Deceitful Thanksgiving (Edit)

Deceitful Thanksgiving (Edit)

A Poem by Celie Rose
"

Do you really understand what Thanksgiving means?

"
Deceitful Thanksgiving


As I stand on the mountain high,
I glance eastward where the sky begins to cry.
The sunset is brilliant with its effervescent beams.
A silhouette of innocent souls, fallen teardrops
of the forgotten saturate the ground is seen.
My heart is not at peace but bequeathed.

Carefully, I lay my ceremonial bracelets 
and beads in its proper place.
Eyes well up and tears begin to bellow down my face
and there is no escape.
A great day of mourning has come again.
Every fourth Thursday in the month of November, 
ancestors of the indigenous are remembered. 

Thanksgiving is no celebration 
between the native inhabitants,
and the European settlers.
It's a celebration of slaughter and genocide millions.
Native people of the land were slaughtered, 
wiped out and killed.
There was no intention of living peacefully together.

Step on feet and ruffle guilty feathers.
Unleash the truth and discuss this great slaughter together?
Nowadays, most raise their glasses to give thanks on this day.
Some blind to the brutal truth, others just don't care.

European settlers knew what they were doing;
when they were pursuing.
Reminiscing and boasting about the monstrosities they shared.
The sweet juicy lies of deceit were ensnared.
Concocting a Sugar-coated recount of history that did dare.
The facts of what happened that were whitewashed,
unjustly resolved.

Their mentality has always been to take, take, take
conquer, destroy and kill, kill, kill!
The true meaning of Thanksgiving needs to be rewritten
in our history books to distill.

European settlers killed 56 million indigenous people
over about 100 years; relentless murderers,
profoundly immoral, wicked, and evil to the core
to the ethnicity of another man's skin color.
You called the natives savages.
Pilgrims regarded the native people as lesser humans.


European settlers were taught by native people to survive.
They taught them how to grow food, fish and trade with 
other natives. In return the takeover began. 
Europeans seized their land, enslaved them,
and executed the native people at hand.

The natives were slaughtered like dogs,
men, women and children, cut down and flogged.
A massacre with great devastation did occur.
entire Native American villages were destroyed,
and their way of life disturbed.

Europeans would applaud and celebrate, 
each time a native village was effaced.
These victories were Thanksgiving to them to defeat and erase.
They desecrated native American graves, such a disgrace.
Stole food, and decimated the population with disease.
Brought smallpox, measles and flu into the land to succeed.
 
Do you really understand what you're celebrating?

© 2023 Celie Rose


Author's Note

Celie Rose
I would appreciate comments and reviews.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Celie Rose,

You have set to pen of page a most poignant, relevant, and truthful presentation of the historical facts of our American Thanksgiving Day, day that is truly based upon shameful acts of men who opted to believe that God had/has, divinely called the "White-Man to civilize the world occupy and possess this North American Continent, and lead all the world to Salvation via the White-Man's conquering hand of discrimination, occupation, degradation, deprivation, starvation, theft, murder, slaughter, and deceit, all in the name of righteousness, God, Country, King, Queen, President, Liberty and Freedom, as the greatest pile of horse manure ever conceived by men-as-Man laying claim to have conversed and received instructions from a God who gave consent and license to such inhumane acts of DE-Humanized excuses for Human Beings stupidly and arrogantly feigning to represent a most Divine Being.

A powerful write that holds true to this day, as history which the White-Man would rather not discuss, as every one now finds it convenient to claim to have some form of Indian ancestry or bloodline. Poppycock!

Good job! You caused to me to remember a piece that I had written back in 2014, titled, Thanksgiving Day From A Native American Perspective. I just posted it, in belated fashion, thanks to you.

Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn de Graham

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I am speechless, this is a real thing that has happened over and over again, I am not a Native American, but I am a quarter Maori. I know how it feels to have your language taken, your people slaughtered, your beliefs shattered. I feel the effect that this left on my ancestors every day and bear their grief on my shoulders. Whakawhetai mai.


Posted 1 Month Ago


This is so beautiful!
It's true...society as a whole lives in "today" and have little appreciation for the generations before us.

Posted 3 Months Ago


Celie Rose,

You have set to pen of page a most poignant, relevant, and truthful presentation of the historical facts of our American Thanksgiving Day, day that is truly based upon shameful acts of men who opted to believe that God had/has, divinely called the "White-Man to civilize the world occupy and possess this North American Continent, and lead all the world to Salvation via the White-Man's conquering hand of discrimination, occupation, degradation, deprivation, starvation, theft, murder, slaughter, and deceit, all in the name of righteousness, God, Country, King, Queen, President, Liberty and Freedom, as the greatest pile of horse manure ever conceived by men-as-Man laying claim to have conversed and received instructions from a God who gave consent and license to such inhumane acts of DE-Humanized excuses for Human Beings stupidly and arrogantly feigning to represent a most Divine Being.

A powerful write that holds true to this day, as history which the White-Man would rather not discuss, as every one now finds it convenient to claim to have some form of Indian ancestry or bloodline. Poppycock!

Good job! You caused to me to remember a piece that I had written back in 2014, titled, Thanksgiving Day From A Native American Perspective. I just posted it, in belated fashion, thanks to you.

Marvin Thomas Cox-Flynn de Graham

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thanksgiving, a controversial holiday. The history often overlooked by the festivities. You've highlighted some very important historical facts. Makes one take the time to reflect. Very well expressed here.

Posted 5 Months Ago


Genocide is desperately dreary, and I don't know many other cultures that celebrate the death of millions. It's sad to think of the lives lost and the possibilities that could have flourished if only Europeans tried to coexist. Just goes to show that today's world hasn't really learned from the past.

With love,

Matthew

Posted 6 Months Ago


Celie Rose

6 Months Ago

Thank you very much Matthew

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 29, 2023
Last Updated on November 18, 2023
Tags: genocide

Author

Celie Rose
Celie Rose

Syracuse, NY



About
I am Celie Rose. I am a novice writer. My reason for being here is to learn. I want to write poetry, short stories, and, eventually, novels and screenplays. Put my ideas down in writing and be creativ.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..