Sorry, You're a Hostage

Sorry, You're a Hostage

A Story by Michelle Leiva
"

Staying after school may not have been the best idea for Blanc, especially since now she's being held hostage by another student with a gun. Will she get out safely or is there something else going on

"

The clock in the English classroom ticked away as the school day was about the end. A tired teacher packed all of their papers away and put on their coat. They were ready to leave early when there was a knock at the door. Grabbing their bag, the teacher went to open the door. A young student of theirs stood in the hall.


“Hi Mr. Rees. Sorry to come at this time.” She fretted.


“No trouble at all Blanc. I was just about to leave however. What can I help you with?”


“I left my textbook in one of the drawers here,” Blanc answered. “Would you mind if I look for it?”


Mr. Rees checked his watch a bit anxiously. “I don’t mind, but I have to leave to pick up my kids for an appointment.” He looked at Blanc with a smile. “You won’t trash the place if I leave you in here, right?”


She laughs. “Of course, I’ll be quick!”


“Good, so I’ll lock the door and leave it open. I’ll trust you to close the door and turn off the lights.” After locking the door, he stepped out and nodded to Blanc. “See you tomorrow then.”


“See you, and thanks again!” Blanc replied as Mr. Rees made his way out to his car. She turned back into the classroom and began to search for her book. In class, she sat near the row of windows that had a view of the school library across the street. It wasn’t much of a sight, but Blanc thought it was perfect for daydreaming in class, not to mention forgetting her things too. Just as she thought, her textbook was right next to her seat.


Silly me, this has been the 3rd time this mon- A loud noise disrupted her thoughts. She looked out the window. That sounds like it came from the library. School technically hadn’t ended yet; she got out early from her art class because she needed to get her book. It wouldn’t be odd for there to be people at the library; nevertheless, it gave her chills.


Muffled screaming. What was going on? Someone ran out of the library, a scrawny guy tripping over himself to get out of there. There was something in his hand she couldn’t make out. Administrators were chasing him. Blanc started to hyperventilate. Nervously she grabbed her things, but she couldn’t take her eyes off the scene. The boy ran across the street where the classrooms were, dodging parked cars and incoming traffic. What in the world is- Footsteps were coming. Growing louder and quicker. The lights suddenly went off. She snapped back to look at the door; the boy was hunched over panting with his hand on the switch. He grabbed the door handle and closed it slowly without making a sound.


Blanc couldn’t breathe. The guy made eye contact with her and stood up. Blanc’s eyes widened and darted to his hand. A gun. Immediately she gasped to scream when he ran up to her and covered her mouth with his other hand.


“Shh!! Get down!” He urgently whispered.


Terrified, Blanc made muffled noises of fear as she dropped to the floor with him. She dreaded what would happen to her if she didn’t listen. She had no idea that going back to get this textbook meant being caught in a hostage situation; no amount of education is worth losing your life over. Still covering her mouth, the boy looked up anxiously, afraid to look at the window. The gun was still in his hand, adding to Blanc’s fear. After what seemed like ages, the boy let out a long sigh and dropped his hand from Blanc’s mouth. She sighed as well, but much more raggedly.


“P-please don’t… h-hurt me…” She started to cry quietly, terrified if she made any loud noises, he wouldn’t hesitate to harm her. The boy placed the gun next to him and put his hands up.


“Are you okay? I am so, so sorry. Really please, don’t cry. Let me explain…” He whispered apologetically. He wore a plaid coat over a plain t-shirt, skinny jeans, and Converse shoes. He doesn’t look so murderous, Blanc thought. She wasn’t sure whether he was the right person to trust at the moment. Although with a weapon less than a foot away from him, she really didn’t feel like it was a choice.


Wiping her eyes, Blanc nodded. “O-okay, talk.”

~

Attention students. This is a Code Black situation. An armed student has fled the library to the classroom area. The police will be arriving for investigation so for the safety of the staff and student body, we ask you to remain in your classes until further notice. We will contact the buses for delay. We are sorry for any inconveniences.

The P.A. crackles to end the message. Blanc looks back to Colin. “What are you going to do?”


Colin winces and sighs. “I don’t know. I mean, I don’t know what to be more worried about at the moment. The fact that I’ve taken the whole school hostage, that I couldn’t be there for my friend, that they would ever feel so terrible in their life that they would even consider taking their life along with others, or that trying to get the gun away from them, I actually shot them.”


