Journey of Allium

Journey of Allium

A Story by Dreamer97

Bats. Why did it always have to be bats? Every time she were to enter a cave, or an old house, or sometimes even where she lived, there where bats. Scared the crap out of her every time. Of course opening the door to this abandoned castle it was no different. The second she broke down the doors she was swarmed by bats, flying right past her head if not running into it. The girl jumped and stood in an awkward pose with her hands covering her face. A half laugh half squawk came from behind her. She turned around in annoyance and seen of course it was her giant harpy eagle, laughing. He was huge, standing at about six foot seven or close to it.
"Shut up Quinn you big oaf! I could've made you bust down the door!" She shouted back at him. Of course he wouldn't have cared if she did. Probably would've tried to eat one.
The girl herself stood at about five foot four with long light blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail. She also had amber colored eyes and wore a grey t-shirt with blacks shorts.
She continued into the castle, lighting a torch as she went in. The place looked like it had been stripped of anything valuable long ago, but you never know. The whole place was covered in a thick layer of cobweb. It was all over the walls, old paintings, just all over the place. The thickest of it was covering a doorway leading higher into the castle.
She took a machete hanging at her side and started hacking her way through the heavy webbing. She hacked away continuously up the stairs until she was in a large room. It appeared to be some kind of thrown room from the looks of it, but even stranger was that it had remained untouched, except for the webs covering everything. The girl looked around for a bit, collecting any gold coins or weapons lying about and sticking them in her bag. She was about to leave the room when something on the throne itself caught her eye.
It was a beautiful jewel encrusted crown! She grinned and ran over to it, dusting it off and lifting it up.
"Jackpot! I bet the money I get from this thing could feed us for months!"
She began to think to herself 'why hasn't anyone taken this yet?' When she heard a loud hissing coming from behind her. Her eyes widened as she turn around to find her face inches from the fangs of a giant funnel web spider.
She couldn't really read spider facial expressions but it was pretty clear this spider was not happy as it began to speak in a hissy voice.
"Who do you think you are human, to trespass in my castle? And who do you think you are to tear up my beautiful webs!" It hissed loudly making the girl jump up on the thrown.
"Um, I'm Adeline, Adeline Allium. Friends calls me Allie. I'm a treasure hunter." She said with a nervous laugh.
"A thief is more like it! Everything in this castle belongs to me!" Hissed the spider, venom dripping from its fangs.
Allie slowly started to to move off the side of the thrown, not taking her eyes off the huge arachnid, with it also not taking its eyes off her.
"Oh, well you know, gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat. But I'm afraid I must be going." She says, starting to back up towards a stained glass window.
"You humans are all the same. Think everything belongs to you. Well not this time. NOBODY steals from me!" Hissed the spider.
It charged Allie and she took action, grabbed hold of her machete and throwing it at the spider before it could get too close. The blade spun forward and sliced off two of the spider's legs, causing it to wail in pain. By the time it had looked up Allie was running towards the window, crashing through it. The colored glass surrounded her as she began to fall, but right before she hit the ground her eagle, Quinn, caught her shoulders with his talons and started to fly away from the castle.
After about five minutes of dangling in his grasp she called up to him, "Hey Quinn! Can we please stop so I can get on your back?! This is not an ideal way to fly!"
The bird either couldn't hear her or was choosing to ignore her, probably the latter.
"Fine, it doesn't matter, soon we are going to be rich once I sell this crow..." she stopped mid word and looked down at her hands. No crown. She knew she didn't have it in her bag, which meant she must have forgot and dropped it when she threw her machete. She grit her teeth in anger but then just sighed.
"Hey Quinn, you wanna know what I hate more than bats? I HATE SPIDERS!"

After finally getting back on the bird's back Allie started treating all the cuts from the falling glass. Though there weren't many it was always important to keep them clean, especially in times like this when ointment and such were so expensive. She then turned her bag around to check her loot.
"Well it's not much, got some scrolls, a few daggers, and some gold coins that we can use to pay off our debts and get a bite to eat hopefully." She says, sighing.
Quinn looks back at her. "Anything interesting in the scrolls?" He squawks.
