To love and to lose

To love and to lose

A Story by Floophey

I never meant to hurt you, dear, believe me with all our heart. There are no excuses just this feeling and please know it’s not your fault that a beautiful flower shines brighter than a plain shadow. Equilibrium.

A boy of ten and a friend of age played in that good night. We rose higher than God before a plunging fall to this meat. Your first gift unto me, a sonnet of rubies. They were almost as pretty as you. I remember.

I had thought that life was perfect. You had all the food you could eat and I was simply happy to see you, happy. Then she came. She, this ghostly girl of ten without a shadow dances towards me like a marionette. My breath leaves us and we watch it as it flies away.

My Lilly was picked from a whirlpool of light; in our eyes she shines the brightest. She dispels shadows and creates them anew while I bathe in crystal blue eyes where starfish sleep beneath the waves.

You were cast out from my world. I am so sorry my sister, my brother, my me. We both knew how lovely she was but only I forgot you and it is here that I beg your forgiveness.

Lovers never last you once told me. I remember.
She lasted a few years. Good ones. Together we walked across the sand, we sang songs and planted lilies behind the door. All too soon it was over, but not soon enough.

“A shadow entered the room on the coldest night. It crept past sleeping witches and love to its place on the wall. ‘They were so pure’, he thought, ‘so silent’. He slid over crack and crevice to Her and stroked her cheek. His desire now burning brighter than He ever said She did. The shadows took her. Sliding its jaws over her skin. Shadows clawed her as they rocked back and forth in a terrible embrace”

I woke to find my Lilly now red. The first gift pouring through my fingers yet I could not catch them all. I wept at the waste, her waxen skin now mottled grey. Her flame no more. I wept for my flower as she sleeps in my arms.

Now you and I are together again. I have never been so happy.

© 2016 Floophey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well written. The metaphors made sense, unlike a few I have heard. I am just glad I found this in the fiction genre because the last two lines sounded like the end of a suicide note. Anyways, the way you wrote was just amazing! The way you described Lilly, how you never said there was blood but rather stated she was red. (I do not know if that was what you were going for, but that is how I interpreted it.) But the one thing I could not figure out is the person, possibly the character's wife, you mentioned at the beginning. Is the character hurting her by killing himself, and if so, you called her a 'plain shadow', as well as mentioning a shadow entering the room Lilly slept in the night she died(?). You did mention the shadow was a 'he', though. I hope I interpreted this right, and that this review was helpful. Keep writing! I'd love to see more of it.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 15, 2016
Last Updated on August 17, 2016

Author

Floophey
Floophey

Cape Town, South Africa



About
I am trying to get into writing. more..

Writing