How Slavery Affected Modern Sexuality

How Slavery Affected Modern Sexuality

A Story by A. Farris

Anthony Farris

11 May 2017

 

Research Question:

How did slavery shape society’s views of “normal” sexuality?

 

Abstract:

 

            Laws which constituted acceptable sexual acts and initiated the transgressing of humans into property facilitated the normalization of violence as a means of sexual gratification and regulation. This amalgamation of law and socio-sexual violence generated a hierarchy directly related to notions of racial and gender stratification. Specifically, the historical domination of heterosexual, White males beginning in indentured servant society has shaped modern notions of “normal” sexuality in America. What follows is an assessment of laws, personal narratives and popular perceptions concerning socio-sexuality and the power dynamics it fosters. That is to say, this essay is concerned with the seedlings, festerings, evolutions and enduring qualities of the power dynamics encompassing sexuality, particularly in their relation to race and gender.

            The origins “normalizing” American sexuality will be explored with regard to laws influenced by religion in the latter period of the colonies and early America. The constituting of a legal foundation will illuminate the development of socio-sexual stratification through the fission of power within the institutions of government, marriage and slavery being supported by historical, legal documents, modern discourses and first-hand accounts from individuals of varying genders, statuses and races. Using this information to construct the socio-sexual hierarchy, the dynamic between gender and race regarding violence and status will be related to the modern marginalization of minority groups based on these variables.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

Introduction

            American sexuality begins within the confines of indentured servitude during the colonial period. Laws which pervaded and facilitated the sexual atrocities of slavery evolved from regulations imposed upon servants concerning acceptable forms of sexuality. The specifics of these laws allotted power to the upper-class and validated notions of sexuality deemed permissible by the master. Moreover, encompassing sexuality within the sphere of legality amalgamated permissibility with economy by imposing disproportional penalties based on gender, race and sexual quality. Thus, Slave-America, having an established foundation, juxtaposed male sexual satisfaction with the normalization of violence against slaves, fostering notions of feminine submissiveness and inferiority. The legal bodies which allowed for the sexual abuse of slaves negatively impacted power dynamics within the institution of marriage by condescending the status of the mistress to that of female slaves as well as conventionalizing the objectification of women.

            Post-slave America adopted the sexual practices established on the plantation. However, without an abundance of slaves employed for the purposes of sexual satisfaction, wives became the subjects of unbridled male lust. Moreover, slavery provided the methodology by which the sex trafficking industry practices acquisition, submissiveness and abuse. The nature of capitalism, consumerism and postwar conformism necessitated the situating of homosexuality and heterosexuality as different, stratifying forms of sexual expression. Thus, contemporary notions of heteronormativity were adopted by the same social, political and economic institutions which perpetuated the oppression of Blacks. In response to this injustice, Queer individuals looked to and identified with the Black social movement, using its ideology to politicize Queer sexuality. This politicization propelled Queer sexuality to the forefront of societal discourse while simultaneously highlighting racial, gendered and sexual inequities which continue to affect contemporary society.    

 

Colonial America: The Status of Sexuality

            Colonial America began to regulate sexuality by enacting legal stipulations which inherently defined acceptable sexual practices, acting as archetypes for future regulations which marginalized deviants of society. The laws of 1642-1769 colonial Virginia defined acceptable sexuality on the basis of social hierarchy, spurning a correlation between status and sexuality (socio-sexuality). By enacting laws encompassing sexuality among the servant class and vilifying unconventional mating (miscegenation and homosexuality), the ensuing socio-sexual stratification favored the rich, White, heterosexual male. The punishment for any male servant who secretly married with any maid or woman of the servant class without consent from her master or mistress would be to finish serving out his time with his masters with the addition of a year for said offence. For the maid or woman servant married without proper consent, the time of her service would double. In colonial Virginia, the legal validity of marriage between two servants was contingent upon its officiation by the master. This was reflective of a society which had already situated the rights of humans as property based on socio-economic status. Moreover, the discrepancy of penalties for male and female servants highlights an inherent gender bias with regard to sexuality. That is, the uninhibited sexual practices of the male were perceived as a natural expectation. Conversely, the sexual transgressions of women were believed to be rooted in a basic moral or virtuous laps and, therefore, constituted harsher penalties. Additionally, the versatility and utility of the female servant (reproduction, sexual satisfaction, caretaker) bolstered their property value. Therefore, the disproportional penalties of undesignated marriage for male and female servants reflected a socio-economic system which amalgamated status and sexuality, viewed uncontrollable male lust as conventional and placed economic value of female servants over the male servant.

