Jump!

Jump!

A Story by Christopher Farley
"

That defining moment when fear finally lets go.

"

Danny edged himself closer to the edge, on his hands and knees.  He’d been thinking about this moment for a while now, thinking at the end it would be easy but here, now, it was so different.


It seemed he could hear the water far below him, calling to him.  He knew that it was too late to turn back; how could he face the shame?  Inching himself backwards, away from the edge he stood up, his liquid knees barely keeping him upright, his heart beating a military march.  The palms of his hands were wet with sweat and he shivered as nerves took hold of his stomach and knotted it.

 

He decided he didn’t want to look down again, the only thing to do would just be to run and jump, eyes closed.  He took a few deep breaths, his eyes fixed upon the horizon.  This is it; he thought to himself, this is the moment I’ve been waiting for.  He ran.

 

Young Danny, 6 years old, entered the water with a splash.  When he surfaced he looked up at the high-board, raised his fist in the air, and swam to the side of the swimming pool.

© 2012 Christopher Farley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great little story. I had to read it twice; the second time from the perspective I achieved the first time. I didn't expect the ending, but it was a neat ending.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ha, brilliant! I genuinely thought this was the opening scene of a suicide attempt. Good work indeed.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 24, 2012
Last Updated on June 24, 2012
Tags: fear, courage, achievement, suicide, water, swim, dive, flash fiction, writing

Author

Christopher Farley
Christopher Farley

Lugano, Switzerland



About
English expat in the middle of Europe. I have been writing, for want of a better word, on and off for a while but I enjoy myself, which I guess is the main objective. more..

Writing