Insatiable

Insatiable

A Poem by Dominik D. Rites
"

Once a love is lost, it is hard to love again.

"
Your life is my reason
for living.
Without you, I am but
flesh and
broken bones that hurt
and shake
beneath my thin skin.
And you
with the breaking heart,
take me
and squeeze my lungs
until they,
are forever stolen from
poor me.
Though it hurts so bad
to see,
my face crumble in my
reflection,
I breathe against the glass,
so cold
against my numb fingertips.
I haven't
felt your touch in so long,
that life,
in itself, is no longer felt.
I want
to find a set of lungs that
breathe
and no matter how bad the
heartbreak,
never let me die so cold.

To love,
again and again in your
sweetness,
and to only remember you
in every
softly spoken graze of breath,
is a love,
that will never exist again
for it is,
beyond my heart and beyond,
my numb
fingers that grasp with an
insatiable
longing to retrieve my stolen,
and broken,
lungs.

© 2018 Dominik D. Rites


Author's Note

Dominik D. Rites
My first love was when I was really little. I think one of the reasons why it was such a memorable time was because this love was definitely real. I remember feeling my breath get caught in my chest whenever I saw her. She was very unique too and always made me feel so incredibly happy. Even when I was made fun of by the other kids, she would always stick by me and tell me that there's nothing wrong with me. She would get upset sometimes too when the other kids would call me names and yell at them. We were inseparable. She moved away once preschool was over, but we kept in touch for two years before we lost contact. During that year, I fell in love with another girl and had my first kiss and while so many good and bad things were happening to me, she passed away in April of that year. I didn't find out until September. I was absolutely heartbroken. I had many friends either move away or simply stop talking to me once summer came around, so hearing that I had permanently lost her brought both sadness and a lack of love. I began to realize that I wasn't receiving a whole lot of love from my mother and many problems began to bloom. Nine years later, now a junior in high school, I have had one girlfriend and two boyfriends. Both of those boyfriends cheated on me and the one girlfriend found more interesting people to talk to. She texted me a few weeks ago saying that she missed me, but we've been mutual since the sixth grade. Never once did I truly feel the way that I did for that little girl from preschool with the cute summer dresses and snap-on white light-up shoes. It's amazing how much time has passed and yet I still feel her presence in my heart. I still miss her a lot. Hopefully, I will find someone who can make my heart flutter again but until then, I will continue to remember her and smile.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on August 22, 2018
Last Updated on August 22, 2018
Tags: heartbreak, love, loss, lust, sweet, sad, broken, commitment issues, poem, poetry, sad poetry, sad poem, love poems, love poetry, dark

Author

Dominik D. Rites
Dominik D. Rites

Montreal, Quebec, Canada



About
I'm an English Literature major looking to share some of my work with the world and gain a bit of experience. I enjoy poetry, fiction, horror, drama, tragedy, essays, and many other genres. I'm hoping.. more..

Writing