Allie squints her eyes. "So now you decide to talk do you? But no not really, I was in a bit of a hurry to look through all of the castle. So, I just grabbed all that looked sellable." She groans. "Maybe Deagol will buy them off of us. He's really into all this old written stuff."
Quinn nodded in agreement as they flew on. They flew for about fifteen minutes until they started to hear the clashing of metal on metal along with roars and shouts and cries. In the distance they could see smoke floating up over a large area.
"Looks like a battle is going on. Probably the Orcs and the humans. We'll just avoid them." Allie says, watching the fighting as it came into view.
"What's the matter Allie girl? Scared you might get recruited? Don't you want to help your poor fellow man?" Quinn says sarcastically, a slight smirk on his face.
Allie rolls her eyes. "Yeah, maybe if this war wasn't over some petty land dispute. Just the king being greedy as usual, affecting everyone with a damn war."
"Well you got a point there. Alright let's get on out of here.." says Quinn before they heard a loud voice shouting.
"Look to the sky! Kill the human! Fliers mount up!" Roared the voice of an orc.
Allie's eyes widened as she heard the voice. Her and Quinn exchanged worried looks.
"You don't think they were yelling about us do you?" Allie asks.
As she spoke 3 orcs appeared from the trees, riding on the backs of 3 green dragons, and they were headed straight for her.
"I think they were!" Squawks Quinn as he makes a sudden jet upwards.
The dragons quickly caught up to the eagle, blasting balls of flame at Quinn and Allie. Quinn made quick turns and spirals in the air dodging the blasts of flame. The dragons were much bigger, but they couldn't match up to Quinn's speed.
"I can't keep this up forever! Those are tracker dragons they're riding, so we won't be able to run! We have to take them out!" Quinn says, spiraling to dodge another blast of flame.
"I can't! I lost my machete back at the castle! Oh wait hang on!" Allie shouts, reaching into her bag and pulling out a long dagger she had picked up from the castle. "Now lets attack!"
She stood up on Quinn's back with the weapon in her hand as Quinn made a sudden spin, turning towards the nearest dragon with his talons outstretched. They collided with the Dragon's face and Allie jumped forward towards the Orc, who had no time to react before she ran the dagger through it's neck.
It gasped for air, blood spitting from it's neck as the dragon it rode began to fall, screeching in pain from being blinded by Quinn's talons. Allie quickly drew the sword hanging on the Orc's side and leapt out, quickly landing on Quinn's back who shot upward to avoid more dragon flame.
This time he flew up above the dragon's, and before they had time to pursue Allie had already leapt off his back and was heading towards the nearest orc.
She landed behind the orc and with the speed from the fall assisted her, ran the sword down through the Orc's body. It gasped and began to fall as she pulled the sword from it's now lifeless body.
She looked over and seen Quinn swoop down on the last dragon, grasping it's rider in his talons. He then shot up into the sky as the orc screamed and cussed at the eagle. They disappeared into the clouds and a few seconds later she seen the orc falling from the sky, and watched as it crashed into the ground somewhere out of her vision.
The dragon she rode had by now landed and shook her off, taking off into the sky along with the other surviving dragon. As they flew off Quinn landed back down beside her, watching the dragons leave.
"Without the Orcs to direct them they won't care about us. Should be safe to head on home." Says Quinn plucking a couple of charred feathers from his chest. "But hey, maybe those orcs have gold on them. Or we could sell their weapons."
Allie looks down at the bloodied sword in her hand and shakes her head.
"These weapons are crude. And I doubt very highly that they would have anything worth our time. Besides we should get going before the rest of the orcs notice their fliers aren't returning." She says as she climbs on Quinn's back. "Let's just go back to the tavern and maybe we can get some sleep."

By the time they had arrived in their home town night had fallen. She landed in front of a tavern called The Salty Toad, looking inside the window before walking in.
The place seemed to be empty, but as she walked past the bar she heard a voice say, "a bit late coming home don't you think?"
Allie groaned and looked down. In front of her stood a halfling, or rather below her. He was around four feet tall with silver-grey hair and bushy sideburns. He wore a a white shirt, red vest, and brown pants with no shoes to cover his large hairy feet.
