BEHIND THE MIRRORS OF YOUR EYES

BEHIND THE MIRRORS OF YOUR EYES

A Story by Prime
"

Both Stella and Ryan fell for each other. Yet, both of them should face a trial that will be dealing with one’s life. Will your love stay longer and stronger if you know he’ll be gone later?

"

BEHIND THE MIRRORS OF YOUR EYES


Glenda seems busy waking Stella and Stephen up.

Glenda:      Stella, Stephen! Wake up! It’s not good to come late in school on the first day of classes.

Stephen:    Ma, don’t rush it. It’s so early. And besides, the school is just near by the community.

Stella:         Yeah, don’t panic ma. Relax! (Wipes her eyes with her hands)

Glenda:      (sighs) I just don’t want you to be late for the first day of classes. Anyways your breakfast was          prepared at the table.

            Stella and Stephen don’t have a choice but to stand up and prepare themselves for school. After the preparation, they went to school.

            As they arrived, they entered the gate and walked by the classrooms while other students are having fun. Some read books; and some played with their other classmates.

Stella:         (sighs) just where is our classroom?

Stephen:     As far as I know, and you know. We are under the advisory of a teacher.

Stella:         (laughs) Quit joking. Why don’t we just ask other student here?

            Stephen lifted his shoulders and they turned back. Unexpectedly, they bumped with the school’s heart rob and his best friend. Stella’s things fell so she just ignored them and silently picked up her things.

Stephen:     OMG!!! Boys boys boys! It seems like my blood would dry!

            Being the one to bump with Stella, Ryan helped her pick up her things and apologized.

Ryan:          (helps Stella pick her things up) sorry miss. Anyways, let me help you.
Stella:         Don’t bother.  (Nods her head and continues to pick her things up)

Ryan:          No, it’s ok. I’m the one who was not looking on the way we pass by. (Keeps helping Stella)

Stella:         No, it’s just fine. You can stand up now...

Ryan:          (stares at Stella) are you sure?

            Stella managed to look above her and had an eye-to-eye contact with Ryan. They stared at each other for a while. Stella was attracted to Ryan’s beauty. So does Ryan, he’s attracted to Stella’s beauty.

Stephen:     Sis! Sis! (Distracts Stella) Are you ok?

            The eye-to-eye contact of Ryan and Stella is disturbed. Yet, they stood up together.

Ryan’s Friend:   Ry, you got strong connection with girls. (Laughs)

Ryan:            (turns back at his friend) stop it, it’s not funny. (Faces Stella) Ummm, sorry again for the... It’s my fault to bump with you.

Stephen:       Sis! It’s so…!!!

Stella:           (turns back to Stephen) shut up. (Faces Ryan and smiles) It’s ok. And to tell you, it’s not                 your fault anyways, ours.

Ryan:            (smiles) By the way, I’m Ryan Aguillos. (Reaches his hand out) and you are?

Stella:           Stella Monares. (Shakes hands with Ryan)

Ryan:            Well, it’s nice meeting you, Stella Monares.

            Ryan and Stella’s handshaking lasted for long that malice entered Stephen’s intellect.

Stephen:      Sis, I think your handshaking will reach until night.

Stella:          (removes hand from Ryan’s) (Snobbed Stephen) By the way, where’s the room MB14?

Ryan:          Oh, why? Are we classmates?

Stephen:      Ahmm…Sis, why don’t we go with him since we’re classmates?

            Ryan, his friend, Stella and Stephen walked together coming towards their classroom.

            On the way…

Gertrude:     (rushes to Ryan) Hi, Ryan. Can I walk with you?

            Ryan was silent that left Gertrude speechless. So, to capture attention…

Gertrude:     I wonder why cheap people tail a high ranking person. Well, are they that FC?

            Stephen noticed that Gertrude was insulting them.

Stephen:      Excuse me, do you want war?

Gertrude:     (laughs artificially) of course not. I’m just trying to separate low-class people from higher      ones. Well, what’s your point for asking me the question if I want war?

Stephen:      Well, I’m just trying to warn you. ‘Cause if you really want to, I can give you!

