Grassland Part 1 of 3

Grassland Part 1 of 3

A Story by EndlessHorizons
"

A lone archer travels home.

"
An open field spreads out in all directions, nothing but grass and a big blue sky. A tree stands far off in the distance. The young archer sees it and decides that it will make a fine resting place. He's been walking for four days now and it's been two days since he last saw another human being. He was okay with this especially after having been in close quarters with some of his fellow warriors. The survivors were sent home to spend time with their families, they were told to enjoy this time of peace because conflict was never to far away in this land. The young archer ran his fingers on his name tag which was located on the front of his jacket, to the left. The letters on it spelled out " Ken", he did this often usually when he noticed his hands while walking and he wanted to give them something to do instead of feeling awkward.
Ken starts to remember his home, a rather large house which was part of a fishing community just off the coast. It was a port town with sunny days and people who were nicer than the weather itself. He would think off it every single time he went into a battle, this had become a habit that was instilled in him by a close friend. His friend would tell him " If you can't stand the sight of blood or of the dead than think of what your fighting for, think of that perfect place." Ken looked up and noticed that the tree now only laid a couple of kilometers away.
After remembering his friend's words he thought of the rest of his fellow squad mates. Among them were Lavi, Jet, Iscaru and of course his friend Tao. Tao was more or less the clown of the team, although none of his jokes were funny but his fun demeanor is what kept most of them sane throughout the whole war. It really wasn't a full blown out war since it only lasted for a couple of weeks but the death toll was staggering to say the least. The young archer remembered the time his fellow squad mate Lavi was cornered by three soldiers. He then remembers the look on Lavi's face as he stood over the dead enemy soldiers, covered in their blood. That look haunted Ken more than the dead bodies themselves. After that Lavi killed without hesitation and all he would simply say was " whats the point in trying to keep his hands clean anymore, when his soul was already tainted."
Ken reached the tree and sat under it's beautiful shade while drinking from a water satchel, which was tied to his hip. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath in and then released it as a way to clear his mind. He looked to his left and there just but a mile away was a bustling village. Not his home but the sight of other humans was good enough for now...

© 2015 EndlessHorizons


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on May 30, 2015
Last Updated on May 30, 2015
Tags: life, series, short story, adventure