 

Colonial America: Sexual Virtue

            Colonial Virginia’s socio-sexual regulations had ties to the church which catered to the inherent hierarchy of the master-servant dynamic through notions of religious virtue and morality. Here too, the dichotomy concerning legal ramifications for sexual misconduct between masters and servants favored sexual displays rooted in masculinity and economic status. The laws of colonial Virginia necessitated that female servants bearing children by their master be sold to the church wardens of the parish “where she lived when she was brought to bed of such b*****d” for two years after her servitude. By contrast, “[t]he punishment of a reputed father of a b*****d child” was keeping the child, alleviating responsibility from the parish. The misogynistic orientation of colonial Virginia’s laws illustrates the socio-economic perceptions of a society which encouraged the licentiousness power structures of forced labor, vilifying consensual and nonconsensual sexuality among the lower-classes. However, the degrees of acceptable sexuality among the servant class varied depending on gender. According to these laws, the child of a male servant unable to accommodate for said child was kept by the parish until the father’s servitude expired.  Afterwards, the father would be required to make satisfaction to the parish. Unlike the female servant, unapproved male sexuality among the servant class was perceived as a purely economic and contractual transgression. The unsolicited promiscuity of female servants was perceived as a transgression of morality, warranting servitude under religious authority.

 

Colonial America: The Economy of Unconventional Sex

            Colonial Virginia didn’t solely distinguish acceptable sexual practices based on economic standing, but on the quality of the practice. According to colonial law, “[i]f any man lyeth with mankind as he lyeth with a woeman… they both shall surely be put to death.” The harshness of the penalty regarding homosexual practices is reflective of the socio-political atmosphere which would seep into early America. These pre-American values also found contention with miscegenation, inspiring colonial Virginia to decree any “English or other [free] white man or woman” who married ‘a negroe, mulatto, or Indian man or woman bound or free… banished and removed from this dominion forever” after three months of marriage, implicitly purporting the idea that sexual relations between Whites and servants was admonish-able but interracial unions desecrated the institution of marriage. Additionally, socio-sexual exile and fining proved to be a means by which upper-class citizens controlled sexuality. Those with significant economic mobility would have been able to afford fines and/ or dislocation. Moreover, individuals consistently having sex with servants were White, plantation owners who could afford slaves. By contrast, lower-class individuals and servants had no protection under the law and the punishments of transgression would have proved economically devastating.

            The socio-economic ramifications of interracial sexuality are shown through laws regulating sexuality between White women and people of color. Specifically, “if any English woman being free shall have a b*****d child by any negro or mulatto,” she must “pay the sume of fifteen pounds sterling… to the Church wardens of the parish” where the child is delivered. Being enacted in 1691, this law pinpointed women’s socio-economic position in colonial-America and used it as a means of controlling women and POC sexuality. Having little-to-no income, both groups relied on the dominant class (White, landowning males) for survival. Not only did this law take advantage of women financially, but it legally lowered their social status. Beyond payments to the parish, mothers of interracial, “b*****d,” children could be “taken into the possession” of the church wardens for five years. Thus, these laws illustrate a stark contrast between the acceptability of sexuality between White men, women and people of color. Moreover, they illustrate how the legal system intertwined sexuality with varying economic and social ramifications to control and promote sexual acts deemed appropriate or deviant.