"Sorry, Godwin, I really didn't mean to be gone so long." Says Allie rubbing the back of her head.
Godwin stared her down for a second before smiling and shaking his head.
"I don't mind, you're a grown woman. You may do as you please." He says as he pulled a cigar from his pocket and lights it. "Come now, I want to hear all about today. Just in time too, I think the scones I was baking are about ready."
"Yeah, that sounds good." Allie smiles as she follows Godwin into the back of the Tavern.
In the back of the tavern was Godwin's home, and you wouldn't believe how nice it was. A living room with a big chair and fire place, a kitchen and pantry, stocked with lots of food and beverage, and a dining room with solid oak furniture. While Allie sat down at the table he disappeared into the kitchen and came back with a large plate of scones and a jar of jelly.
He sat down and looked at Allie as she took one for herself and flicked the ashes from his cigar into a toad shaped ashtray beside him.
"So tell me, where did you go this time? And what did you find?" Asked Godwin, genuinely interested.
She told him all that happened that day from the castle, to the spider, and about losing the crown. He chuckled slightly at that but frowned as she told him about the orc's attack.
"It was kinda scary at first but Quinn and I took care of it. And don't worry we didn't leave any survivors that could track us back here." Allie tried to assure him as he was starting to look worried.
Godwin sighed and shook his head. "It is true during these times Orcs are hard to avoid. Back in my adventuring days it was the same way." He put out his cigar and looked at her with a seriousness in his eyes. "But this is why I still believe you need companions with you so you don't travel alone. Just think if it had been more than three, then what would you have done?"
Allie rolled her eyes. "I knew you were going to go there. I don't need anybody else. The whole point of me going off is so I don't have to deal with people recognizing me all the time, asking if I'm gonna join the military like my parents. And besides I'm not completely alone, I have Quinn."
"You know what I mean. And your parents legacy isn't something you should be ashamed of or run away from." Godwin says, spreading jelly on a scone.
Allie squinted her eyes at him and looked away. "I don't care about their stupid legacy. I don't want to be compared to them. I want people to hear my name and think of me, not them. Is that too much to ask?"
"When you have yet to accomplish anything? Yes." Godwin says with a chuckle. "But don't worry, I'm sure you'll make your mark as a grand treasure hunter and adventurer someday! After all the reason your parents left you with me is so that you could have that choice. To be what you want and create your own legacy."
Allie smiled and looked over at him.
"Yeah, I guess you're right..hey, think I'll be even greater than you?" She asks with a raised eyebrow.
"Oh, well I don't know about that." He says teasingly as they both laugh. "Even still though, will you at least think about finding companions to travel with? To soothe my old heart? The heart of the hobbit who raised you? And fed you? And clothed you? And potty trained you? And.."
"Alright alright stop being so dramatic ." Allie said with a laugh. "I promise, I will THINK about it."
"That's all I ask." Said Godwin with a smile.
Allie yawned and stretched standing up and walked over to Godwin, kissing his head. "I'm gonna crash, goodnight. Thanks for the food." She said as she walked through the house and into a small bedroom. It was empty except for some clothes and a bed. She let her hair down before laying in the bed, looking up at the ceiling.
"It's not that I don't want friends of companions.." she rolls over on her side, tears starting to roll down her cheeks. "It's that nobody wants me.."

Allie awoke the next morning to the sounds of talking and laughing from the bar. She got up and put on a stitched tan shirt with black pants, which were her casual clothes, and grabbed her bag with the items from the day before. She walked through the house and opened the door to the bar, bumping into someone as she did.
The one she bumped into was a six foot five tall woman with six arms, three on each side of her. Three of her hands were holding pints of Ale while two others held food items. She wore the tavern waitress uniform, which was black shirt and skirt with green trim.
"Oh goodness! Good morning Allie!" The woman said smiling. "Any plans for an adventure today?"
"I don't think so Adira. I need to go to the smith's and pay him off what I owe him. I was also gonna bring a scroll to Deagol and see if he wants them." Allie says with a friendly smile.
A couple customers started to yell at the waitress and she rolled her eyes. "Well you have a good day and come see me before I leave if you can. You know I love hearing all your stories." Adira says before walking off to serve the customers.
