A look into the formation of fandoms.

A look into the formation of fandoms.

A Story by Ryen James
"

An essay discussing fandoms.

"
The concepts of fandoms is a fascinating concept that has appeared fairly recently in our culture a result of some paradigm shift. To the best of my knowledge the earliest definable fanbase would began in the early 1960s with the advent of Star Trek and Doctor Who. Which started as a large fan base examining these early fandoms or proto fandoms we can overview what differentiate it from other media, first they where TV shows (and in reviewing other pro fandoms such as the Marvel and DC comics) or comic series are both a serial format even today almost all fandoms center-around serial formats. Ideally a fandom could form over any production of media  but it is most common for fandoms to expand from a large amount of canon, second the shows had a definite world, that is there is a canon universe. These universes have complex and powerful interactions between entities and a definitive world view that separates it from reality. The third difference is that the canon universe is complex. For instance if viewing the TV series Star Trek or the Movie Series Star Wars has complex and interactive movements between forces, for Instance the empire and the resistance or the Klingons and human races based on one interaction alone provides a slew of information and world view. Therefore by viewing the differences between proto fandoms and same era counterparts are defined by three conditions.
1. A large Canon
2. A Distinctive Universe
3. A Complex Mythology
The are by no means requirements, ideally any work could become a fandom but these conditions are useful in this effect. A large canon allows exposure to the story and proceeds to develop the universe. A distinctive universe provides interest and separates it from similarly themes plot and a Complex Mythology helps provide contrast in Characters worldview and helps create discussion and speculation about the world which is an important facet of fandoms. Based off the conditions some genres are more suited to produce fandoms such as the genres of Science Fiction, (Doctor Who, Star Trek), Fantasy (Harry Potter, Star Wars), or Paranormal Fiction (Gravity Falls, Supernatural), but are not the only genres that can produce fandoms, for instance DC and Marvel Comics have produced many fine fandoms (though not commonly recognized), Others such as Pokemon or My Little Pony Fandoms have very little similarities between the aforementioned genres yet represent some of the Strongest recognizable fandoms. 
Characteristics of a Fandom. 
In the Previous Section we discussed the formation of a fandom but what differentiates a fanDOM from a fanBASE? Is there a difference? It is in my belief that there is a difference, for example while a person might enjoy a movie or book it can easily never grow into a community of fans, ( I.E a "Fandom"), I remember fondly the Inkheart Book Series and Movie and yet I haven't discussed the books in years. Another limiting factor is falling to meet the three conditions that is why a Band or person could never create a true fandom. It would be difficult to debate that a person has Complex Mythology or that a bands various songs have a distinctive universe. While a themed album might exhibit the three conditions it is unlikely to gain enough attention to become a fandom. Now I would like to state something. By my thesis a fandom can d consist of only two people, however it is almost impossible for such a state to persist to understand the paradox we first must understand the formation of a viable fandom. First to form a fandom we must of course provide a populist which succeeds the three conditions, but even this is not enough to create a fandom. A fandom engages in 5 repetitive stages which is as follows. 
1.Observation
2. Discussion
3. Fan Creation
4. Theoretical Discussion
5. Secondary Fan Consumption.
1. Observation
This phrase begins with the beginning of the medium for sake of convenience titled "The show". The populice will consume it, decide individually whether they enjoyed it and whether or not they enjoyed it enough to continue watching. Some viewers may be attracted or repulsed by the premise, some may enjoy the pilot but lost interest in the show altogether. This is why it is essential for conditions 2 & 3 to be met for without them it would be almost impossible to create a enough interest or worldbuilding to provide encouragement into the next stages. It should be noted that this phrase doesn't end but is it renewed every time the show produces more content.
2. Discussion
Once a large enough fanbase has been created the phrase of discussion takes affect. if you have ever said "Hey, did you see the show last night" or "which character is your favorite" you have participated in this phrase. Discussion in itself doesn't create a fandom, as humans will naturally discuss things that interest them. However discussion is an important factor as it helps lay the ground roots for the next phrases. 
3. Fan Creation
Fan creation refers to some subset of the community creating media based off of the content and imagery of the fandom. Fan art, Fan fiction, Cosplay, Fan-made games and Similar are all forms of fan creation. Fan creation an important if not most important factor of fandoms because it creates the final condition for fandoms. Consumption of secondary media which we will touch on soon. 
4. Theoretical/Critical Discussion
Theoretical discussion is the left  brain response to fan creation while some could argue is a form of Fan Creation. However it is distinct enough to warrant its own category. Fan theories and head canons fall under this category as well as the creation and editing of wikis, transcriptions, or synopsis. The creation of timelines or other quantifiable media also falls under this domain. Besides the aforementioned fan creation thru critical discussion. It should also be understood that this is the period where some fans have been well-versed enough to have these complicated conversations. It should also be noted how the three conditions allow these conversations to happen
5. Secondary Fan Consumption
This stage is what I consider to be the distinguisher between a fanbase and a fandom. A fandom not only produce fan content, (see stage 3), but consume it. A person in a fandom has developed a love for the show to a point that they will often seek out additional content whether its looking at fan art, reading fan fiction, or even perusing the wiki. A fandom is a community of people who create, share and consume this secondary fan creation. It should also be of note that occasionally the shows creators will respond to fan creation and incorporate it into the show such as the use of "Chat Blanche" in miraculous, the debunking of theories in season two of Gravity Falls, or the inclusion of the Nuka Breaker in Fallout: New Vegas (this item was an homage to Nuka Break, a fan series. The creators of Nuka Break added the item to their series without knowing that it was a nod to the show making a complete 560).

© 2021 Ryen James


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on January 26, 2021
Last Updated on January 26, 2021

Author

Ryen James
Ryen James

Medford, OR



About
Live in Oregon more..

Writing
Sleep Sleep

A Poem by Ryen James


Eulogy Eulogy

A Poem by Ryen James