Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Sanity?

Sanity?

A Story by Finally, Honesty
"

This is a story I wrote one day in class. It's not finished yet but I want some feedback and reviews. Enjoy

"

1

I entered the fluorescently lit room and took a seat. I glanced around at the empty room. “Why am I the only one here?” I thought aloud. The overwhelming silence was my only answer. I slowly traced my eyes across the room and started to take in my sterile surroundings.  The rows of desks and chairs were pristine and orderly, the pale tan walls were all uniformly boring. This wasn’t the first time I had been in this room.  A year ago today I had to stop in for one of my last psychiatric evaluations. Today was supposed to be an annual group session that would help the brainiacs in the white coats see how much progress all the former patients had made. I glanced down at my watch to check the time: 5:00pm. I was exactly on time. Exactly on time like I should be. Like everyone else should be. Normally Dr. Samuelson would be here already, awaiting the parade of ex-patients to amble through the door like a herd of psychiatric sheep. I waited in silence. Soon the rhythm of my heartbeat and the incessant ticking of the clock on the wall became too much. I stood up and began to pace the length of the drab, carpeted floor. TICK-TOCK TICK-TOCK. The clock kept playing its maddening tune. I stopped when I heard the doorknob jiggle. “Is everything alright, Mr. Taylor?” asked Dr. Samuelson. I whipped my head around towards the door and nervously froze. “Uh…I’m fine. Just a little anxious is all.” I replied. Dr. Samuelson gave me a knowing smile that accentuated his wise wrinkles. “There is no need to be anxious, Mr. Taylor, I was simply running a little behind with another patient.” He explained. I nodded jerkily and took a seat in one of the chairs nearest me. “So…where are the others?” I inquired. The doctor carefully placed his briefcase on the large wooden desk in the front of the room. He hesitated, then replied “I cancelled the group session for today. We believed it to be in your best interest if we had another one on one meeting.” .I looked up at Dr. Samuelson without an attempt to conceal the anger and confusion flooding my face and the fear slipping into my voice. “Who the hell is ‘we’? I thought I finished with all of the check-ups and psychiatric evaluations last year!” the words hastily spilled from my mouth as the doctor listened with a face of half-assed sympathy. The tick-tock of the clock began to hammer inside of my head again. Dr. Samuelson began to speak but was cut off when I shouted “shut that damn thing off!” The Doctor recoiled upon hearing my outburst but quickly recovered. He gave me that knowing glance I had become familiar with. We both waited in tense silence until I could catch my breath. “Listen, Doc, I’m sorry. But what the hell is going on here?” I asked. Gesturing to one of the chairs adjacent to his desk, Dr. Samuelson said “take a seat. Mr. Taylor. We need to talk.” I looked from the chair to the doctor’s hand and then slowly sat down. My mind was all over the place. 

© 2014 Finally, Honesty


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Pretty intense, very descriptive. I can picture you as the main character, but I can also picture Jensen Ackles. I don't know, probably because of Mr. Taylor's frequent use of "the hell". 😂 Overall, it's compelling and I'd love to read more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Finally, Honesty

9 Years Ago

Thanks! I'll try and write some more and post it sooon.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
1 Review
Added on July 9, 2014
Last Updated on August 14, 2014
Tags: story crazy struggle beginnings

Author

Finally, Honesty
Finally, Honesty

About
Coming back here to write all the things I shouldn't say. Living life, making friends along the way and hoping to go out with some great stories. Performing Artist, primarily Actor/Singer/Writer. more..

Writing