Gertrude:     Oh, I’m not picking a fight with you. I know how to choose enemies. Well, I prefer fighting     with high class people. ‘Cause low class termites are too easy to defeat.

            Ryan was furious about what Gertrude said. So, he stopped, turned back and put her in shame.

Ryan:           Gertrude, if you need attention, rehab centers are open for you.

            Stephen, Stella together with Ryan’s friend laughed upon hearing those words and Gertrude felt ashamed and so bad of herself.

            When they reached their classroom…
Gertrude:     Oh, (plastically confused reaction) we’re classmates?

Stephen:      Of course. But why are you confused? Do you think you are the only one who got brains?

Stella:          Sis, stop it. We’re here in school not to look for trouble.

Gertrude:     Hmmm… so it’s really hard to have a bisexual classmate. You approach them nicely yet       reject you naturally. Is that how your mother raised you?

Stella:          (slapped Gertrude’s face) don’t include our mother in this conversation. To tell you, she        raised us well. How about you? What kind of mother do you have that you act like that?

Gertrude:     (also slapped Stella’s face) Well, you’re nothing! And how dare you touch me since low class           b*****s like you don’t have the right to.

Stella:          Well, if I’m a low class b***h, how about you, a liberated one?

            Gertrude attacked Stella and off they went to the ground, expressing their anger by hurting each other. Some of their classmates watched by them as Ryan and Stephen tried to stop the quarrel.

            Stella managed to push Gertrude that stopped their quarrel. The teacher arrived just in time.

Teacher:     What’s happening here?

Stella:         We’ve heard news about the drama contest to be held next week so we practiced with our     script to be prepared. Well, we ask for your support and wow! She’s a good actress.

            Gertrude was silenced, holding her anger in order to avoid being recognized by the teacher as the troublesome one among her classmates.

Teacher:     Well, it’s always good to practice early. (Stands in front of the class) Ok good morning class.

            After the class, Stephen and Stella went home.

Glenda:      (enters the house) Oh, you’re early Stella, Stephen.

Stella:         (pushing her mother’s hand against her forehead) we just did orientation.

Glenda:       Oh, so do you have any more classes this afternoon?

Stephen:     No, ma.

Glenda:        Well, that’s good to know. At least you could take your time to rest.

            Meanwhile, Ryan was met by his mother at the terrace of their house.

Andrea:        You’re early dear.

Ryan:           Yeah, we just did orientation and there’s no class in the afternoon.

Andrea:        Oh, really? Well, college life at first is very effortless.

            Later, his father joined their conversation.

Bryan:          Hmmm… but don’t expect easy assignments and projects. Well, expect the hardest.

Ryan:          You don’t have to worry about me mom, dad. I’m not that lazy to ignore my school activities.

Bryan:          Well that’s good, my son. Keep up the good work.

            The next day, Stella went to school without Stephen.

            She bumped with Ryan again. Some of her things fell on the ground.

Ryan:           Ummm… I’m so sorry. (Helps Stella pick her things up)

Stella:          It’s ok. You can stand up. (Keeps on picking her things up)

            The voice was very familiar! Ryan looked at her face eagerly and noticed that it’s Stella.

Ryan:           So, this is the 2nd time, huh? (Smiles)

Stella:          (smiles, stands up and looks at Ryan) I see. So this is the 2nd time we bumped each other     again. Anyways where’s your friend?

Ryan:           He went with his girlfriend. How about your companion, aren’t you with him?

Stella:          Oh, you mean my sister, Stephen? I mean, brother. He got flu so he can’t come to school.

Ryan:           I see. It’s our vacant period for an hour now, right?

Stella:          (lifts her shoulders) well, why?

Ryan:           Hmmm… Good. Why don’t we talk to know each other well?

            Stella smiled and nodded her head as a sign of “Yes”.

            They sat on the school’s bench facing each other. The longer the time they spend together, the deeper the get into each other’s feelings.

Ryan:           (move Stella’s bangs beside) you know, you got beautiful eyes when you smile. (Smiles)

Stella:          You’re so bolero! (Smiles)

Ryan:           I’m serious, Stella. I promise. (Raises his right hand)

            Stella’s face turned reddish so she looked at her watch.