 

Slave-America: Violence of Black Objects

            The racial and gendered stratification system which developed on slave plantations facilitated and encouraged acts of sexual violence as a methodology for maintaining oppressive family dynamics and normalizing the abuse of Black and female bodies. The slave master was situated at the plantation’s hierarchical apex, often taking full advantage of his legal-sexual rights with his slaves. Dr. Esther Hill Hawks recounts the sexual violence delivered to Susan Black, whose master first took notice of her “when she was about twelve yrs old.” According to Hawks, Black was summoned by her master, where upon “he caught hold of her, held her… stuffed her mouth [and] committed rape.” Afterwards, “[s]he was sick for three weeks” and, upon recovery, her master “used her as he liked.” This account of sexual violence on a young slave girl highlights the socio-sexual position of slaves in contrast to the master; the slave is a form of sexual property, the master may indulge in his desires at will. J. W. Lindsay wrote, “[t]here are men who will buy a sprightly, good looking girl, that they think will suit their fancy, and make use of them in that way. I knew a man by the name of Ben Kidd- a desperately mean man to his slaves- who had three or four slave women.” In being bought for the purpose of sexual satisfaction, slavery established an acceptability regarding the objectification of women and Black bodies. Additionally, Lindsay’s account illustrates the emasculation of the male slave by the master, who used female slaves “whenever he saw fit,” regardless of whether or not she had a husband. In Harriet Jacobs’ memoir, she stated that, at age fifteen, “[m]y master [Dr. Flint] began to whisper foul words in my ear,” saying, “I was his property; that I must be subject to his will in all things.” There were no laws protecting slaves from abuse by their masters; the slave was at their mercy in all matters of physicality and emotion. Jacobs echoed this sentiment, stating, “there is no shadow of law to protect [a slave girl] from insult, from violence, or even from death; all these are inflicted by fiends who bear the shape of men.” In cases of resistance, the master would resort to beating a slave into submission. Susan Black bore her master’s “abuses, ‘till one day, after exhausting all his powers to make her yield to his desires, he had her stripped naked, tied up and then, with his own hands, beat her ‘till the fever of passion had subsided.” Lindsay’s master “generally carried a white oak cane, one end very heavy, and if the women did not submit, he would make nothing of knocking them right down.” Sexual violence on the plantation primarily served as a means for the master to maintain submissiveness amongst slaves. The unrestrained use of slave women’s bodies served as a physical demonstration of their position as property. Moreover, the disregard for slave marriage emasculated slave men, simultaneously disenfranchising Black emotion. Ultimately, the rights which encompassed slave sexuality instilled a sense of entitled satisfaction which carried over into the institution of marriage.

 

