A Rainy Day

A Rainy Day

A Story by Erin Austen
"

She knew that it was too good to last.

"
Looking out the window, she sighed with disappointment. Though it made a sweet sort-of tinkling sound on the roof above her, the rain made the girl feel sad. She hated rainy days because they were the type of days that made you want to curl up in bed and sleep next to someone warm. She didn't want to feel like this, at least not today. It was too soon for her to remember. Too soon for her to think of his face and his laughter filling up the room like it was his only purpose in life. He was the kind of person that made you smile the minute he stepped into a room, but now the thought of him made her scowl in disgust. They had been best friends since they were little, and now, she couldn't even stand a single thought of him. Every time he popped into her head, she shuddered with regret. Entranced by a boy she was supposed to hate, the girl only came to reality when she heard someone say her name, "Elizabeth." 
She looked up and saw him. Not just any other boy; it was him. "I didn't know that you worked here. When did you start?"
At first Elizabeth couldn't even remember how to speak. Seconds went by as she stared in disbelief. "Oh, um… Last week. I just started here this summer," she hastily replied while feeling like the world's biggest idiot. 
"That's pretty cool. I still work at the same place as last year--I guess I don't really change much," he said as he laughed with that big, room-filling laugh. God, how she missed that laugh.
"I'm sure you've changed more than you think, Timothy."
She could tell that Timothy was lost for words when he heard that, but she didn't care. His betrayal had hurt her more than he would ever know. 
Trying to recover from her venom filled words, he replied, "Sometimes, I regret it."
"Regret what," she asked, but she knew exactly what it was.
"Last summer. I didn't know what I was thinking."
"We used to be best friends," Elizabeth said looking at him and trying as hard as she could not to show him just how much it still pained her to think about. 
"I thought we still would be," and she could tell that Timothy fully believed what he was saying.
"Well, you thought wrong."
"I'm sorry. Do you think we could ever go back to how we were?"
Elizabeth looked at Timothy. She looked at him seriously for the first time in almost nine months. Slowly, she looked down at her hands and replied, "Look Timmy," she hadn't called him that in a long time, "can we talk about this later? I'm at work, and I really can't get into it right now."
Leaning in close to her, he said,"Call me after work, and I'll meet you wherever you want."
Elizabeth jerked her head up shocked at his words. Had she heard him correctly? Since when did he care?
"It might be really late," she said firmly.
"Fine with me. I'll see you later Liz," Timothy said softly, and he slowly walked away.
Glancing around at the restaurant nervously, Elizabeth let out a sigh of relief after seeing that none of her coworkers had been around to hear her conversation with Timothy. She didn't know if she would really call him, but she had actually seen him and even talked to him. Things would never be the same, she knew that, but maybe they could at least try. Suddenly, Elizabeth heard a strange sound. A monotone beeping that droned on as the restaurant around her melted away, and Elizabeth sat up on her bed. 
It was all a dream. She knew that it was too good to be true. Timothy would never admit that he was wrong, and he would never talk to her like that. Elizabeth looked out the window and sighed; it was a rainy day. 

© 2014 Erin Austen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really well done and the twist at the end, having the interaction between them was wonderful. The only thing that I noticed was to watch your pov...the girl feel sad...should be made her feel sad...& the girl only came to reality ...you go from being inside her head and saying she, so the reader is seeing it from her view and then you will refer to her from the outside saying the girl...the point of view should stay the same in this first chapter.
Besides that I really enjoyed it!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Is there more? There needs to be more! :-D

Perhaps a bit more character detail, Timothy's looks, build, how he carries himself? I am sure this would all come in with further advancements in the story but a bit more detail at this stage would help with character attachment, I think.


Posted 9 Years Ago


Erin Austen

9 Years Ago

Thanks! I've been trying to decide if I should continue the story more… Maybe I'll give it a go!
Interesting start and make me kept going till the end...you're good writer all the best!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Erin Austen

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
A. Amos

9 Years Ago

You're most welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 14, 2014
Last Updated on June 14, 2014
Tags: love, hate, relationships, summer, betrayal, short story

Author

Erin Austen
Erin Austen

About
I'm just a person with a lot of different thoughts that need an outlet. more..

Writing