Stella:          It looks like we’re coming late for our second period. (Picks her sling bag up)

            Stella turned her back on Ryan and stepped a few steps when Ryan held her hand.

Ryan:           Wait for me. Let’s go together. (Releases Stella’s hand)

            They both went to their classroom. Since Stephen is not around, Ryan goes with Stella as Stephen usually does until lunchtime. They walked together before going home.

Ryan:           (massages his chest) my chest seems painful.

Stella:          (worried) huh? Why?

Ryan:           This is nothing. Don’t worry I’ll be fine. (Smiles)

Stella:          (sighs as an expression of being relieved) I thought it was more like that.

            As they continue to walk, Ryan keeps on smiling and staring at Stella eagerly. Stella noticed it so she stopped walking. Still, Ryan kept staring at her.

Stella:          What are you looking at? (Waves her hand by Ryan’s face) hey! Are you there?

Ryan:           (stopped his staring and smiled) why did you worry a while ago?

Stella:          (blushed) Duh! You’re such a feeler! Of course I’m worried because in case anything happen             to you I’ll be liable since I’m your companion right now.

Ryan:           (smiles) is that the real reason?

Stella:          (snobbish eyes) pathetic.

            Stella walked and left Ryan smiling behind her. When she’s far enough, she also smiled.

            When Stella arrived home…

Stephen:      (blowing his nose with the face towel) sis, do we have any assignments?

Stella:           None. Why do you have to be absent? Well, that leads me to be with Ryan and "

Stephen:      Wait, wait, wait. Do you mean the very cute and handsome person we bumped with  yesterday? (Excited expression)

Stella:          Well, he’s not very cute though; just a little bit cute.

Stephen:      Sis, you don’t have to lie to me since mama is not around. Come on, tell me!

Stella:          Ok. (Looks around) to tell you, he’s a nice one. He doesn’t bore me. (Smiles)

Stephen:      (shocked) sis! I really feel the PHOTOSYNTESIS I mean the CHEMISTRY between you two.

Stella:          Don’t be too malicious. I’m just saying what I observed with him.

Stephen:     Oh, come on.

            Another day passed…

            She went to school without Stephen. Unfortunately, she was seen by Gertrude.

Gertrude:    Stella! Why aren’t you with Ryan? Haven’t your POWERS hypnotized him?

Stella:         Ms. Damasco, it’s not my fault if he likes us more than he likes you. I think the rabies you     carry with your mouth is the reason why he avoids you.
Gertrude:    Oh, really? Perhaps you got poisonous substances that keep him with you.

Stella:         Poison is harmful. Well, Ryan stays on the harmless side. Why does he avoid you? Maybe he           himself found that poison in you! Am I right?

Gertrude:    You’re so irritating! You "

            Gertrude tried to attack Stella but a teacher passed by just in time before she went wild.

Teacher:     Do you have any problems here?

Gertrude:    No ma’am.

Teacher:     So, what are you still doing here? Proceed to the flag ceremony area.

            They don’t have a choice but to follow the teacher’s orders so they lined at their specified area. Later, Ryan arrived.

Ryan:          (faces Stella and smiles) Hi.

Stella:         (smiles) Hello.

            Gertrude saw it so she just snubbed them instead of making a scene at the flag ceremony area.

            After the flag ceremony, Ryan and Stella walked together in coming to their room and the same happens after classes. This is their life during weekdays with or without Stephen.

            How about weekends?

            One Saturday afternoon, Ryan and Stella unexpectedly met at the city’s flower garden.

Stella:           Oh, Ryan you’re here. (Smiles)

Ryan:            (smiles) Yeah. How about you? What brings you here? (Sits beside Stella on the bench)

Stella:           I just love spending my time feeling the cool breeze with fresh air and scent of flowers.

Ryan:            Hmmm… Anyways can I have your cell phone #? (Picks up his cell phone from his pocket)

Stella:           (picks her cell phone from her pocket too) Sure.

            They came to know each other’s cell phone numbers.

Ryan:            Ummm… are you staying?

Stella:           Hmmm… yup. How about you?