Slave-America: The Scorned Mistress

            Due to the master’s open promiscuity, slave women often found themselves in direct conflict with the mistress whose socio-sexual position was little better than the slave’s in the plantation hierarchy. It was an open-secret that masters took sexual advantage of their slaves at leisure. However, discretion was the law of the land. Nell Irvin Painter discussed Black’s mistress, Gertrude Thomas, who, “saw [her]self in competition for the attention of [her] husband whose black partners were ideal women: Slave women had to come when summoned and were conceded no will of their own.” Harriet Jacobs criticized the mistresses, “who ought to protect the helpless victim” but “[had] no other feelings towards [a victimized slave girl] but those of jealousy and rage,” being “objects of her constant suspicion and malevolence.” Thus, the institutions of slavery and marriage were constructed to favor the promiscuity of the rich, White male while simultaneously reducing Blacks and women to sexual objects. Painter argued that “[p]roslavery apologists often insisted that the maintenance of slavery depended on the preservation of patriarchy within white families, arguing that white women, especially rich women, must remain in their places and be submissive to their fathers and husbands so that slaves would not conceive notions of equality.” In 1873, Victoria Woodull criticized the institution of marriage, asserting that “‘marriage licenses sexuality’… and the horrors that are practiced under this license are simply demoniacal; almost too horrible to be even thought of without shuddering.” She further argued that the “safeguards to virtue and morality” under the institution of marriage “made almost every wife a prostitute and every husband a sexual monster.” That is to say, the prevailing ideology of marriage prioritized the satisfaction of the husband, necessitating subservience of the wife for the operation of the institution. Jacobs described the mechanics of the marriage dynamic after the confessing of her master’s sexual abuses to her mistress (Gertrude Thomas) and seeing tears come to her eyes. However, Jacobs “was soon convinced that her emotions arose from anger and wounded pride. She felt that her marriage vows were desecrated, her dignity insulted; but she had no compassion for the poor victim of her husband’s perfidy.” Gertrude Thomas “realized and recorded with tortuous indirection a central fact of her emotional life: that female slaves and female slave holders were in the same sexual marketplace and that in this competition, free women circulated at a discount due to the ready availability of women who could be forced to obey.” That is to say, the abundance of slave women offered a plethora of opportunities for the sexual satisfaction of the master, simultaneously juxtapositioning the mistress and the female slave as sexual commodities. However, the mistress perceived the superior value of the slave women as a byproduct of their social position.  Neither the mistress’s “economic or educational advantages nor her social status protected her from what [they] saw as sexual competition from inferior women,” knowing that “white men saw women- whether slave or free, wealthy or impoverished, cultured or untutored, black or white- as interchangeable.” Regarding this objectification, Jacobs lamented, “[y]ou never knew what it is to be a slave; to be entirely unprotected by law or custom; to have the laws reduce you to the conditions of a chattel, entirely subject to the will of another.”

            By molding socio-sexuality within the institutions of slavery and marriage, masters (White males) developed justifications for the uninhibited fulfilment of sexual desires. In coupling acceptable sexual desire with violence, White males and husbands internalized sexual superiority and entitlement. By contrast, the violent yieldings of mistresses and slaves spurned an internalization of sexual submissiveness and objectification. White women, in particular, perceived their condescending to the same socio-sexual level as slaves within the plantation hierarchy despite their supposed racial and economic superiority. Moreover, female slaves saw themselves develop as sexual commodities with the ability to produce more slaves, care after children and provide unlimited sexual relief. Though strapping male slaves were used to produce ideal physical characteristics in new slaves, their masculinity fostered contention within the plantation hierarchy. This brute force was ultimately suppressed through emasculation by abusing their female partners and family, reducing them to the status of property and demonstrating to the male slave that he owned and controlled nothing.  

 

Post-Slavery: Hand-Raised Beasts

            Power dynamics developed within the institutions of slavery, marriage and family led to a post-slavery society dominated by the rich, White men who had erected the prevailing ideology of socio-sexual superiority. Having been established and sustained for the purposes of stabilizing the institution of slavery, the ideology of female inferiority within the institution of marriage necessitated the succumbing of the wife to the will of her husband. Moreover, masculine expectations and entitlement within the institutions of family and marriage fostered a concern for the sexual virtues of women. Ezra Heywood criticized these expectations, stating: “[t]he popular idea of sexual purity, (freedom from fornication or adultery, abstinence from sexual intercourse before marriage, and fidelity to its exclusive vows afterwards), rests on intrusive laws, made and sustained by men… whose better judgement bows to Custom that stifles the cries of affection and ignores the reeking licentiousness of marriage beds.” This reeking licentiousness was relayed through Sadie Magoon, who described the rapid decline of a woman’s health due to the incessant sexual demands of her husband, causing her to be “bedridden and placed under a nurse’s care.” However, “when her day nurse left she was at the total mercy of her husband… who continued to gratify his desires.” Thus, the conventions which objectified the wife as a means of sexual gratification for the unbridled desires of the husband persevered through slave-society into post-slavery-society.

