A moment.

A moment.

A Story by E.W. Wong
"

A chance meeting on a street in New York. What could have been.

"

Quick, thick droplets of snow splattered irregularly around the base of a lamppost, propping up a delicate body. The delicate exterior was wrapped amateurishly with thick layers covering her elegant features, her hair just noticeable flicked consecutively to the left with a careful, placed swish. Slowly she tapped her hidden fingers against her rigid leg to the compelling music that streamed through her mind. Blinking sparsely her head turned down the towering street, eying up the encroaching cars for a sign of her lift. Her cheeks swelled with a plush red, generated by the flippant cold. Wisps of the thinly distributed snow lifted faintly off the ground and whirled past her frozen face without a glance.

People bustled past her in rolling waves of extravagant desires and destinations. The glittering lights of the many infatuated apartments and rooms stood above her in a silent, glittering conglomeration of life. Thousands of people joined together in social harmony to enjoy drink and conversation. While their families spoke proudly in the radiate enjoyment of their vast wealth and typical expectations. The city was alight with the typically sparkling night. Colours roamed in careless vapours, flickering joyously as they entered into the very nature of any proclaimed ‘newcomers’ enticing them into a web of enjoyment and a beaming cascade of pleasure. Electric voices clipped the necks of every individual. New York blossomed like a flower for each of its visitors creating a tornado of riotous partying, accompanied by the thick, continuous flow of the intrigued. Precise movements tortured each tendon of the body which demanded florescent jerks of happy arousal to create satisfaction beyond the norm.

Maggie’s acute golden hair gleamed with a modest deception; she looked around with intrigue, enchanted with her own fascination at the exotic disproportions of life. The snow continued to fall in irritating volumes, landing with awesome precision to cause the upmost annoyance. An effortless wave of people resolved to push against her all at once in a complete synchronised pendulum, she landed gracelessly in the snow. From her slumped position she noticed a towering figure stood over her and laughing casually. Immediately she was hit with the full force of his defined jaw and whipped back, black hair. He offered his hand, which she took clumsily. In his hands hers felt insignificant. She smiled timidly, moving her hair back into place, it was in that moment she noticed his eyes. She would recite later that the cliché thing to say about blue eyes is that they are ‘deep’ but they weren’t deep they were just full, it felt like in those eyes you could look at them and each time you would discover something new, a new layer of colour, a new layer of thought or a new layer of reflection. Later on she would notice little specks of ashen amongst the complete blue, almost tainting the incredible expansion of his eyes. They were eyes that reflected how you were feeling; you could see in those eyes an understanding and empathy. She blushed under the force of her own scrutinizing stare, he raised one eyebrow slightly, rounded his lips into a full smile, winked and meandered off. She stared after him in awe, regretting her inability to form words. 

© 2014 E.W. Wong


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

To me this flowed very nicely, almost as if it were a poem, with all the descriptions and non dialogue. Well done with the vivid imagery it brought to mind!

Posted 9 Years Ago


very descriptive.... Nice vocabularies :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is very lovely and descriptive.
Yes, certainly, "what could have been..."
lissalovesyou:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


a beautiful descriptive piece. colourful and touching. very nice, indeed.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So descriptive so beautifully written, lovely! It makes me wonder about all the types of people I could have met if I had not been afraid to speak.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved the good descriptive tones you have packed into such a short story, even though there was no dialogue it came across as strong. Well done.
Will

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very well written. It's a pity she didn't talk to him. I want to go to New York, too.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 28, 2014
Last Updated on April 28, 2014

Author

E.W. Wong
E.W. Wong

Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, United Kingdom



Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..