Story of Wyatt Part 1

Story of Wyatt Part 1

A Story by Ferret
"

Winter has many tucked away in a the Hornet's Nest, where, this dull night, an old man tells tales of a skilled young adventurer, Wyatt. Inspired by the game Dungeons & Dragons

"

It's a harsh winter night all around the land, as one traveler's' tavern named the Hornet's Nest is populated by those seeking refuge from the cold. The tavern is fairly quiet, a few chats going on here and there, but nothing much. Very few people know anyone else in here, but an old man breaks the silence. "How about I tell a story to pass this winter night? Hmm?" Most ignore him, but one a young eager girl barely old enough to hold a sword, walks up to the old man.

"Could you tell us one of adventure, sir." The little lass half-heartedly asks. Several people turn their heads to fuel their curiosity of what might happen.

The old man chuckles, knowing he's already got a crowd ready. "Now how can I say no to that." He takes out a small book from his black long coat, then opens it only to have it become a bigger book, he does this 3 times, then dust it off. Heads turn and eyebrows raise as they see the magic happen. The old man opens the book to a specific page, as the girl sits in front of him. He clears his throat, and begins the story.


Wyatt sits eagerly next to his hulking companion, Samuel, on the docks, as they wait for clearance to board the ship. The ocean breeze presses against their faces, as the minutes past miserably. Dock workers and other passengers board the ship, as Wyatt feels as if his patience is being tested. He runs his hand through his rough black hair fixing it to the side, only to have it blown around by the wind just seconds later. He taps his foot to a steady beat, thinks of a tune, and pulls out his lute. Just as he starts playing a few notes and catches people's attention, a sturdy man with a black bandana, scruffy clothes, and a face to match approaches them.

"The Capt gave y'all an OK." The sailor said. Wyatt sighed and nodded towards the bald brute next to him. Samuel stands up towering over both Wyatt and the sailor, and picks up the barrel he sat on and walks towards the boarding dock. Wyatt follows, ignoring the sailor who is gawking at Samuel's size. Samuel approaches the ship and looks down at the gangplank, not completely sure if it's strong enough to hold his weight. "You're fine... She's seen heavier." The sailor ensured as he came up behind the two. Samuel shrugs and makes his way up, still distrustful, but gets across fine. Wyatt and the sailor follow behind.

"What be in t' barrel?" an age voice surprises Wyatt. He looks around to see an old man walking down the stairs from the helm of the ship. The man obviously looks to be the captain, with shaggy white hair, and a beard that reaches the elder's chest. Sporting a faded black, worn, long coat with one sleeve hanging at his side, a grey tunic underneath and a baldric carrying a rapier at his side. He walks up to the trio, the sailor salutes, the captain acknowledges him, and the sailor walks off. "It's not nice t' keep secrets."

"What you don't know, won't hurt you Captain...?" Wyatt stops, waiting for an answer.

"Captain Vex Snow Beard. Me crew calls me Captain Snow, you be welcome t' as well...Also, I believe it wise t' be cautious o' t' unknown" Snow raised his brow, still hoping for an answer.

"I value my life, and you should value yours as well. It's harmless cargo to you, and it's part of my job it remains unopened and a secret to all of us." Wyatt replies firmly, and hands Snow a small satchel of coins. "Payment for the ride, and a thank you for helping us on such a short notice."The Captain accepts the money, and places it within his coat. The afternoon moves on as the duo is shown their quarters, at the far end of the main deck, underneath the captains hold.  

Supper was served at dusk, conversation was kept to a minimum. The crew seemed like your standard bunch. Burly men, ragged clothes, and reeking of many scents, none of which are pleasant. Though a few stood out, a well kept man with short brown hair, and a religious symbol of one of the more common gods, around his neck. Also, a robed, mysterious, man sitting next to him. Not much of a physical stature with messy blonde hair, a grave, unpleasant face, and a staff leaning on the table.

