The Wind.

The Wind.

A Story by ExplodingCrayon
"

This is my first story in a year almost. Wrote it around a few days after my break up. You can probably figure that out from reading the story.

"
The wind was cool, in the heat of the midday sun, it was a welcoming feeling. 
A gentle caress through the hair, a soft kiss on the cheeks. He laid his helmet down and threw down his sword. 
He was tired. Tired from all the fighting and the defending. 
The wind was a welcoming feeling. 
The battlefield lay before him, strewn with bodies, young and old. It was too much. too much for one lifetime. 
He closed his eyes, and thought of her. 
Her soft, kind, loving words. Her echoing laugh. Her beautiful, brown eyes. The feel of her skin against his, her lips against his. He let out a slow breath. If he survived this, he would never pick up the sword again, a decision he made before coming to battle. 
He felt the wind carry his body away. He felt light, less troubled. How he wished he could see her for one last time. 
Once more gaze at her, and fall in love all over again. how he wished...

The battle was lost. 
He knew it. He wouldn't be able to see her again. 
Never again. 
A sharp whistling bought him back to reality. 
It wasn't loud, it was barely audible. But over the deathly silence of the battlefield, it was audible, faint, but audible.
He smiled and sank to his knees. 
Yes, he was tired. Very tired. 
The whistling grew sharper as he took off his armour. He looked up at the sun one last time. 
He thought of her. He thought of how much he loved her. How much he missed his home. He looked at the Sun and thanked Apollo, for all he had provided the mortals with. 
A black spot appeared before the sun. He closed his eyes and the arrow whizzed right into his chest. He fell back with the force of the impact, blood spilling on his already bloodstained sword and helmet. A tiny gasp escaped his lips as he joined the rest of his troops on the field. Blood rushed through his mouth as he smiled gently. It was over. He had lost. 
And the last memory, the last picture, he would ever have was the gentle smile of her's.   

© 2014 ExplodingCrayon


Author's Note

ExplodingCrayon
Yes, yes, it's short.
And depressing.
But feel free to leave your comments. All kinds of feedbacks would be appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on June 25, 2014
Last Updated on June 25, 2014
Tags: short story, melancholy

Author

ExplodingCrayon
ExplodingCrayon

Kolkata, India



About
About me. This part I've always sucked at. It's been a while since I have managed to write anything. I'm a student, pursuing law. I love music, and I also play the guitar at times. That's all I.. more..

Writing