houses. But the Capitol isn’t fair about anything, I actually hated them for this, I mean what sick people would think of the Hunger Games.


This year my name would be in four times. Three times because it represents how many years I have been eligible, and one more time because I took one tesserae this year.

“It’s time” Mother cooed softly and sadly from her seat at the table, she walked up to me and embraced me in a hug, before putting her hands on my shoulder.
“You’ll be fine beautiful girl, I’ll be close don’t worry” Mother told me reassuring, and before I knew it I started to shake and I felt myself wrap my arms around my mother’s small waist, wet tears coating my eyelashes. And I felt my mother’s land on my cheek, before she kissed my cheek and looked at me in the eyes.
And I realized that without my mother and father, I would be nothing.
I couldn’t live.

© 2012 EmmaHutcherson


Author's Note

EmmaHutcherson
This is still in editing process and drafting - so ignore grammar and spelling.

Do you think it's okay so far?

And should it be named ' Nightlock' or 'Through a Foxes Eyes" or anything else you can think of?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

In my opinion, you're doing just fine with this story. As for the title--I think that will answer itself later. For now, any title will suffice. I did notice a few errors, but like you said, it's just draft, and you'll reread this composition a dozen times over. Good luck, and you definitely write with style.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EmmaHutcherson

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to read it. I do hope to get the main body of the story up and.. read more



Reviews

I love hunger games! And this is amazing! keep going! Can't wait to read moreee!! :):)

Posted 11 Years Ago


In my opinion, you're doing just fine with this story. As for the title--I think that will answer itself later. For now, any title will suffice. I did notice a few errors, but like you said, it's just draft, and you'll reread this composition a dozen times over. Good luck, and you definitely write with style.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EmmaHutcherson

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to read it. I do hope to get the main body of the story up and.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 8, 2012
Last Updated on September 8, 2012
Tags: hunger games the fanfiction foxf

Author

EmmaHutcherson
EmmaHutcherson

Australia



About
Hey There! My name is Emma! I am like in LOVE with Josh Hutcherson. I live in Australia - But would rather live in USA, England, Italy, Narnia, Panem or anywhere else. I love to read - and the Hun.. more..

Writing