            Based upon traditional plantation hierarchies which allowed for the sexual domination of slave women and mistresses, attention turned towards the developing sex traffic industry in the early twentieth century. In 1911, a government agent from the U.S. immigration commission reported on the social interactions between sex traffickers. Specifically, the agent was baffled as to how these men could “talk tenderly with reference to the fortunes or misfortunes of their mothers or relatives” and “send polite greetings to one another and to their friends” while discussing “the characteristics of the women in question with the same coolness with which they would name the good points of a horse or a blooded dog which they had for sale.” The sex traffic industry is deeply rooted in values and ideals developed on plantations. Specifically, it reduces woman (and people, in general) to objects of sexual gratification through acts of deceptions, isolation and violence, instilling the sexual satisfactions of customers as the victims’ main prerogative (slave satisfying the master).

 

Relating Non-Heteronormative Sexuality to Racial Injustice

            The twentieth century’s differentiating and labeling of homosexuality as a perversion “simultaneously delimited a sex norm- the new heterosexuality.” In homosexuality assuming its new role as the sexual deviant, the majority conformed to “a new sex ethic, one that was congruent with the pursuit of consumer happiness and capitalist profit.” This new facet in sexual-economic amalgamation was caused by changing perceptions of the family (and body) from producers to consumers. Having been previously perceived as “an instrument primarily of work, the human body was integrated into a new economy, and began more commonly to be perceived as a means of consumption and pleasure.” It was Freud’s “arbitrary, authoritarian assertion” of heterosexuality as “‘maturity’” which displaced the sexual symbiosis of heterosexuality and homosexuality. His labeling of homosexuality as a fixation of immaturity degraded its status from variant of sexual equanimity to an augmentation. Thus, heterosexuality assumed its contemporary role of the master-sex by the same ideology which had purported the fallacious master-race. Moreover, this normalization of heterosexuality “proclaimed a new heterosexual separatism- an erotic apartheid that forcefully segregated the sex normal from the sex perverts”

            Having been spurned by mainstream society, the sexually oppressed began to equate their plight for sexual autonomy with Blacks during the Civil Rights movement. Those labeled by society as deviant saw Black culture and the politicization of race as an effective means of uniting, addressing and reforming prevailing ideologies concerning Queer sexuality by relating sexual injustice with racial injustice. This relation was fortified through the critical analyses of institutions which perpetuated racial and sexual oppression. The socio-political atmosphere surrounding the gay community operated with an animosity found in the Black-socio-political dynamic. Circa 1950-1975, gays were objects of “verbal abuse, physical attacks, [and] even murder.” Like Blacks, they found themselves subject to social institutions’ inherent marginalizations, particularly those rooted in capitalism, emphasizing “[t]he sexual repression which pervade[s] the efficiency-oriented workplace… divid[ing] men and especially isolate[ing] gays.” The capitalist institution’s enterprise regarding the Queer individual found itself akin to that of the slave on the plantation; the pervading oppression of the deviant (non-conformist, lower strata, etc.) through isolation and vulnerability. This psychological subjugation was employed to alienate gay people “not only from each other but from themselves. Gay people [were] forced to question their very identities, stifle in themselves feelings of love and affection for members of the same sex, and remain ‘in the closet,’ concealing their full gaysexuality.” Indeed, this reflects the methodology behind slave despotism, the master’s prerogative to ensure the slave recognizes their status as slave and the implications surrounding that status. By relation, the institutions surrounding homosexual/ Queer life sought to differentiate the deviant individual from heteronormative society by highlighting their nonconformist position. In the work force, gays had “almost no security because of sex discrimination” and were, often, not considered suitable applicants. Religion played a pivotal role in this alienation; by “[r]egarding homosexuality as unnatural, orthodox religion infuse[d] many gays with a profound sense of guilt.”  Much like the employment of religious justifications for the caste system and racial stratification, religion was used to vilify homosexuals as augmentations of heteronormative sexuality.

