What is Hyp?

What is Hyp?

A Poem by G Garcia
"

Wherein I mash up the dictionary with my emotional state.

"

hyp·no·sis

/hɪpˈnoʊsɪs/  [hip-noh-sis] "noun

1. An artificially induced trance state resembling sleep, characterized by heightened susceptibility to suggestion.

      See also: autohypnosis - an artificially induced state of relaxation and concentration in which deeper parts of the mind become more accessible: used clinically to reduce reaction to pain, to encourage free association, or to reveal hidden truths that might otherwise remain secreted away in the recesses of a cowardly mind.

2. The gentle sway of a palm tree in a great diorama in which my heart is happily trapped, cunningly wrapped in the warm glow of a Tyger burning bright, lighting falsely deepest night, roaring in time with plywood waves of deep india blue. Do not wake me, on pain of death.

3. The hidden universe inside a lie told either in earnest or in jest, and nevertheless cradled with zeal and nurtured with sweet denial.

      See also: mes·mer·ism ˈmɛzməˌrɪzəm, ˈmɛs-/ [mez-muh-riz-uhm, mes-] "noun. Hypnosis as induced, according to F. A. Mesmer, through animal magnetism.

 

hy·po·der·mic

/haɪpəˈdɜrmɪk/  [hahy-puh-dur-mik] "adjective

1. Characterized by the introduction of medicine or drugs under the skin: hypodermic injection.

2.pertaining to parts under the skin.

3. Stimulating; energizing; engaging pleasure centers (see hypothalamus); thieving time.

4. Slipped into the fabric of my being, by accident or subterfuge, via a vein or artery, and consequently penetrating my heart thus and soul and thus paralyzing my sense of reason and thus rendering me defenseless against my own mind.

 

hy·per·bo·le

/haɪˈpɜrbəli/   [hahy-pur-buh-lee]"noun

1.Obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2.An extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

3. Shaped by countless moments that no longer exist.    

      See also: pity, regret.

 

hy·poc·ri·sy

/hɪˈp'krəsi/ [hi-pok-ruh-see] "noun

1. A pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

2. A pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.

3. Characterized by the inability to overcome one’s social norms and experiential biases.

4. Standing in a line, wondering how and why what is, is.

      See also: this poem.

 

Hy·pe·ri·on

/haɪˈpɪəriən/  [hahy-peer-ee-uhn] "noun

1. Astronomy. A natural satellite of the planet Saturn.

2. Classical Mythology. A Titan, the father of Helios, Selene, and Eos. He was also the lord of light, and the titan of the east. He was the son of Gaia (the physical incarnation of Earth) and Uranus (literally meaning 'the Sky'), and was referred to in early mythological writings as Helios Hyperion. God of Watchfulness and Wisdom.

3. In the morning, forgetfulness is forgivable, forgiveness unforgettable.

4. Associated with benevolence, the rare bravery associated with speaking one’s heart despite one’s mind, aging and its perils, and flocking lawn flamingoes.

5. That liminal moment between night and dawn, when the universe is completely hushed and I ignore greater clarity in favor of a flash of symbiosis and a fleeting, flickering flirtation with the firmament.    

      See also: Free fall, Jeff Tweedy, the murmuration of starlings, the whistle of a kettle, slings, arrows, Lewis Carroll.

© 2013 G Garcia


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
Added on May 16, 2011
Last Updated on July 17, 2013

Author

G Garcia
G Garcia

Hartford, CT



About
Greg Garcia grew up with three channels of television (what kid counted PBS, really?). He is an English teacher, a professional musician, a professional graphic designer, and a father of two wily girl.. more..

Writing
A Waltz A Waltz

A Story by G Garcia