Adira was from a sub-race of Amazonian women who were nicknamed the Montea. They were of course all female with tall statures and strong builds, each one with six arms. She had started working at The Salty Toad about a year ago though nobody knew how she had gotten there when the Montea lived on the other end of the world. But it didn't really matter seeing how she was the best, and only, waitress there.
"Would you like a drink before you go?" A smooth woman's voice says to Allie.
It was a woman behind the bar, filling pints of Ale. She was slender and elegant with shining black hair and deep red eyes, a real temptress. She also wore the tavern uniform but kept a good portion unbuttoned to show off her cleavage.
"Morning Charlotte, no thanks I think I'm good for now." Replied Allie.
She didn't really have a problem with Charlotte but she had a strange uneasy feeling about her. Like something wasn't quite right with her. Charlotte also had a strange attraction for Godwin, who was currently chatting with customers with a cigar in his mouth.
Allie didn't know much about her either, but she was good at drawing in male customers.
She walked on outside, looking around a bit before heading off towards the Smith's forge. The town was rather small, housing only about one hundred people or so. Most the business they got were from travelers or refugees who's homes had been destroyed by orcs.
The biggest buildings in town were, of course, The Salty Toad, the forge, and the market, though the market wasn't a building as much as it was several tents. The forge was ran by a dwarf named Delgrat Leadborn, who was an amazing craftsman. He mostly sold weapons and armor to anyone who could afford it, but he also dabbled in making small toys for children.
Allie arrived at the forge and looked around the inside. The place was full of axes, swords, shields, just all kinds of weapons. She walked into the back room that was off limits to most people, but she was the exception. Walking into the door the building opened up into a large forge. She could feel the heat of molten steel and hear the clashing of hammers.
There were other smiths that shared the forge, but Delgrat stood in the center of it all with the best equipment. He was dipping a sword in oil when she walked up behind him.
"So what you making?" She asked looking over his shoulder.
He glanced over his shoulder for a second before lifting the sword out of the oil and inspecting the blade. "It's called a Xiphos, a type of short sword. I hope you finally have the money you owe me."
"Of course I do, there's no way I'm gonna cheat my favorite Smith." She says taking some gold coins out of her bag.
Delgrat got a big grin on his face and turned around, lifting the blade up in the air. "Yes! Another perfect specimen!" He bellowed, followed by a loud hardy laugh.
He stood at around 4'6 with a long smoky grey and white beard and no hair on his head. He wore a pair of goggles over his eyes and had on no shirt. He also wore a leather apron to protect his chest.
"All your weapons are perfect specimens, Delgrat." Allie says with a smile.
"Well you're not wrong. So did you only come here to pay me or do you need something?" He says turning back around.
"Oh, yeah I actually do. I need a new machete, or I guess any sword would work. I lost my last one to a giant spider."
He turns around again, but this time pointing the new blade at Allie.
"That's the second one this month girlie, i don't appreciate you losing the blades I make you. Especially since I only charged you half price on them."
"I know I know and I'm sorry. But the first one wasn't my fault, I think Brownies stole it while I was camping."
"And tell me Miss Allie, why would Brownies want your machete?" Asked Delgrat lowering the sword.
Allie shrugged. "I don't know, Brownie stuff?"
Delgrat chuckled and shook his head. "Sure, Brownie stuff. But listen girlie I can't sell you weapons any cheaper right now. Or allow to you pay later. This Orc and human war is taking its toll on the resources we use. They're getting harder to come by."
Allie sighed. "I can understand that, in fact I ran into some orcs yesterday coming home. They chased Quinn and I into the woods and I had to, you know." She says sliding a finger across her neck.
"That so? You should've brought me their weapons I might have been able to sell them."
"Oh, um, thought never crossed my mind I guess." She says blushing and rubbing the back of her head. "But I am out of money and I need a proper weapon, isn't there anything I can do for you?"
Delgrat looks up and strokes his beard, what he usually does when deep in thought. He shakes his head looking at her.
"I'm sorry Girl, but I can't think of anything that needs doing. But I promise if anything comes up that I can use you for, I'll let you know. That good enough for you?" He says raising his singed eyebrows.
Allies nods and smiles. "Alright then, I appreciate anything you can do to help me."
