Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
November 11th, 2016: How to face Donald Trump as president.

November 11th, 2016: How to face Donald Trump as president.

A Story by Ruth
"

An article I wrote on Facebook for my Facebook friends. I'm looking for critiques on the writing itself, and how I might improve the communication. I'm also open to feedback regarding the content.

"

I attended the Anti-Trump rally today that started in Union Square and ended in from of Trumps residence. It's been a very, VERY, interesting day, and in light of it all, I got to thinking about some things:

To set the scene, there were tons of posters and a crowd of of (85%) young people and a smattering of disillusioned older New Yorkers; it was incredibly diverse as well, with openly gay couples, Muslims, Native Americans, even sexual assault survivors with signs revealing their status and their fear. There were also drummers, musicians, dancers, people with boom boxes and cymbals: overall thousands of people. But among the posters sporting "Love Trumps Hate" and "I commit to changing the things I refuse to accept", there were also some posters that seemed hypocritical: a stuffed plastic Donald Trump mask on a stick, made to look like a severed head. A poster with a Trump head atop a pile of fly-infested poop. And the chanting: one section at one point started changing, "We hate you Donald Trump" and "F**k Trump". 
I found these laughably ironic, but I also felt a little uncomfortable. We just can't say both "Love Trumps Hate" and "F**k DT" at the same time. 

Among all the articles deluging my facevook feed, I've reading a few very interesting ones. Ones that talk about the things happening from the side of the Trump Supporter, while remaining relatable to the Hilary Supported. Here is one article I recommend: 
http://www.cracked.com/…/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one…/

To elaborate on these articles, I'd like to first share with you a personal story: At one point this past September I had rented out my apartment for a couple of months so I could go travel around the NorthEast to work on farms. My work-period ended a few days before the tenant staying in my room was to head back to Maryland, and I found myself in need of a place to stay for a couple of nights. Remarkably, and driven by cheap Airbnb prices, I found myself smack-dab in the middle of Newark, NJ. Yes, Newark, NJ - and not Airport Newark New Jersey like I thought, but - Newark NJ. Which I hadn't known until that moment was, well, 100% African American. For the first time in my life, I was truly he minority (wow, my black/Muslim/Latina holy crap #bravery).

I went out to get dinner, there and was the only white person for literally miles which meant I stood out quite visibly, and even incited comments and stares ("Its cool, white girl, all lives matter!"). (That was a direct quote and at the time, I really appreciated it).
P.S: wow, now I seriously get being treated differently because of my skin color, America.
In the Restaraunt, it was the same - all black except for me - And the TVs: which were high up on every single wall and all turned to channel 12. Never before had I seen how white, polished newscasters look so much like Big Brother, like the - untouchable perfects. The ones who knew what was right and all else - not in touch with their glorious high-class in-crowd - couldn't possibly measure up. 
Looking at the decent folks in that Restaraunt, then at the figures on those TV screens - and even, looking at myself, difinitively white and "privileged" - It hit home. 
That: A) I, and much of the news industry, live in a f*****g bubble
B) not all the rest of the world sees what I see 
C) White supremacy is a real thing, with very real implications. 
(And NOT in the way New Yorkers see it - we totally think we're the center of the world, guys, and in a way we kind-of are - but we really do live in a self-obsessed bubble.) 

So why do I tell that story? 
In all, what I get from all this, and those articles I read is - it sounds like some people in Middle America are really hurting. I would go so far as to say as - I don't think they're even PURPOSEFULLY racist: Were essentially missing each other's points entirely. The real culprare is that - middle America is deeply dissatisfied and feels overlooked. (To put it mildly if they just elected TRUMP president. They're trying to say SOMETHING.) Trump manipulated their dissatisfaction to his advantage. It was extreme, but he was playing off real feelings.

So - yeah, I have to take a second look at the negativity we're sending Trumps way, which is also, inevitably, taken personally by Trumps supporters. Trump should feel his shame - his supporters don't need the message that we think their stupid bigots we indiscriminately hate (ironic, right?). The more I look at it, the more I have to acknowledge that I have nothing against his supporters - I believe they're misguided in some respects, and that I deeply disagree with them in others, but I also GET WHERE THEYRE COMING FROM. 

I say this with a heavy heart, but it's starting to sink I for me: I think Donald Trump is really going to be our next President. And nothing - not signing petitions around the electoral college or anything - is going to change that. 

So, with this sad fact in mind, here's what I think about all this: 

On the public scale we must send Trump a message that we don't approve of his hate. He should receive all the shame for his behavior he deserves, and we must make him painfully, publicly aware that we've seen his ilk before and will not tolerate another Hitler or Holocaust for ANYONE. Protesting shows our brothers and sisters that we are with them, and we protect each other. These things ARE important, more then you might think; as one brilliant protest sign said, "protests are praying with your feet". 

BUT, on the individual scale, and as hypocritical as it may sound to the widespread Anti-Trump supporters among my friends, we must NOT condemns Trump. That's right, you heard me: no "NEW YORK HATES YOU, TRUMP", no "F**K TRUMP." Lets all aspire to truly do what Hilary said: "When he takes the low road, we take the high road." We owe it to ALL our neighbors, not just the ones who voted for Hilary or belong to minority groups. And let's stick to our own values, "Love Over Hate". 

As I said before, this country is dangerously divided. In trying to be accepting of our collective diversity (I myself am Jewish, female, and asexual), we also put ourselves at risk of alienating our very real and genuinely decent neighbors who are hurting; the ones who voted for Trump because they - THEY - truly believed in what Trump was saying. They wanted a better world. Just like we did. Though I will personally stand by my feelings that they were conned, I also recognize they're coming from a different point of view. They don't know how amazing my black, LGBTQ, Latino/a and Canadian friends are (their loss). It turns out they weren't the minority we thought they were. 

That said, still, to my friends: I don't in any way approve of Trump as President-elect, much less President. I don't approve of his behavior or racism. He ran on a platform of hate, has a checkered past, is full of proven lies, has been seen to support hostile governments and has otherwise no political skills or substantial knowledge of how the government works. He's like someone who volunteered to cook for a month at a food pantry then immediately interviews to be a chef in a top-tier Restaraunt. I mean, seriously - that's bull.
I march against him publicly because I believe HE IS unfit for the presidency. However - the ideals he ran under during his campaign? I'm for those just fine. 

Donald Trump: I dare you to live up to what you said you'd do. To my neighbors who supported him: let's fight together to address the problems you face, that I suspect are different then mine. Let's do this in the name of love and not hate.

© 2016 Ruth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the story and the way you tell it. In a way you pinpointed what people fear about immigration. You were the only white American in Newark. Did this faze you. Was it a gradual change, or was it overnight. I'm British. We've seen European migration change our country in ten short years. Now when people tell their politicians they don't like this change, and politicians ignore them. You can bet some party will come along, and promise change. This happened here, and now we're leaving Europe. The people have spoke. Now Trump may change America. I do believe the Republicans have so much power now, they probably don't know what to with it. Interesting times ahead i think. Dug my bunker just in case. lol

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ruth

7 Years Ago

Really glad to get this review. Also glad to hear about your experience.
Honestly, I'm hopin.. read more
Paul Bell

7 Years Ago

Might be a good idea at that. Who knows, the guy might inspire us all. Did i really say that. lol

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 14, 2016
Last Updated on November 14, 2016
Tags: Donald Trump, Op-Ed, Article

Author

Ruth
Ruth

New York , NY



Writing