Days go by, Samuel helps around the ship, while Wyatt stays in solitude writing songs, or makes conversation with the other shipmates. After doing some questioning he learned about the cleric and the wizard on the boat. The cleric, being named Jericho, has been exiled by his previous religion, but has found "salvation" in his current one. The wizard, Luther, is attempting to find a specific college, that's said to move around. Knowing Samuel kept his mouth shut and stayed busy by helping, Wyatt was in dire need of socialization. Several attempts of conversation with Jericho left Wyatt slightly annoyed, because of Jericho's random preaching from the book of his god, Bant. While he found Luther easier to talk to, he often became side tracked and ignored Wyatt to continue his studies. Suddenly an idea stuck Wyatt.

He made his way to the upper deck and knocks respectively on the Captain's door of his hold. Footsteps can be heard as Wyatt waits, he pulls out a parchment and a quill. The door opens, and Snow is standing there, curious of who his visitor maybe. "Ah Wyatt, be thar a problem? Surprised t' see you out o' your quarters for once. Lookin' t' lend a hand? I could use one." Snow laughs at his own joke, turns around and gestures Wyatt in.

Wyatt closes the door behind him, laughing somewhat awkwardly at the Captain's humor. "I've had troubles passing the time the last few days, and I was wondering if you could lend me a hand?" Wyatt pauses, as Snow chuckles, and gestures for him to continue. "You look like a man who's seen many adventures, I'm a bard, I am man who shares many adventures. I was hoping you could share yours to me, so that I may one day tell others of your story?"

"I'd be oblige!" Snow says cheerfully. Wyatt places his blank parchment on the table and joyfully writes as Snow shares his stories, occasionally and obviously exaggerating certain parts, but Wyatt leaves out no detail as he writes it down. Several nights pass, Wyatt going back to visit when the old man was available, and summarizing the story when Snow was occupied, so it won't feel too long, but still intriguing. On the 14th day of the sea journey, Wyatt has all the information he needs from Snow, writing everything down in his small handbook that he stores his stories and lyrics. When Jericho comes down from the upper deck and runs across to Wyatt

"Prepare for a battle, a ship almost twice our size is heading our way!" Jericho says "They have black sails with a white scorpion on them. I don't know exactly what that means but I don't like the looks of it." He rushes back up to the Main deck as Wyatt throws on a chain shirt, a belt with 10 small pockets, and a strange white leather vest, edged with silver piping and with silver buttons. He straps his lute on his back and grabs a simple longsword from a weapons crate nearby. His mind races wondering how the Scorpions found him out here.

Wyatt makes his way to the upper deck and on to the Helm where, Samuel, Snow, Luther, and Jericho were glaring at the Galleon heading on an intersecting course for them from the north east. Snow goes to the edge of the helm looking down towards his crew, who's all on the deck awaiting orders. "Men, it seems that we have a foe. Pirates! Most likely thinkin' we be a cargo ship. We can use that t' our advantage! They won't be usin' cannons, in fear o' damagin' t' cargo. T' only way t' reason with these men be with a blade at their throats! No holdin' aft, we can come out o' this alive. Keep your heads and weapons up proud, and don't ever stand down!" Snow's words were followed by a roaring cheer, as the men ran to ready cannons, and grab their weapons, the 5 stand already prepared. Snow with his rapier, Jericho with a mace and a wooden pendant , Samuel with a spear in his right hand, and Luther holding his personal book of spells, with the staff on his back.

They old man looks up from, the tables in front of him are slowly being filled. He chuckles and continues.


The galleon approaches, and fires ballista bolts with ropes attached into the hull of their ship. Gangplanks land creating a walkway between the ships. Samuel throws his spear at the nearest ballista operator, and jumps down to the deck. Snow yells "Fire t' cannons!" as gunports open up from the main deck , cannons pop out and blow holes in the enemy galleon, some explosions as the cannonballs hit barrels of gunpowder. Jericho and Luther start casting spells, while Snow slides down the stair rail and pulls out his rapier to fight off oncoming pirates. Wyatt has a plan of his own, he notices a large hole in ship just across from him. He takes a few steps back and runs, jumps, landing on top of the bulwark, then does another jump into the gaping hole below him. Tumbles past some burning ruble, and quickly recovers, now staring into the heart of the Scorpion's galleon. Cannons all around behind closed gunports, with few enemies making their way down to man them. All noticing Wyatt.