He nods and turns back around to work on the sword as Allie leaves the forge heading for the market place. It was only about a half mile away so it didn't take long to get there. The market place was actually multiple tents set up in a line where different people sold different foods and objects of their trade. Lots of farmers, fishermen, and craftsmen that lived in town set up site here. The tent Allie enjoyed the most was the treasure tent, full of all sorts of discovered artifacts. This particular tent was ran by Deagol, a human who delighted in collecting rare and valuable items. None of his collection were for sale, but he was wealthy and anything you brought that tickled his fancy he would buy off you.
She arrived a few minutes later to the Treasure tent, which was smaller compared the others. It was also red instead of white. She was feeling enthusiastic about seeing his big collection and possibly selling her scrolls, until she seen what was in front of the tent. There stood a giant black boar with long tusks, one broken off part way. It stood at over six feet tall and was covered in scars. Though the boar itself looked scary it wasn't what Allie was now upset about. Rather she despised the one who she knew owned the giant pig.
She opened the tent and looked around at all the treasures surrounding her. Rare Armors, weapons, battle equipment in general were in one area. Another was full of magnificent shining stones and ores, fine jewelry that each had a story to tell of its previous owners. All books full of magic spells also lined the walls, along with others that were so old you couldn't make out the words on the covers. This wasn't even a quarter of Deagol's collection, but he liked to show off his most impressive possessions.
Allie's eyes finally fell on two men talking at a counter. The first one was a scrawny man with long wavy brown hair. He wore a light brown trench coat and circular glasses. This was Deagol. The other person was around twenty years old and bigger than Deagol, though that didn't take much. He had a handsome face with short cut red hair and wore leather brigandine armor. His name was Rohan, another treasure hunter and the owner of the boar that stood outside.
"Oh Allie! It's good to see you! Please come on in." Deagol says eagerly when he spots her. He runs over to her and moved her to the counter beside Rohan, who looked down at her.
"Do look what Rohan has brought me! What a truly beautiful piece!" Says Deagol holding up a sword of some sort. "It's a rapier, silver, and jewel encrusted! Surely belonging to someone of royal heritage!"
"Yeah, but where exactly did he get it?" Allie asks, giving Rohan a sour look.
"Oh I found it while on a hunt, it was piercing the skull of a creature. Quite a find if I do say so myself. But I'm curious to know what you have brought." Rohan says with a smirk.
Allie blushes with embarrassment as she pulls the scrolls out of her bag. She had been excited to see how Deagol would react, but how could it compare to a jewel encrusted sword?
To her surprise though Deagol's eyes lit up reading the scrolls. "This is quite intriguing indeed! The writing is a form of Elvish but I can read it. These are love letters!"
"Love letters?!" Allie and Rohan say simultaneously.
"Yes, love letters! They look to be about forty years old or so. The writer seems to be an elvish girl. But not just any elvish girl! She was a Princess!"
"A Princess?! You're kidding." Says Rohan.
"No no I am not one to kid about something like this. It was from Princess Aleesia, who I do know of. Seems she had a secret lover. The son of Duke Athelstan. Oh how juicy this find is!"
Rohan rolled his eyes. "Come on Deagol those scrolls aren't worth anything. It may not even be from the real Princess."
"Oh but researching to find out is the fun part don't you think? You have both brought me wonderful things and I will gladly pay you for both!" He says looking at Rohan and Allie.
Deagol disappeared behind the counter for a minute and pops back up, throwing them each a small bag of coins.
"For you Rohan, 23 pieces of silver! And for Allie, 15 pieces of silver. But if you'll excuse me, we are now officially closed!"
He jumps over the counter and pushes Rohan and Allie out the tent entrance, sealing it behind them.
After a moment of contemplating what just happened Allie's gaze went to Rohan.
"Ok, so where did you really get that sword? Kill a royal man and have your pig eat him?" She says with disgust.
"Of course not, I'm just really good at acquiring items that don't belong to me. Also I wouldn't be making such crude accusations if I were you." Rohan said as he climbed up on his boar's back.
"I've seen how you work. You know its people like you who have given us treasure hunters a bad name."
