My Silent World

My Silent World

A Poem by Le' Pugh'
"

A view from within...

"

I blithely stared out window yon at setting sun,

Pond’ring all the things that I had not yet done,

I spied a flower in the distant meadow fair,

And wished with all my heart that I could join it there.

  

As eyes were drawn to forest green within my view,

Where, playfully a buck and doe were bounding through,

They stopped to slake their thirst in trickling streams that course,

I longed to taste the water flowing from that source.

 

Next door a tiny child was playing in the yard,

He kicked a can from side to side, he kicked it hard...

A cheer rose up inside me when he feigned to win!

Within my mind I joined the game that he played in.

 

Up upon the hillside stood one single tree,

And as I gazed it burned a hole inside of me,

For just as it was growing and moved not from there,

So I shall never speak or walk or play…

 

Here in this chair.

 

 

The mind of a person with cerebral palsy is just as active as anyone else’s… maybe more-so.

It’s hard for those of us who enjoy the simple pleasures of life to understand someone who is bound to a wheelchair; whose speech belies the intelligence of a fertile mind.

And it’s criminal for us to assume quality of life is tied to those same simple pleasures we so often take for granted.

 

© 2008 Le' Pugh'


Author's Note

Le' Pugh'
We judge people by appearance and speech... is that really all there is?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

We are often such self centered creatures we barely look beyond our own noses with sincere interest. I enjoyed this work and more importantly I appreciated the deeper meaning - the message as I received it was to not underestimate the heart of another - what they can or cannot experience of this world is not something anyone else can measure. I find that particularly true when I am working with autistic children. People treat them as if they are mentally handicapped and cannot understand things readily, but I find they are challenged to demonstrate their understanding far more than limited by their ability to understand. Interesting you chose silence as the womb of sorts - lack of communication seems like silence, but you prove - as long as there is a song within you - life is a symphony.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Within my mind I joined the game that he played in."

This is touching brings tear to the heart
as its forward motion thoughts
speaks the soul as an open book
I felt transported as if i was looking out
the window, watching the buck
play in captivation the meaning
is touching to be grateful in light of
living beautiful work le' loved it thanks.


Posted 16 Years Ago


Yes, this is a poignant piece, something I would consider to be literature, not just a mere piece of writing. The message here is clear, precise and well taken, my friend. There is so much more to a person than how well they speak, or how fast they can, or cannot---run.

What you refer to here is not easily communicated with words. Yet, you have broadened my understanding of the disabled and even of the common human. Because, this judgment you speak of, flows throughout humanity. We judge others by their physical appearance, education and ability to communicate, without getting to know the real person who lives beneath the flesh.

Wouldn't it be nice if all the workers in the healthcare system realized what you have just so poignantly put here. That the human mind has no bearing on physical appearances, or physical abilities for that matter. Helen Keller who was mute, blind and deaf, showed us how fertile the human mind is and how the constraints of physical disabilities mean nothing when it comes to intelligence and an active mind.


Thank you, I am glad I read this.

Imogean~

Posted 16 Years Ago


Ya know before your explaination of this piece...I was going to guess that that's what it was all about!
You really gave a voice for the disabled and I applaud you loudly for that! This is wonderful :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


There are so many people that are judged wrongly because of outward appearance or something someone else does not understand the circumstances of. The Bible tells us at Romans 2:1 Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are, if you, judge. For in the thing in which you judge another, you condemn yourself, inasmuch as you that judge pratice the same things.
This is so beautifully written.
Another fav.

Posted 16 Years Ago


wow that was great work so sad but true we all need to be thankful for and greatful for the good things in our lifes and others and not take each other for granted every awsome work thank you for sharing it

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem is so beautiful it melted my heart, brought a sweet tear to the eye.
I commend you for sharing such warmth and beauty.
You are so right. We live in a fast paced, judemental, material world today and it is so damn sad.

Hugs

Michelle

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 11, 2008
Last Updated on April 11, 2008

Author

Le' Pugh'
Le' Pugh'

Anchorage, NE, Christmas Island



About
My new book is here! Purchase "Wings to See" at Barnes and Noble Also available on Amazon or www.fracturedrepublic.com �Wings to See� takes you on year-by-year journey thro.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Faith Faith

A Poem by Phill Oz O'fee


True Magic True Magic

A Poem by Le' Pugh'