The Fantastic Adventures of James Grey [Part 2]

The Fantastic Adventures of James Grey [Part 2]

A Story by J. Grimm
"

From this point on I will be posting these with a smaller word count to make them easier to read. Somehow I feel 600 words is easier than 4200. For the time being. Updates at http://myholouniverse.co

"

Smoke poured from the engine of Chris’ old pickup, as the young man stood on the side of the road cursing his rotten luck. While trying to make his way to pick up his shift, smoke started seeping from under the hood, and he lost all power. The sun had fully set, and here he was standing on the side of the road. He only had one choice.


Pulling his phone from his pocket, Chris dialed the number to the library. It rang several times before John finally picked up.


“Indiana state library,” John said with his best caring, helpful voice, which always made Chris laugh, as John was always awkward with talking on the phone.


“Hey John, it’s Chris.” Chris was unsure how to break the news to his counterpart. “I kind of need a favor.”


John knew that wasn’t a good sign. “Sure, what’s up?” he asked, already suspecting the bad news ahead.


“My truck broke down, I need to get it towed, and I’ll catch a ride out there. Can you cover me for a few hours?” Chris asked awkwardly, silently hoping that he would agree.


“Sure, I was a bit late today, I’ll close up shop. Just give me a call when you get here.” John responded, knowing a few extra hours wouldn’t be too much of a problem.


“Thanks, John! I owe you one.” Chris said, sighing relief at his coworker's response.


“No problem, good luck with the truck.” John hung up the phone and looked around the library, wondering if there were any people still wondering the aisles or working at one of the upstairs desks. He opened the desk drawer and grabbed the keys, figuring the best thing to do was to make his rounds and lock the doors and let people know that the library would be closing.

Unbeknownst to John, there were no people left in the library, but there was something; silently waiting. Something that entered the library long before the last person had left for the night.


That same creature now stood at the center of the library smelling the air, clad in tattered gray robes, it stood searching the smells. It wasn’t the smell of aged paper it was looking for, it was the hint of copper whispering in the air, the scent of blood. Opening it’s black pearl eyes, it looked over to the librarian's desk, where John had been only moments earlier. It’s long slender limbs began to sway, and in the blink of an eye, it had covered the fifty-foot distance, leaving a wake of black mist.


The desk was empty, the wraith growled in aggravation.


As it hovered around the oval desk, the lights in the library went out. John had finished his rounds and had cut the main lights, the wraith displayed rows of jagged teeth in excitement as the shadows made the hunt that much easier. The scent of copper was getting stronger, John was coming back. The wraith backed into the shadows, waiting for John to return to the desk.


As John took his seat, the hairs on the back of his neck stood on end as he noticed the black mist still falling to the ground around him, a mist that he recognized instantly.


He felt it move behind him. Before he could turn to face the wraith he was already airborne, being hit so hard his body knocked down two rows of shelves, the books softening the blow.


“Foooooound you” the wraith sang, showing its jagged teeth in a sinister grin.

© 2017 J. Grimm


Author's Note

J. Grimm
All Constructive input is much appreciated :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You described the wraith's movement well, making the encounter all the more chilling. Too bad you haven't posted the third part yet.

Posted 7 Years Ago


NUuuuuuuuuuu!!!! Please write more... you've got me hooked and I loved it. I don't think there is any constructive input for the part, but I'll keeping reading!!!!

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 12, 2017
Last Updated on January 12, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, Fiction, YoungAdult

Author

J. Grimm
J. Grimm

Los Angeles, CA



About
My name is Jim, and I am a starving writer. My days consist of long fruitless hours, staring at a computer screen and typing my life away. I've never been much of a blogger, in fact, I've gone out.. more..

Writing