Dog

Dog

A Story by FirasJanabi
"

A micro-story about a boy and his dog.

"

DOG

 

So this is what dying feels like.

He was so thirsty. Strong little boy�"�"Josh, almost twelve�"�"stranded in the middle of the desert with his dog, Cosmo.

The sun’s been glaring down on them since it crept over the horizon. Been doing that for a couple days now.

Josh looked behind him, at the footsteps he and Cosmo had left. A long thin line that cut through the smooth desert sand, rising and falling with the dunes.

His skin was red, his lips were cracked and his mouth was dry. Couldn’t spit if he tried.

Hunger and thirst.

The dog was feeling it too, panting harder than he’d ever heard it. Poor thing, he thought.

If I had food or water, I would give it to you. But I don’t. We’re going to die out here. We’re going to suffer, and then we’re going to die.

‘I’m sorry, boy,’ Josh said as he gripped a heavy rock. ‘I’m doing it because I love you.’

His eyes welled up until tears streaked his cheeks.

Tongue hanging out one side, Cosmo just looked up at him with those eyes. Those eyes that asked with genuine concern, what’s wrong? Why are you upset?

Josh lifted the jagged rock above his head. The tears in his eyes blurred his vision, which made it easier. It was just a shape now.

Whack-a-mole.

He hit Cosmo between the eyes. There wasn’t even enough time for him to yelp. He just fell and began twitching. Blood trickled from the wound.

Josh hit him two more times, to make sure it was done.

And it was. The dog was dead.

 

Dehydrated and hungry as he was, Josh used his bare hands to dig a shallow grave. He put Cosmo inside and filled up the hole.

‘You were my best friend in the whole world, Cosmo. I love you. And I’ll miss you. Forever.’

‘Joshua,’ his mother called. ‘Come back in the house!’

‘Just a minute,’ Josh called back.

He covered any traces of blood left in the sandpit and ran back in through the kitchen. He heard voices at the front door.

His mother was talking to their next-door neighbor.

‘Sweety,’ his mother said. ‘Have you seen Cosmo? Janine thinks he may have run off.’

Josh shrugged.

‘Sorry.’

 

 

© 2014 FirasJanabi


Author's Note

FirasJanabi
Would love to know thoughts on sentence structure and grammar. Always had a tentative relationship with grammar.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome twist with excellent writing style. Sentence structure made the story flow perfectly.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Didn't see that twist coming. Really great writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow. Just wow. I just.....wow.
Excellent.

Posted 9 Years Ago


FirasJanabi

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
Holy s**t! :)

Well done, I literally said "Oh my god!" out loud while reading this at 7AM in a hotel room. The story evoked strong emotions from me twice, which I think was your intention, and it worked both times. Great work, I look forward to the next one!

Posted 9 Years Ago


FirasJanabi

9 Years Ago

Thanks Chris. Yeah, I wrote this one while my friends dog wouldn't stopped bugging me for head scrat.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 8, 2014
Last Updated on December 8, 2014
Tags: micro story, short story, quickfiction

Author

FirasJanabi
FirasJanabi

Sydney, City, Australia



About
First of all, Firas is pronounced Ferris. That's going to be hard to get across on the internet, but oh well. About me. I have an Iraqi father and an Algerian mother, was born in Poland and grew up i.. more..

Writing