Ryan:            I’m staying with you. Hmmm… why don’t we talk? (Smiles and stares at Stella)

Stella:           Well, you give the topic. (Smiles and stares at Ryan, too)

Ryan:            Something about… Love

Stella:           Ok… I’ll start it. To tell you, I love my mama, Sister Stephen and many more…

Ryan:            Am I included in that “many more”? (Smiles)

Stella:           (blushes and laughs) I don’t know. Why, do you want to be one of them?

Ryan:            (laughs) just kidding. Ummm, Stella… have you been in a relationship? (Serious)

Stella:           To tell you honestly, I haven’t been ever since, even once. How about you?

Ryan:            Also to be honest with you, I’ve never been in a relationship. (Smiles)

Stella:           Wheeeh? With that cuteness of you, no one ever applied?

Ryan:            Am I cute to you?

Stella:           (guilty smile and blush) I mean, well being. (Fingers forcing through each other)

Ryan:            Really? (Smiles)

            Stella was speechless since she was so guilty upon accidentally telling Ryan something she admires about him.

Ryan:            Stella, I’d like to tell you that I kind of admire you. You know, you’re pretty when you smile.

Stella:           (blushes, smiles and pinches Ryan’s nose) you’re really a good joker! That’s what I like        about you.

Ryan:            Really? (Pinches Stella’s nose) you know, that’s what I like about you, too. You deny every fact that people tell you. Anyways, why don’t you tell something about your family?

Stella:           Hmmm, let’s say I have a single mother and Stephen " he’s not my real brother.

Ryan:            Huh? How can you say that Stephen is not your real brother?

Stella:           6 years ago, Stephen and I were 10 years of age when his parents died with unidentified      reasons. Mama saw him in a certain place so she brought him home. We adopted him and     treated him as a real part of the family. That’s all.

Ryan:            Whoa. (Amazed) Stephen’s past was painful after all.

Stella:           The memory of the past might’ve vanished in his mind, since he grew up to be cheerful and             jolly. (Looks at her watch) Anyways, I have to go home now. It’s almost 6pm. (stands)

Ryan:            Why don’t we walk together? Like we always do in school?

Stella:           Why, are you walking, too?

Ryan:            Yup.

            The two walked together until they arrived at Stella’s house.

            On the gate…

Ryan:            Ummm… Stella, I just want to tell you something. Ummm… (Speechless for a while)

Stella:           What is it? (Smiles)

Ryan:            Ummm… Close your eyes first…

Stella:           Why, for what reason?

Ryan:            Just close it for me… please!

Stella:           Ok, but do it fast… (Closes her eyes) It’s coming dark…

            Ryan kissed Stella’s cheek. Her eyes opened wide upon feeling the kiss of Ryan. Ryan was so shy that his face turned reddish…

Ryan:            (hurrying) Ummm… Good night and Sweet Dreams in advance.

            Ryan left and Stella massaged her face with her two fingers. Later, Stella received a text message from Ryan containing.

Ryan:            (text message) sorry if I can’t say it directly to you, Stella. But I hope it gives you the idea   that you’re important to me, Stella, very important.

            The next day, Stella received a bunch of fresh flowers from a certain person.

            Later, she received a text message from Ryan.

Ryan:            (text message) the flowers you received are from me. Anyways, good morning.

Stella:           (reply) thanks for the kiss last night and the flowers now. :-)

            Meanwhile…

Bryan:           Son, for who are the flowers?

Ryan:            Ummm… those are contributions for our projects. (Lied)

Bryan:           I don’t believe you, Ryan. Now tell me, are you courting somebody?

Ryan:            No, dad.

            Later, his mother joined in their conversation.

Andrea:        Dear, you’ll have a hard time studying when you do have extra subject.

Ryan:           Mom, in my age, it’s normal to be mingled in matters like love, right?

Andrea:        I know, but I hope you’d not spend too much for that things.

            On the other hand…

Stephen:      Sis! (Excitement) Ryan may’ve liked you that much! Imagine, he gave you fresh flowers.

Stella:          Excuse me, there’s no way he’d like me.

Stephen:      (snobbish) well, just look at the situation. He gave you flowers and "

Stella:          Well, giving flowers doesn’t only mean that the person likes you, right?

Stephen:      Hmmm… but sis, tell me honestly. Do you have feelings for him?

