Peace after death

Peace after death

A Story by Fin Buckley
"

.

"

A woman has died. She has died and her soul has left her body and floated out of her bedroom, out of her house, and out into space. Amongst the stars she sees a body form out of nothing, a creature that simply willed itself into existence. It has deep, hypnotic eyes that spin like galaxies, illuminated like an aurora. Its skin is dark like the night sky, and speckled with distant stars. The woman would have guessed the creature was simply transparent if she could find herself caring enough to ponder that thought, instead she wills her body to steady.


The being idly rests before her, and she idly rests before it.


“I’m dead, aren’t I.” It is more of a statement than a question, and the being nods.


“If you join me, I can offer you peace.” A malformed hand extends toward the woman, and she gazes upon it but makes no move to take it.


“How is there peace after death?” Her voice is not skeptical nor doubtful, simply curious.


“You relinquish all the weights of living. There is no more pain, nor sadness, nor anger. There is no more happiness, nor admiration, nor love. You give up all mortal means of rationale and ascend to a higher plane of comprehension altogether.”


“You make it sound like that isn’t bad.”


“Because it isn’t.” The being adjusts the woman so the two of them are staring down at Earth, the one place she used to call home. She feels no attachment to it anymore. “You will look down upon yourself, upon the living realms, and realize that emotions are meaningful, but in the same breath they are trivial. Your kind spends their lives growing through using feelings; rationalizing their beliefs off of how they feel and the reactions of others based on those feelings, but why does it matter? You all die the same, you all end up in the same place, why do you take the time to destroy each other to feel better about yourselves?” The being’s eyes glance at her, and she feels the heat of them against her face. She makes no move to reciprocate the action, simply staring down at the small, blue rock she once knew.


“Because none of us know we all go to the same place. Some of us believe that by doing what we do, we are bettering the world.”


The being makes a noise that could be taken as laughter and shakes their head. “The world is in a constant state of deterioration, and no amount of goodwill or righteous mannerisms will prevent that. Your words and actions have no impact on the planet, words will be lost to the ages, even the ones your kind cherishes now. All will return to dust, as all was risen from dust.”


The woman shrugs and lets herself continue to float away, away from the planet and away from the being. “That may be so,” she says, looking at the being, “but humans will always fight against the inevitable. We’re stubborn and stupid like that.”


The being acknowledges the woman's declination and dematerializes, the woman continuing to float endlessly through space. 


She finds a strange peace in that.

© 2017 Fin Buckley


Author's Note

Fin Buckley
Just something I had to write out of my head. Based on another dream, but also inspired by a bad mood.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting topic. What happens after we go, and what it's like, is anyone's guess.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good sir :) it's funny because today I saw a video on a similar topic.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fin Buckley

7 Years Ago

Really? Could you PM me a link or the title? :0
Asha

7 Years Ago

Let me see what I can do bud, it was on facebook.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2017
Last Updated on May 20, 2017
Tags: story

Author

Fin Buckley
Fin Buckley

About
I simply enjoy writing. Let the littlest things inspire you, and let that inspiration run wild. You will find yourself making a lot of art when you do. more..

Writing
Tracks Tracks

A Story by Fin Buckley


Throne Throne

A Poem by Fin Buckley


Waiting Waiting

A Story by Fin Buckley