If I have a Daughter

If I have a Daughter

A Poem by Foster L
"

This is part of a Spoken word I had to present to my English class...

"

If I have a daughter I want her definition of beauty not to be the pictures she sees in the tabloids or the popular girls at school.

I don’t even want it to be her reflexion in the bathroom mirror. She needs to know that beauty is a synonym of kindness, the corner between strength and forgiveness.

Beauty is a way of life.


If I ever have a daughter I want her to be a child. To be carefree, to play and be creative. Not to feel scared,anxious or to worry.

Worry.

The very sound of the word carries weight. Heavy like the grudge she holds on the students, teachers and strangers who put her down. The weight of holding the bones from the past versions of herself she had to kill, because they just weren’t good enough.

No

If I have a daughter and I tuck her in at night I’m going to tell her stories.

But I’m also going to tell her the truth.

Because every child deserves to know from the get go what they’re getting into. They’re getting into a life full of pain and unfairness, of suffering and sacrifice. The world she lives in is cruel and unforgiving.

But happiness is a choice.  

© 2016 Foster L


Author's Note

Foster L
Of course it sounds better spoken that it does on paper, but none the less thoughts and comments are appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful, simple and true and beautiful. :)

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Added on April 2, 2016
Last Updated on April 2, 2016
Tags: spoken word, poetry, mother, daughter

Author

Foster L
Foster L

Alberta, Canada



About
I'm a 16 year old girl who loves writing for pleasure. I've never done anything with my writing but love any constructive criticism, comments, ideas or anything else you'd like to share with me! :) more..

Writing
His Tattoo His Tattoo

A Poem by Foster L