Stella:          I can’t answer that question, sis.

Stephen:      Sis, mama is not around. Why don’t you tell me? Please! (Kneels) Do you love him?

Stella:          (blushes) when I say, slightly, how would you react?

            Stephen screamed out loud so Stella covered his mouth to regulate the noise.

Stephen:      (mouth uncovered) sis, I can’t believe it. So you really have feelings for him.

Stella:          Duh! Just slight feelings.

Stephen:      Hmmm… why don’t you tell me what you see with him?

Stella:          Ok, he’s tall; he’s generous; and he’s kind.

Stephen:      Is that all? But I think you’re hiding more of that…

Stella:          Ok… (Says faster this time) he’s handsome; he’s cute; and most of all he got my eyes!

Stephen:      (shocked) so it means, there’s really a chance for CHEMISTRY to take place.

            Stella snubbed Stephen but smiled as she turned back.

            Before she managed to get out their house, her mother arrived.
Glenda:        Somebody inspires you Stella! (Very happy)

Stella:          (guilty smile and fake frown) duh! And well, it’s not “courting”.

Stephen:      Maybe you’re just not telling us.

            Stella snubbed it and proceeded to her room to take a rest.

            Monday, it’s school time again. Stella and Stephen went to school. They were met by Gertrude on the school’s park.

Gertrude:      Hi Stella, hi Stephen! (Smiles plastically)

Stephen:      What happened to your horns, Gertrude? (Frown)

Gertrude:      You don’t have to worry about them since they improved a lot and grew harder and longer. So, beware of the freshness of the words you speak using your fishy " smelling tongue.

Stephen:      Oh, really? How about the pungency of your mouth? Have you cleaned it well?

Gertrude:      (Fake disappointment) gays are really troublesome. But don’t worry; I’ll be nice to you now.

Stella:          Well, that’s good to see the devil hiding her horns. (Smiles) anyways, nice day to you, Gerts.

            Gertrude left them.

            Ryan happened to pass through the School Park and met Stella and Stephen there.

Ryan:           Hi Stella, hi Stephen. (Winks one of his eye to Stella)

            Stella blushed and nodded her head. Stephen saw everything " the wink; the blush; and etc.

Stephen:      Ummm… sis, Ryan, you know… (Pushes his fingertips against each other) you’re a perfect match. And it would be more official if you become cute partners. The gf and bf thing.

Ryan:           (smiles) are you sure?

Stephen:      100% sure, of course.

Stella:          (blushes) stop it; we’re at young ages to deal with things like that.

Stephen:      Oh, sis, stop denying it. Aren’t you the one who said that you like Ryan last night?

Stella:          (face turns more reddish and diverts her eyes) well, it’s just…

Ryan:           (blushes and smiles) you don’t have to explain it, Stella. (Holds Stella’s shoulders)

            Stella can’t take being teased with Ryan so she left Stephen and Ryan.

=3 MONTHS LATER=

            One afternoon, Stella received a text message from Ryan.

Ryan:           (text message) hi, Stella. I have something very important to tell you. Can you come here in             the flower garden? I’ll be waiting. :-)

            Stella asked Stephen who was standing behind her.

Stella:          What do you think, sis?

Stephen:      (smiles) Well, he wants to tell you something very important. Since you’d be seeing each     other, why don’t you confess to him what you really feel for him?

Stella:          I don’t know how to. And I’m afraid he’d reject my confession.

Stephen:      Of course he won’t. (Smiles) I know Ryan feels something for you, too. Have you forgotten             last time when you told me that he himself told you that you’re important to him?

Stella:          Sis, you’re a really good sister. (Smiles)

            Stella and Stephen hugged and afterwards, Stella went to see Ryan at the flower garden.

            She arrived at the place and seems like no one was around. So, she sat at the park’s bench and waited for Ryan. She hadn’t noticed Ryan coming from behind her.

            When Ryan was closer, he immediately kissed Stella’s cheek. She was shocked upon feeling Ryan’s kiss.

Ryan:           (hand at mouth) Ahmm… Hi Stella, anyways I hope the kiss was fine for you. (Smiles)

Stella:          (blushes) you’re so sweet, Ryan. (Smiles)

Both:            Ummm…

            Ryan expressed an expression which meant that he lets Stella speak first.

