Christmas Season Rushing In

Christmas Season Rushing In

A Story by Glenda M. Carter

Christmas Season Rushing In by Glenda M. Carter

 

     As I do my normal work activities at The Record-Courier I am made aware that the Christmas season seems to be arriving early this year. I've also seen many store displays that are already filled with the colorful celebratory articles that symbolize the season. I'm not sure it's because the materialistic world wants extra shopping days to boost sales or if we are perhaps ready for a reason to celebrate the true meaning of the season.

The celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ is in itself reason to stop and reflect on the good of life by those who know Him.

     If you keep up on the national news you know the predicament the world is in with wars, natural disasters, great loss and grief issues and the many illnesses we may be experiencing as individuals.

     In my mind it stands to reason that it would be a good thing to think about what I might buy for the people I love. I also think of the 'home spun' gifts. The 'made by hand' personal touch. The gifts that only 'you' can give whether it be a savored loaf of zucchini bread made by your mother's hands or a carved wood trinket carved by your father's hands or a beautiful rock and story, picked up by your aunt on one of her travel excursions.

     It is opportunity to think of others in a spirit of giving, hope and love, providing we do not stress ourselves out with wanting to buy the 'right' gift. It is also a time that many of us humans over extend ourselves as we try to do the 'good' and 'right' things.

So as the season rolls in and we give thought to the good things we want to do shall we remember that a gift of the heart is an awesome way to celebrate.

     I'm going to think that the excitement and reason we seem to be rushing into the Christmas season is not because of the materialistic world wanting to make a buck, but in fact we, as a society, long to think about hope, love and a power greater than our own.

     I'm not sure what our office staff will do this year, but I vote for the potluck and BBQ in a home atmosphere where we take the time to laugh and visit and don't bother to  play the 'elephant gift exchange game.' It is simply enough to enjoy your company and friendship.

     In this way I honor the gift of the birth of Christ.   10/07

© 2008 Glenda M. Carter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sadly, i think Western society has fallen into the trap of commercialism and forget the reasoning behind the actual Holiday. Your short story showcases this all too sad reality. Thank you for sharing this short story with us.

Therisa

Posted 16 Years Ago


great story

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2008
Last Updated on February 12, 2008

Author

Glenda M. Carter
Glenda M. Carter

North Powder, OR



About
I am the author of Sacred Shadow, Sacred Ground: A Vietnam War Widow's Journey Through Unresolved Grief. I am a photographer/writer/artist. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..