            It was homosexuality’s confrontation with postwar conformism which propelled prejudices concerning sexuality and race to the forefront of societal discourse. In recollecting his experience as a gay man during the postwar era, Jeffrey Escoffier asserted that “[c]ritical writing on the psychological and sociological consequences of conformism served as an important bridge to the discovery of the gay social world, Postwar conformism emphasized the norm and stigmatized the deviant- for instance, the homosexual.”  Having been alienated from conformist society, individuals like Escoffier looked to Black activists and theorists as a means of politicizing and assimilating homosexuality with race. Indeed, Escoffier asserts that Norman Mailer’s “vision of the pivotal role of black culture and its sexual radicalism encouraged [him] to look to the black experience for lessons relevant to [his] situation as a homosexual.” By exploring homosexuality and Black politics in American literature, Escoffier stated: “I began to think of myself as part of a minority- and the struggles of African Americans seemed linked to my own.”

            As homosexuality organized itself into a political-minority movement, gay individuals began to critically deconstruct and attack oppressive social institutions using Black methodology. In one newspaper primarily focused on “Gaysexuality [and] Oppression,” the author asserts that “[t]he sexual repression which pervades the efficiency-oriented workplace… divides men and especially isolates gays. The nuclear family plays a central role in fostering sexual misery, instilling in children the bourgeois morality of class society, male supremacist attitudes, and anti-homosexual fears… Regarding homosexuality as unnatural, orthodox religion infuses many gays with a profound sense of guilt.” Here, the outline of gay oppression directly parallels that of slave domination. The institution which necessitated the slave condescends the homosexual individual; that is, the prospect of capitalist economy inherently suppresses the socially deviant. This economy bleeds over into the institution of marriage and family which, during slavery, instilled subjugation of the wife and slave while simultaneously reducing them to sexual objects. Regarding its relationship with homosexuality, society’s perceptions of traditional marriage and family (circulated by the dominant, White male) necessitates heteronormativity, reducing the morality and productivity of the individual to a determination of sexual preference. Finally, religion, notoriously dominated and oriented by masculinity, supports this esoteric conformity through pseudo-morality and virtue. Indeed, even individuals within the nonconformist socio-sexual community felt a hierarchical oppressiveness in representation and acceptance. Ellen Roberts explored this in her article, “Black Lesbian,” claiming, “little if anything at all has been written on the Black Lesbian” who “is, in effect, dealing with two aspects of discrimination- racial and sexual.” Roberts goes on to write that “[a]side from the usual uptight heterosexual derision and oppression directed towards gay women, the Black Lesbian must also deal with static from her Black brothers, and sometimes her white sisters. It is a fact that on numerous occasions, Black gay women have been ignored or harassed by white women who frequent gay bars on the East Side. It is a fact that Black women are often refused admission to bars or dance clubs unless they have identification or are accompanied by a white friend.” Thus, queer sexuality became subject to the same racial and gendered hierarchies which continue to plague its socio-political mobility.

 

 

Conclusion

            In contemporary society, heteronormativity and its associated oppression are juxtapositioned or encompassed by the American patriarchy. Specifically, the tradition of licensing sexuality based on socio-economic standing has resulted in a society whose ideals are governed by masculine/ misogynistic heteronormative desires within the narrow frame of capitalism. In his article, “America Is Still a Patriarchy”, Philip Cohen addresses this issue, describing patriarchal America as “a systemic characteristic that combines dynamics at the level of the family, the economy, the culture and the political arena.” Of the family, Cohen address-es the custom which dictates that the wife take on the husband’s name after marriage, arguing that it perpetuates male-dominance. Indeed, only 29.5% of women in 2014 kept their maiden name after marriage. While seemingly irrelevant, during the 1970s, the rights of women to vote, do banking and get a passport were jeopardized in maintaining their maiden name. Thus, historical regulations surrounding the institution of marriage continue to resonate within contemporary culture.