He buries his head in his knees. Blanc looks down to the gun. She’s experienced bullying before, but never to the level where she’d feel… homicidal. Even more so, she can’t even imagine if it was one of her friends. How awful would it be to let this happen without ever knowing?


“How many people were in the library?”


“Not too many,” Colin lifts his head. “So quiet, no one even noticed when he pulled it out. I freaked out. ‘Bailey, what the f**k.’ He didn’t say anything; just looked so, tired.” He looked to Blanc, who had been tapping on her textbook silently. “Thanks Blanc, for listening.”


“Oh! It’s no problem. I’m so sorry about Bailey. I hope he’s alright.”


“Me too, and I should be the one apologizing to you. I didn’t mean to hold you hostage or anything.”


Blanc half-smiled. “No, no, it’s fine. At least it wasn’t ill-intentioned!”


Colin smiled back. He still felt sorry that a nice girl like Blanc had to get tangled in this situation. “There’s no easy way to explain way there’s a gun in your hand and a bleeding kid. I panicked and ran into the first class I saw open. I know Mr. Rees and how he likes to stick around in his last period to finish work.”

Blanc looked back up to the clock. It had almost been 15 minutes, but it seemed like hours. She looked back at Colin to mention it, but he stared at the ground silently.


“Colin?” Almost immediately, teardrops hit his glasses. Blanc realized this was hitting him harder than she thought. He glanced up, eyes red.


“Sorry,” he sniffled. “I-I just… wish I could’ve done something.”


She patted him on the shoulder. “Colin, it’s not your fault. I understand how you think it could be.” She thinks of her friends and how she’d react. “You didn’t know. I know that if you did, you would do everything in your power to help. Bailey must know too, especially how you even tried to stop him.”


Colin made eye contact with her. Her blue-green eyes have sincerity. Not even an hour of knowing her and she already felt a need to comfort him. “I still can’t shake the guilt though… Sometimes I wish I was a better friend.”


“Don’t we all? We just have to trust in our decisions and actions. Sometimes you can’t prevent pain. But what you can do is help treat it. That’s what friends are for.”

Removing his glasses, Colin wipes his face. Thanks, he mouths. Blanc smiles, “It’s what I’m here for.”


Seconds later, the sound of keys unlocking the door shocked the two. Slamming open, several officers, administrators and a single janitor open the door filling the room. Blanc and Colin hop up to stand. The Principal walks over to the two sternly, eyeing Colin. “Colin Phillips?”


“Yes, ma’am. I apologize for the trouble, if you would let me explain �"”


“No need,” she cuts in. “Your friend Bailey confessed to bringing the gun. We’ll still have to bring you in for questioning. It’s a very suspicious �"“


Colin didn’t care to hear the rest. “Bailey! How-How is he?” Blanc looked anxiously to hear the news as well.


She glared at him. “He’s in good condition. The bullet was in his upper arm, not hitting any major arteries.” She nods to the officers, who were conversing with administration, some already retiring to their phones. “You’ll have to come with us for further news.” She turns to Blanc. “I apologize for this. I trust that you aren’t involved with such riffraff Miss Blanc.”


Using the term riffraff leaves a bad comedic taste in Blanc’s mouth. “No ma’am. I was just getting my textbook.”


“I locked her in here.” Colin says unhesitatingly, receiving some suspicious looks from officers.


“I would refrain from such claims until questioning Mr. Phillips.” The Principal detects his mistake in admitting it.


“Right, sorry.”


The administrators file out with the officers following, one carrying the gun in a bag marked “A”. Blanc couldn't ease her fear that Colin would be in actual trouble. A reassuring smile from him temporarily did.

Grabbing her things, she followed Colin and the Principal out. “I hope things turn out alright. For you and Bailey.”


“Me too,” Colin agreed. As he turned to follow the crowd, he thanked/apologized Blanc one again.


Blanc grinned waving goodbye. “It was no trouble Colin. After all, what are friends for?”

 

© 2015 Michelle Leiva


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was not good nor bad, but okay. Perhaps with my soiled mind, I had wished for Colin to hold her hostage and threaten to murder her. I'm all for the violence.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 20, 2015
Last Updated on May 20, 2015
Tags: stories, high school, original, teenagers, school shootings, suicide, friendship, guns, shooting

Author

Michelle Leiva
Michelle Leiva

Fresno, CA



About
Artist and Writer, I love to write stories and bring them to life through art. I'd love some opinions on my stories! @Farmersakki on Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram more..

Writing