Samuel uses arm to bash a boarding enemy off into the water, then picks up the gangplank, causing those on it to lose balance and to fall off. Luther directs the palm of his hand at a group of enemies heading up the helm’s stairs. A symbol of magic appears in front his hand, as the pirates stop abruptly in fear, and a spider web expands from the symbol. Knocking the foes down the stairs and capturing them in the sticky web. Jericho holds a few hairs of an animal in his hand, "Bant! My God! Give me strength!", as the hairs disappear in a small light that protrudes from the amulet, and Jericho bulks up, making him seemingly stronger than the average man. He hops over the railing and onto the deck and starts swinging his mace around knocking enemies around with every hit, only to be rivaled by Snow. Snow parrying off any attack and retaliating back killing each enemy with a single strike. How ever the crew doesn't hold up as well, struggling to fight off their share of enemies.

Wyatt reaches into a pocket on his belt as 5 enemies rush towards him, and he pulls out a shred of wool. He waves his hand in a circular motion, whispers "Daze", and the wool turns into poof of smoke that clouds the mind of the oncoming enemies. The 4 stop in their tracks, but one shakes it off quickly and lunges at Wyatt with a short sword. The blow hitting Wyatt in the shoulder, but leaving no mark, because of the chain shirt. Wyatt then grabs the man's tunic and pulls him in and pierced his stomach with the longsword. Tossing the body to the side and walks past the remaining 4 still trying to shake off the spell. Wyatt reaches the stairs to the upper deck and turns around, takes a piece of pork rind from a pocket on his belt, uses some more hand motions, and says, "Grease..." as the pork rind turns into a balls of grease and it then sprays across the floor of the main deck and the now recovering, pirates. A piece of burning wood then ignites the grease which quickly spreads. Wyatt closes the hatch to the stairway and locks it as screams of the burning men can be heard, drawing attention to Wyatt.

Snow, Samuel, and Jericho restlessly defend off the oncoming flow enemies, as their own crew’s numbers dwindle, the trio’s job becomes increasingly difficult. Luther is bombarding the rival vessel, now careful not to harm Wyatt. Launching flaming spheres at the ballistas and any enemy wanting to use the cannons on the upper deck. Also attempting to knock off enemies with magical gust of winds, doing what he can to control the situation. Samuel swings the gangplank knocking enemies down or flying, eventually breaking it over someone’s head. Leaving him to use his fists, still knocking enemies back, oblivious to any strike that makes contact to him. Snow and Jericho are nearly back to back, making it impossible for either to be flank.

An orc just shy of the size Samuel charges across the deck towards Wyatt, with a warhammer. Wyatt quickly looks around knowing he can’t take this brute head on. Wyatt notices a large spare winch to his right, “Mage Hand!” as he attempts to reach out to it. The rope coiled around the winch, then flies towards Wyatt as if being pulled by an invisible force. The giant still rushing. Only a few feet away from each other, the rope makes it to Wyatt’s hand and wraps around. The enemy brute, slams his warhammer down towards Wyatt, but was to slow. Wyatt skillfully maneuvers around the left side of the orc and rolls all the way to the right side, looping the rope around the orcs legs. Catching the brute off guard, Wyatt pulls both sides of the rope, tripping the orc, who lands face first into the deck. The orc already attempting to recover, Wyatt cuts the rope and grabs the new end, leaving the old part tangled around the orc.

Wyatt runs over to a siege cannon and wraps the rope around attempting to use the rope as leverage to help move the barrel of the cannon. He struggles to turn it, but is still able to direct it towards the orc who is untangling the rope from his legs, and picking up his hammer. Wyatt turns around to look for the primer, only to be faced with a sword. The man behind it chuckles holding the primer, as he prepares to stab, but before the attack can finish, he is knocked to the side by a bull rushing Samuel, the primer flies into the air, Wyatt jumps up and grabs it then immediately turns around and ignites the cannon. Only to have missed the Orc who now is charging towards Samuel, but still blowing a hole into the doorway of their Captain’s hold.

The Orc raises his hammer and makes a swing for Samuel successfully catching him off guard and smashing his left shoulder. Samuel yelling with his left arm now rendered useless, grabs the orc’s warhammer with his right hand, and kicks the orc back. The orc let’s go of the hammer and Samuel pounces onto the Orc knocking it down then bashes his head in with the orc’s own warhammer.