            The promotion of violence established as a justifiable means of satisfaction during slavery led to patriarchal notions of sexual entitlement. The statistics surrounding modern sexual violence speak for themselves: As of 1998, 1 in 6 women “have experienced attempted or completed rape.” In 2010, the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey reported that approximately 1 in 6 women, or 16.9% of women, had “experienced sexual violence other than rape by an intimate partner in her lifetime.” 10.7% of women have been stalked by an intimate partner in their lifetime. In 1999, 76% of female homicide victims had been stalked by their killer, 54% of them had reported their stalker to the police. Moreover, 89% of victims who had been physically abused had also been stalked by their abuser before being murdered. This isn’t a heterosexual issue as sexual violence greatly affects the LGBT community. In 2010, the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey reported that 44% of lesbian women and 61% of bisexual women (as opposed to the 35% of heterosexual women) had been raped, victims of domestic violence and/ or stalked by an intimate partner. 26% of gay men and 37% of bisexual men had also experienced rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner. Interestingly enough, the percentage of heterosexual men in this category was 29%. Moreover, male victims of rape and unwanted sexual advances (not physical) reported mostly male attackers. Additionally, almost half of their stalkers were men. However, other forms of violence against males were predominantly performed by females.

            The socio-political and economic climate which oppressed Blacks, women and gays is becoming a major topic in societal discourse concerning transgender individuals. 2016 saw the highest record of transgender deaths in the United States as a result of violence, 22. The Human Rights Campaign addressed this issue, asserting that “[w]hile the details of these cases differ, it is clear that fatal violence disproportionately affects transgender women of color, and that the intersections of racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia conspire to deprive them of employment, housing, healthcare and other necessities, barriers that make them vulnerable.” In his article, “The Queers Left Behind: How LGBT Assimilation Is Hurting Our Community’s Most Vulnerable,” Colin Walmsley discusses the origins of these barriers and the fallaciousness surrounding them, arguing that, by making marriage equality the “modern cornerstone of the gay rights movement,” it asserted that the Queer community had “reached an important milestone, transcending basic issues of health, safety, economic security and social stability. However, he dismantles this argument, stating:

            “[o]ver 20 percent of all LGBT youth are homeless, and 40 percent of all homeless youth             are LGBT. 58 percent of queer homeless youth have been sexually assaulted64 percent         of transgender people make less than $25,000 per year41 percent of transgender people and 62 percent of queer homeless youth have attempted suicide. And 10           transgender women have been murdered in the U.S. so far this year (2016).”

 

By focusing on the fight for gay marriage, Walmsley argues that “other less marketable LGBT issues were largely forgotten. The number of queer youths on the streets rose. Violence against transgender people increased.”

            Beyond statistics, the individual is accosted by daily injustices like the Brock Turner case and Donald Trump’s existence. To a large degree, American society has internalized notions of egregious male sexuality and heteronormative oppression. Moreover, the individual is incessantly berated with a conformity which proports the heteronormativity, racial integrity, gender performances of capitalism. This heteronormativity is the afflatus which boycotted the new “Beauty and the Beast” for having a gay character. This racial integrity was the backlash for Old Navy’s ad featuring an interracial family. This emphasis of gendered performance was the boycotting of Target for implementing a gender-neutral bathroom policy. Even within the LGBT/ Queer community, POC still seek the representation and acceptance their white peers have been afforded in and outside of the community. Additionally, bi-sexual and asexual individuals, being rejected by heterosexual culture, also feel disenfranchised by their queer counterparts for their fluidity and indolence, respectively. Thus, in amalgamating sex, economy and gender, the ideology which established racial hierarchies normalized stratification among members of various communities.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2017 A. Farris


Author's Note

A. Farris
It's an introductory essay. Had to delete the bib. because the site couldn't handle all the links. If you'd like to see my sources for academic or research purposes I can email them.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
Added on July 26, 2017
Last Updated on July 26, 2017
Tags: slavery, history, sexuality, gender, race, class, academic

Author

A. Farris
A. Farris

Las Vegas, NV



About
I share very little of my work more..