Darkness

Darkness

A Story by Following_Child
"

A short story about a man and a Siren. I've always had a fear of the ocean, and this as well as the legend of the Siren inspired this piece. I hope you enjoy!

"

Darkness. It has a funny way of making you feel alone, yet surrounded by monsters all at the same time. At first, all that could be heard was the soft growling of the sea. A quiet rumble, comforting yet unpredictable. As I strained to open my eyes, my weak body heaved with exhaustion and pain. Looking around I saw nothing but waves, surrounding the small, sharp rock I lay on. Algea creeping up from the rock onto me. Joining me onto the sharp object. A strange figure could be seen glistening amongst the kelp and waves. I couldn't tell if it was real or just a mere facade. My dry, burning throat suggested that I was dehydrated. My body was already failing me. The blur became larger and larger. Until a heavenly, angelic sound broke free from the silence of the waves. It was too perfect to be of this world. Too beautiful to be called a voice. The creature came closer so that the moonlight revealed its form. It appeared to be a nude woman. She had the most plump lips, silk for hair and skin smooth like butter. As she reached out her tender hand to caress my cheek, I instinctively backed away. A warm, calming expression came across her perfect face. The only thing odd about her was her eyes. Her cold, black, lifeless eyes which pierced through me. She wasn't looking at me, rather staring into my soul. As she continued to sing, the ocean calmed on her command. Her curves shone like stars in the darkest of nights. The unholiest of thoughts crossed my mind, thoughts no man should have. I almost gave into my crude, dark side. My hands longed to grasp her, my lips longed to kiss her. She laughed as I struggled, a melodic laugh as if she knew my thoughts. She once again reached out for me. "Stop! I'm a married man!" I cried out, escaping from her tight grasp. My resistance to this temptress seemed to pleasure her. She smiled a sweet, kind smile as I struggled. She had complete control over me, I was reacting how she wanted me to react. As I gave in to her seduction and felt her soft, warm hands along my arm, her dead eyes narrowed and her smile turned deadly. She barred her previously pearly white teeth at me, which were now more like knives. She dug her nails into my skin, blood streaming down my arm. She pulled me off of the rock and into the icy water. The calm, rumbling waves began thrashing about violently. My frail, decaying body went limp in the cold water. I tried to kick my legs and fight for survival, but it was already too late. She was dragging me down through the kelp and deep under the harsh waves. Once we were deep enough for the air to be knocked out of me, she stopped. She turned to me, that perfect smile again on her face. She continued singing once again. I stopped fighting. I accepted my end. She swam away from me, disappearing into the depths, as I slowly sank to the bottom of the sandy floor. The sea calmed and the beautiful coral around me began to glow with jellyfish. Erridicent, mystical creatures surrounded me. As I invited the cool water into my lungs, it all went dark. I ended in darkness.


© 2024 Following_Child


Author's Note

Following_Child
This is my first post, so please go easy on me. I'm looking to improve my writing, so any constructive criticism is welcome. Let me know what you think about this style?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on January 15, 2024
Last Updated on January 15, 2024
Tags: thriller, horror, sad, heavy, death, short story, Dark, Siren, new, fiction, fantasy, myth, legend, ocean, sea

Author

Following_Child
Following_Child

Cape Town , Western Cape , South Africa



About
Just another girl who loves to write. more..

Writing