"Oh I disagree, its ones like me who are keeping treasure hunting alive. You're just stuck in the old ways. The world is changing, and so is the way we work. I suggest if you can't get with the times, then go join the military like your parents. Maybe then you'll actually be good at something." He scoff's,kicking the side of the boar for it to go.
Allie watched them leave, standing there both furious and upset at his words. She finally was about to start back home when she heard a voice behind her.
"Oh come on Alliegator, you gonna leave the market without visiting the family?"
She turned around and seen a young man holding a huge six foot tuna over his shoulder. He stood at about five foot seven and had curly black hair with honey colored eyes. He wore an alligator skin vest over a green shirt and brown pants.
"Oh hey Koda, um, what's with the fish?" She asked tilting her head slightly.
"This big thing? Wrestled it from a bear of course." He says with a half grin.
"Yeah uh huh, I bet you did." She says with a chuckle. "Let's go on to your tent and you can swoon me with all the thrilling details."
"Swoon you? Yeah you keep dreaming there Treasure girl." He says teasingly nudging her as he walked past.
She followed him and together they walked past the long line of tents in the market. Allie had known Kota for about two years now, and he was probably the closest friend she had to her age, him being only a year younger. He and his family were originally refugees, having their hometown destroyed by orcs and their father killed protecting the family. They had decided to stay in the town though and he now lived in town with his mother Helen and twin sister Amanda.
"Really though, where did you get that thing?" She says slightly laughing.
"Nothing special, got it from the fish monger. He ordered some tunics from us and since we finished early he gave us a bonus on our pay. Or rather he gave me a giant tuna."
"Impressive story there Mr. Bear Wrestler." She teases.
They walked into another open tent where a young lady was busy sowing what looked like a gown. The girl looked up from her work and gave a big smile seeing Allie walk through the door.
"Hi Allie, it's nice to see you." The girl says shyly. She was short, around five foot three, with short curly light brown hair that came to about her shoulders. She also had hazel colored eyes and wore a blue pastel colored dress.
"Long time no see huh Amanda," Allie says with a smile. Amanda was Koda's twin sister, though they looked and acted nothing alike.
"Hey short stack where did mom go?" Koda asks laying down the fish.
Amanda shrugs. "I'm not sure, but if it's the fish you're worried about don't worry, I got it."
She stands up and makes a rising gesture with her hand, purple aura surrounding it. The fish suddenly raises up into the air and separates into different precise cuts. When it was finally all cut up Amanda opens up her hand and the fish seemingly vanishes into thin air. Kota didn't seem impressed but Allie couldn't believe her eyes.
"How on earth did you do that?! And where did it go!" Allie asked, her eyes widened.
"I told you I was practicing the art of magic. It's actually a really simple spell anyone can use. It's basically any chore I know how to do myself can be done for me. But if I don't know how to do it.."
"Complete disaster! I still remember when you tried to use it to make a pair of shoes. Those things came to life and wouldn't stop kicking me!" Kota says.
Amanda blushes and rubs the back of her neck. "I admit that wasn't one of my finest moments. And as for the fish I sent it back to our house."
"Well either way i think it's amazing that you're learning magi...um Amanda what are you doing?" Allie asks as a tape measure wraps around her waist.
"Well I figured since you're here, I might as well use you to model my new dresses." She says as the tape measure wraps around Allie's arms.
"Oh, uh, yeah sure I guess." Allie says, though in her mind was contemplating her life decisions that led her to this moment.

Allie stayed with Amanda and Kota until dusk, trying on multiple different dresses. Even though she loathed having to wear them, she knew it made Amanda happy, so she tolerated it. Finally though Allie decided it was time to go and said her goodbyes, giving Amanda a hug.
"You really should come visit us more between adventures. I really enjoy your visits." Amanda says with a smile.
"I promise I'll try to, maybe you can have me model for you again." Allie replies.
"Don't even think of hugging me, you probably got magic germs or something on you from wearing those." Kota teases giving Allie a nudge.
She smiles and playfully punches his shoulder before heading out of the tent. By this time most of the tents in the marketplace had closed and the owners gone home, which made the whole place seem deserted.
She headed back to The Salty Toad, which she knew would be closed by this time as well. She walked in and seen the place was empty, except for Charlotte and Adira who were at a table with Godwin.
