Talya Sheppard and the Rescue Mission

Talya Sheppard and the Rescue Mission

A Story by Xander Lewis
"

Talya Sheppard and her sister Scarlett take to the skies as they track down their enemy, General Xynonne

"
Talya and her sister Scarlett were new to dragon riding and both held on for dear life to the massive, intimidating beast as it soared fast though the mist.
"This weather's not getting any better", Scarlet yelled, Talya barely hearing her. "I hope a storm doesn't break out".
The dragon lowered its flight, just enough for the two riders to see the ocean water roaring underneath them.
"Do you think we'll catch him this time?", she continued.
"The general is up ahead, I can just feel it", Talya replied. "Just be ready for it".
Talya looked intensely, seeing nothing but white ahead of her. Suddenly a ship was approaching fast, the dragon making a last second adjustment to it's flight path and narrowly missing the sail with it wing.
"We'll make a turn", yelled Talya, "And then we'll attack. That b*****d will pay for this eye"

***

General Xynonne stared coldly out to sea, his reptilian eyes refusing a single blink, his body as still as rock. One of his scaly, cold-blooded recruits approached him.
"Ah, sir? We have a problem with one of the human slaves. He got free and attacked one of our men!", he said quickly, trying to hide his nervousness in front of his superior. The general remained motionless, still staring out to sea until eventually his head began to turn slowly to face the young, panicked sailor, meeting his eyes.
"There is no problem", replied the general in a cold, direct way, before he returned his gaze to the sea.
"But, sir..."
The general quickly spun around and gripped the vile creature by its throat, squeezing tightly as he lifted him seamlessly into the air. 
"Maybe I'll throw the slave overboard and have you take it's place. Make's no difference to me"
"Please... Don't", spluttered the sailor, coughing as he struggled to talk.
The general gripped tighter, bringing the sailor closer to him... and then stopped as he heard a loud thud right next to him.

***

"Ready for round two general?", Talya shouted with as much confidence as she could muster, unsheathing a sword from her side. 
It took the general a moment to realize who she was. All humans looked alike to him. He noticed the scar on her face and as he remembered the duel they had he released the grip on his victim, allowing him to run away in a panic.
"You're lucky I didn't kill you last time", he scorned, showing some teeth.
"Lucky you didn't have the skill to", she quickly retorted.
The anger enticed him to leap at her, drawing his blade as he did. The two blades crashed again and again as the two fighters viciously dueled it out, neither of them willing to relent.

***

Scarlett was terrified. Talya had control of the dragon up until now, but it was her time to fly. The mist was the worst of it and could well be the reason that she'd mess up the plan. She couldn't even see the ship most of the time, let alone the prisoners, and the dragon wasn't the easiest to handle.
"You can help me out just this once can't you boy?", she asked, knowing the dragon wouldn't understand.
She made a turn in the mist, the icy cold air blowing into her face.
"Come on, where are you?", she said desperately looking for the ship.
Finally, she saw the faint shadow and lined herself up with it lessening her hold on the reins to lower the dragon. It came up fast and she'd have to be quick. Scarlett quickly jerked the reins hoping she had timed it right and they were where she wanted to be. The dragon quickly halted, bending backwards and flapping it's wings to sustain it's hover. It then gripped something large with it's talons before ascending back up into the misty sky.
"The cage!", Scarlett yelled, "You got the captives!"
Scarlett couldn't feel prouder than she did in that moment.

***

The battle raged on between Talya and the general with no clear indication of who was the greater swords person. The general was clearly stronger, but Talya made up for that with speed. They continued to swipe at each other, steel clanging again and again. The general continued his offence striking her blade in quick succession and after several hits, the blade shot out of her hand, leaving Talya defenseless. The general started a slow walk towards her, seeing the defeat in her eyes.
"I guess you didn't have it in you after all", said the general, "and now I shall take your life, just like I took the lives of all those in your village"
"I swore to get revenge" Talya said in a disgusted tone, backing herself to the ships edge.
"Too bad then..." replied the general, "that your last moment will be death by my hand"
"It won't be by your hand" Talya snarled, just as she leapt off the edge of the ship.
The general let out a breath of disappointment, sheathing his sword as he approached the ships edge. As he did, he heard wings flapping and a moment later, Talya reappeared with a huge smirk on her face.
"I never said I fight fair!" Talya yelled as the dragon raised back it's head, flames igniting it's nostrils. "I'm not going to miss you"
The dragon opened it's mouth and within a second, the ship was engulfed in flames. Without hesitation the dragon ascended once more and flew off into the mist, gripping the cage of cheering prisoners.

© 2015 Xander Lewis


Author's Note

Xander Lewis
I'm open to criticisms as this is my first story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm not much of a fantasy reader but I enjoyed this. The battle between Talya and the general I think could be more climactic though. Maybe some injuries or slashes before loosing her sword.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Xander Lewis

8 Years Ago

You're right, I think that could add a lot to the story. Thanks!
Very descriptive. I can see the pictures in my mind. I read dragon stories by Anne McCaffrey when I was a teenager. I hope you are able to illustrate this story and add others about the same theme.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Xander Lewis

8 Years Ago

I'll see if I can sketch some interesting imagery to go with it and I'll definitely check out some o.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 3, 2015
Last Updated on November 3, 2015
Tags: talya, sheppard, scarlett, fantasy, medieval, dragon, general, ship, mist, sisters, scar

Author

Xander Lewis
Xander Lewis

United Kingdom



About
I am an illustrator that enjoys fantasy and fiction. My interest in writing stems from my want to create a graphic novel someday with hopefully a strong and gripping plot. more..