Whispers from the sea

Whispers from the sea

A Story by Midnight wonderings

                                                         Chapter one


Once upon a time, near a small village by the sea slept a child no more then a year. 

Bundled in a quilt made of silk the deep blue of the ocean, the pattern of waves embroidered with thread that glittered silver in the light of the moon.

 The child lay in a boat that had been pushed onto the shore.

 It was no bigger than a cradle and carved into the little boats sides knelt two mermaids, facing each other, their hands reaching up to a full moon that hovered above them, their heads tilted back, lips parted as if to sing. 

On the shore a mere forty steps away stood a lighthouse and in that lighthouse at the very top stood its keeper. 

A woman, her blond hair plaited in a long braid down her back, her eyes swollen from tears. 

The woman turned her head just as the warm yellow light from the building on which she stood passed over the little boat. Curiosity washed over her and so she turned grabbing a lantern by her feet and descended the spiral staircase. 

Heart pounding she held the lantern high, the sand was cool on her bare feet as she made her way to the curious little boat. 

And upon reaching it, she knelt gasping at the sight of the perfect sleeping child inside.

Tears swelled in her eyes once more but instead of from the bone aching sadness that had dwelled in her for months the tears instead came from gratitude, gratitude to the sea for granting her with a gift she thought she would never be given and an overwhelming happiness that finally, finally she would be a mother, she would have a child to care for and to call her own.

For by looking at the boats side and the deep blue quilt, she knew from where the child had come and so she knew that the babe must never return. 

So it came to pass that the woman named Keeva, raised the little girl she named Eris Alannah in the little cottage by the sea. 

Keeva loved the little girl with all her heart even with the flexible crystal clear webbing between the little girls fingers and toes. 

Even when a restless unhappiness formed in Eris's heart.

And even still when she ran away to a far off place only to return years later with a young child in her arms and a sickness in her lungs.

© 2015 Midnight wonderings


Author's Note

Midnight wonderings
This is the first chaprter to a book I'm writing so PLEASE let me know what you think! Also please ignore any grammatical errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ana
Whoa, is the baby a mermaid? Wow, just after I wrote that I read the word mermaids! What's the sickness i her lungs if you don't mind my asking? Love how you ended it, leaves me wondering, like whaaaaaaaaat the kid had a kid?!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Midnight wonderings

8 Years Ago

Haha yes I''ve always love fantasy but I love science fiction too, so I decided to combine them and .. read more
Very emotive and well-written. I love how you weave the story with simple, direct narration. Would like to read more.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Midnight wonderings

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
David Jae

8 Years Ago

You're welcome
That's awesome, you're gonna add more to it right? 😀

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Midnight wonderings

8 Years Ago

Yay I'm glad you like it! Yes I am.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 1, 2015
Last Updated on September 2, 2015

Author

Midnight wonderings
Midnight wonderings

About
I've always loved words whether written or spoken, the meaning behind a single word can mean absolutely everything, words can build us up or tear us apart they can make us feel any emotion imaginable .. more..

Writing