Bottle

Bottle

A Story by Fin Buckley
"

"I always walk away to the sound of him putting pennies, one by one, into a bottle."

"

What’s your favorite word?


Bottle. I like the word bottle. When I say it, I can hear change being knocked around inside a glass. I can hear it begin when you get to the ‘T’ in ‘bot’, and it finishes when you say ‘tlle’. Bottle. Bottle bottle bottle bottle. It’s such a nice sound, even though it’s only in my head.


It reminds me of when I used to save change in a jar as a child. I still save change in a jar, though now I never keep the pennies. I collect them until my roommate locks himself away, unresponsive to my calls and knocks against his door.


I take a cup and I place the pennies inside, covering my hand over the mouth before I shake it. I shake it obnoxiously and right up against his door so I know he’ll hear it. If he doesn’t respond then I pour the cup out onto the floor, listening as the pennies clatter and roll away from me. I get down on the floor and begin to send the coins under the crack and into his room, one by one. I make sure they hit against each other when I do it, so he knows it's happening, even when he looks out the window on the other side of the room like he always does when he’s in a mood.


He opens the door for that. He’ll stare down at me and I’ll stare up at him, neither one of us speaking while I push the remaining pennies up against his feet with the side of my palm. I’ll stand and he’ll try to close the door but I won’t let him, and silently I’ll pull him in for a hug.


We never really talk when he gets like this, we simply stand in his doorway with his hands shaking against his sides. I can never tell if it’s because he’s afraid to hug me back or because he wants to hit me. He never does either, though, so I don’t really think it matters much.


I pull away first because I’m the only one hugging and I close the door to his room for him. I always walk away to the sound of him putting pennies, one by one, into a bottle.

© 2017 Fin Buckley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww, I really liked this. It was funny and sweet. I'm sure even though he doesn't show it, it means something to him too.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

82 Views
1 Review
Added on May 28, 2017
Last Updated on May 28, 2017
Tags: story, ?

Author

Fin Buckley
Fin Buckley

About
I simply enjoy writing. Let the littlest things inspire you, and let that inspiration run wild. You will find yourself making a lot of art when you do. more..

Writing
Tracks Tracks

A Story by Fin Buckley


Throne Throne

A Poem by Fin Buckley


Waiting Waiting

A Story by Fin Buckley