Time

Time

A Poem by Faith

She sat patiently, waiting as usual for him to reach for the woman's hand.
The agony of it all was painstaking and utterly slow.
Inch by inch and word by mesmerizing word he made his way into her mind and toward her precious space.
She has watched this so many times there seems to be no end to the madness of this routine.
How long can this go on...how many more moments like this will ensue before it ends.
And then suddenly, as if he can no longer wait on her, as if all the fibers that make him whole are going to unwind, he touches her.
She looks at him, with loving eyes, the ones that remember every word of the last time they spoke to each other so many years before.
She was here, back in his warm embrace, and out of that empty space her aging mind has dwelt in since he was here, yesterday.

© 2016 Faith


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Both beautiful and tragically sad and poignant. You have done a great job here in describing what dementia feels like and how it affects all those around the sufferer too. My mum has had dementia for eight years, but is only in the past year or two more aware of it, and this is exactly how she explains visits and the time that passes in between. Sometimes she can remember what I forgot to get her at the shops and some times it's the 1940's and she is being packed off to Ireland because of the blitz. A heart breaking condition, painted perfectly with your words. Superb job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Faith

8 Years Ago

Ah, I am sorry to hear that for you both. Yes it is such a hard thing to process for everyone involv.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 25, 2016
Last Updated on February 25, 2016

Author

Faith
Faith

About
The value in life is in sharing it with others...sometimes that just means writing it down. more..

Writing
Hope Hope

A Poem by Faith


Go Now Go Now

A Poem by Faith


tick tock tick tock

A Poem by Faith