“Yea!” a man in the audience cheers. The old man looks up and gives a harmless glare at the man, who apologies. The old man chuckles again, then notices the crowd of people, and grins to himself.


Wyatt makes his way to the captain’s hold. He looks around, the dark, empty room. Spiderwebs used as decorations, and an alchemy station, full of herbs and poisons. Wyatt grabs a few bottles, and holds them against his belt as it magically vanishes into it. The room is filled with colors of purple, and black, from the drapes to the rug. Only things that aren’t of those colors are what is made out of wood, and the fire from the torches, which happen to be a strange color of green. He pulls out a golden monocle, attaches the ear clip and looks through it. Nothing around has magical properties, other than the desk which is covered with arcane marks and alarms, to make sure no one is gonna be nosy. The room only brings one thing to mind, “Dark Elfs”. Wyatt shutters at the thought, but is abruptly stops as smoke fills the room, Wyatt backs up towards the hole he made, as the floor is set ablaze.

He jumps out seeing that we’ve won the battle, and Luther has destroyed the ballistas, freeing their ship. He makes his way back onto their boat and kicks off the last remaining gangplank. Wyatt only sees 3 of the remaining shipmates along with Jericho, Sam, and Luther on the deck. Snow however is walking down to the main deck. Jericho walks over to the few men tangled up in the spiderweb. “What should we do with them?”

“Question them. Why did they attack us? I don’t think it’s pirates to be honest.” Luther replies. One of the men were about to make a snarky comment when a scream obviously coming from the captain, pierces the air, and is silenced immediately. The 7 remaining rush down to the main deck, only to find Snow lying dead at a dark figure’s feet. The dark elf, and she had the barrel.

“Thank you…” She says in a grim, stuck up voice, as she waves her hand and a portal opens up and vanishes as soon as she enters. Samuel has a panic look on his face, Wyatt however seems only to be upset by the death of Vex Snow Beard.

Wyatt kneels down next to the body of his deceased new friend. “There was no reason he had to die like this. I’ll make sure his story is remembered by many.” Wyatt sighs, and stands up. “Every crew member of ours, that died today gets a proper sea burial, and those that we killed, will burn along with their ship!” His rage growing. He takes a deep breath and calms down.

“Sir, what about the orb?” Samuel questioned in his deep, natural booming voice. Jericho, Luther, and the crewmates all go wide-eyed, hearing Samuel speak for the first time. Wyatt gives a small smirk.

“Always be one step ahead of your enemies.” Wyatt chuckles, touches one of the small pouches on his belt, and a small satchel with the mysterious orb inside appears in his hand. He places it back inside. “Well let’s get cleaning.”

With the help of Samuel they managed to throw the dead enemy bodies onto their slowly burning ship. The ones wrapped up had mysteriously vanished when they returned to the upper deck. After a few repairs were made, the ship was on it’s way and back on course. The bodies of the crew were given proper sea burials, with the help of Jericho. Wyatt now stands at the helm looking towards the sunset, wearing the late captain’s, black long coat and his baldric. Letting the ocean breeze press against his face, as the time pasts miserably. He runs his hand through his rough black hair fixing it to the side, only to have it blown around by the wind just seconds later. He taps his foot to a steady beat, thinks of a tune, and pulls out his lute. “Only a few more days till I’m home." He strums his lute and sings his new masterpiece, “The Tale of Snow Beard.”


The old man closes the book, and notices everyone in the tavern had gathered, even the workers had stopped what they were doing just to listen to his tale. He sighs, and takes a quick break. “I’ll continue, if you all so please, let me take a little break.” He stands up, stretches his back, ruffles his coat, and walks outside. The cold hits his face, blowing his grey hair around. He doesn’t seem bothered by it. He sits down on a bench and sighs, “Those were the days.”  A small tear protrudes from his left eye, and freezes just a second later.

© 2015 Ferret


Author's Note

Ferret
I would like any sort of advice, from fixing grammar, to changing how I phrase my words. Any form of criticism is allowed. I would also like to know if you enjoyed it or not.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on September 16, 2015
Last Updated on September 23, 2015
Tags: D&D, Magic, Fighting, Pirates

Author

Ferret
Ferret

Garland, TX



About
Hi more..