5 minute freewrite

5 minute freewrite

A Poem by Emily Steen

Sadly I looked down the stairwell and saw that things would never be the same. I would never see her again, never know what was going on in her mind or my mind with her. We were so disjointed but never when we were together. It was unreal, a swell in the darkness of the many things I didn’t know. I found a chair and made my perch while I wondered where to go from here.

Where do people go when the end of their lives has come? Not when they die, not that, but the point in life when they have nothing left to accomplish or live for. I suppose that’s when people get new dreams. Or buy a red sportscar and find a young mistress.

Is that all this was? Was I just midlife crisising and things were not as bad as they seemed?

I didn’t believe things worked that way. After all, mountains are high but there’s always another side. There’s always somewhere else to go. But I didn’t see that. There wasn’t anywhere else to go for me. Without her, all my hopes had vanished and I was left, soggy and hollow.

She wasn’t a friend. Not a sister, a lover, or my mother or daughter.

© 2011 Emily Steen


Author's Note

Emily Steen
writing exercise that I'm considering using in a project

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

"She wasn’t a friend. Not a sister, a lover, or my mother or daughter."

She was a mystery, and now I'm curious.

You have a natural ease with your writing, and I like that. Sometimes it seems writers work so hard at sounding 'literary' and profound, that they lose their own natural style. Please stay real, because you are very good at it.

I was trying to edit this and deleted it. Oops. Anyway, after visiting your blog and reading your comment on this being a Freewrite... if you ever happen to drop by and glance at my book (how do you glance at a book?) you will soon come across a boardroom scene which introduces the main character directly. That boardroom scene was a free write. As in, completely unplanned, un-thought out. Anyway...
;)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 11, 2011
Last Updated on July 11, 2011

Author

Emily Steen
Emily Steen

Corinth, MS



About
I'm a married mom of three, and....I aspire to write. Or, I write and want to do it more. Anyway, I'm here and I'm probably like a lot of you. So hello. I blog. http://emylibef.com more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Poem by Emily Steen