"Hello Allie! Did you have a good day?" Asked Adira raising one of her hands in greeting.
"Yeah it was fine, got everything taken care of that I needed to. So what are you two still doing here? You're usually out of here by now."
"Godwin invited us to stay and have some tea and..what did you call these, ladyfingers?" Asked Charlotte holding up a type of long pastry.
"What?! Godwin please don't tell me these are really women's fingers!" Adira shouted.
"No no no I promise you it's there's no appendages of any kind in it." Godwin says with a chuckle, tapping his cigar in an ashtray.
"He's telling the truth, real fingers taste nothing like this." Said Charlotte taking a bite out of the pastry.
All three gave Charlotte a look at her comment, though she simply shrugged.
"Well, anyhow, come sit with us Allie we have things to discuss and desserts to eat." Godwin says with a smile, motioning her over.
Allie sits down between Charlotte and Adira, taking a pastry for herself and a cup of tea.
"So, I hear you're looking for a new sword from Delgrat?" Asks Godwin.
"Um, yes, but how did you know about that?"
"Because he came here looking for you a few hours ago. He instructed me to tell you he has a job for you. As payment he will give you any weapon of your choosing."
Allie's eyes lit up and she jumped up out of her seat. "Great! I'll take it! I'll start tomorrow I'll..!"
Godwin raised his hand to silence her, a concerned look on his face. "You'll want to hear the mission before you accept it. He want you to delivery some armor to.."
"Deliver armor? That's no problem at all I'll just get Quinn and.."
"The Adventurers Guild in the city." Godwin finishes, talking over her.
At his words Allie's smile disappeared and she sat back down looking disappointed.
"Well you know on second thought a new weapon isn't really that important right?" Allie says twirling her fingers.
Godwin sighs and clears his throat. "I apologize but could you please excuse us ladies?" He asks looking at Adira and Charlotte.
"Yes of course. It's time I should be going anyway." Adira says standing up. She starts towards the door, gently resting a hand on Allie's shoulder to comfort her before heading out.
Allie watches her walk out of the pub and then turns to Charlotte, though she was now nowhere to be found.
"Hey where did Charlotte go?" Asks Allie.
"Never mind that now. My dear when are you going to overcome your fear of other treasure hunters? I'm afraid it's just not practical."
She fiddled with one of the pastries, avoiding eye contact with Godwin.
"I'm not scared of them, they just annoy me is all."
"Well that's good, because the Adeline I know has never been scared of anything. Well except bats of course." Says Godwin with a small grin.
"We will not speak of those! They are nothing but rats with wings! And carry diseases you know!" Allie shouts.
Godwin laughs and take another puff of his cigar.
"I understand why you wouldn't like them though. The new generation of treasure hunters are little more than thieves. You have more class in your pinky finger than most of them put together. But not everyone at the guild is like that, Andreas is a first class treasure hunter and adventure!"
"Andreas is older than you are! I mean yeah he's a nice guy but he's not the problem." Allie says looking down at the table.
"Allie, don't think I don't know what they say about you and how they treat you. It wasn't easy being a halfling adventurer for me, people thought it was more comedic than anything."
"People don't think I'm comedic! I swear everyone things I'm supposed to be just like Mom and dad, that just because I haven't found some grand treasure I'm no good! I'm so tired of it.." she says, tears starting to stream down her face.
Godwin puts out his cigar and stands up in his chair, holding his arms out. Allie seeing this walks over to him and rests her head on his shoulder while he embraces her in a hug.
"You have so much from your parents. Your mothers beauty and caring heart. Your fathers strong will and bravery. If anything, I believe you should embrace these, because they make up who you are."
"Then who am I?" She sniffles.
"You are whoever you want to be. Whether that be an adventurer, a soldier, or even a bartender. That's always been your choice, and don't ever let anyone take that choice away from you."





© 2018 Dreamer97


Author's Note

Dreamer97
Still in progress and still the rough draft but would like to hear thoughts. Will update it periodically.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on August 16, 2018
Last Updated on August 30, 2018
Tags: Fantasy, Adventure, Fiction

Author