Stella:          No… you can speak first.

Ryan:           Ummm… the reason why I called you here is to… (Emphasizing by hands for a while)

Stella:          Is to what? (Smiles)

Ryan:           (takes Stella’s hand) Ummm… Stella, I want to tell you that… I… I like you.

Stella:          (face turns more reddish) thanks.

Ryan:           And another thing, can you close your eyes for me?

Stella:          Well, sure. (Closes her eyes) but for what reason? (Smiles)

Ryan:           I cannot tell you directly but I hope you’ll get what I mean through this way…

            Clouds darkened and heaved, preparing to rain.

Stella:          (eyes still closed) Uhuh, but do it faster… (Blushes)

Ryan:           (whispers to himself) be yourself, Ryan. Be yourself.

            Ryan held Stella’s face and also closed his eyes.

            Clouds darkened more and the love between them started to burn.

            Ryan kissed Stella’s lips just in time the rain hardly fell on them. Stella was shocked and opened her eyes as they kiss. Later, she can’t help herself but to go with the flow of their kiss, so she closed her eyes again, trying to confess her love for Ryan by letting him kiss her.

            After the kiss, tears rolled down Stella’s face as she can hardly believe that Ryan would be kissing her like that as the rain gradually subsides.

Stella:          I never expected that the one I love would love me, too.

Ryan:           (smiles) you can’t believe it, can you?

            They hugged romantically…

=6 MONTHS LATER=

            It’s school time and it seems like Ryan was absent for a week. Well, it’s uneasy for Stella not to see Ryan for a week so she was so upset that she started to look for him.

Stella:          (asks Stephen) sis, just where could he be? Why is he absent for long?

Stephen:      Sis, your boyfriend may’ve gone somewhere. Well, you as his girlfriend should always check           on him. Remember, he’s the school’s heart rob. Many girls desire him.

Stella:          Well, he’s not a type of person who can easily be taken by someone else.

Stephen:      (sighs) well, what do I know about him; nothing, right? Let’s just hope he’s fine.

            Meanwhile…

            Andrea delivered a tray of food to Ryan in his room. As Ryan stands up, the blanket fell off that revealed his feet and hands with swollen tips.

Andrea:        Do you feel better, Ryan? (Worried)

Ryan:           Yes, mom. But, (massages his chest) I kind of feel aches in my chest.

Andrea:        I guess we really have to go to the hospital for check " up, Ryan. You may have problems in           your heart since you feel aches from your chest and tips of your feet and hands are swollen.

Ryan:           Mom, I’m fine. These are just stresses due to the hard works we did last Friday.

Andrea:        Dear, consulting a doctor is the best thing to do now to be sure.

Ryan:           Mom, I can handle this. I’ll be well later. Anyway, I feel like vomiting. (Holds his chest)

            He went to the comfort room in his bedroom. He closed his eyes as he vomited on the basin. When he’s done, he intended to clean the basin by cleaning it with water from the faucet but instead, his eyes grew wide as he saw blood excreted instead of normal vomit.

            Later, his chest became so painful that his body grew numb and disabled him to move. He fell to the ground and lost consciousness.

            It’s half an hour that his mother waited for him to come out.

Andrea:        Ryan, are you done yet?

            There’s no response so she felt something bad. She headed for the comfort room to see how Ryan is. The door was left unlocked so it had been easy for her to get in.

Andrea:        Ryan?

            She saw blood from the basin and blood tracks that led her to Ryan. She saw Ryan’s body on the floor with sheds of blood outside his mouth.

Andrea:             (shocked) Ryan! (Cries) Ryan! Somebody help us! Ryan "!

            On the other hand…

Stephen:      Sis, I really feel something bad! (Worried) why don’t you call Ryan?

Stella:          (picks her cell phone from her pocket) ok. (Dials Ryan’s cell phone #)

            Unfortunately, Ryan’s cell phone was silent and just vibrated on his bed. There was no answer.

            Stella tried to call him again and again.

            Still, her calls weren’t answered until Ryan’s cell phone lost battery so it turned off by its own.

Stella:          (worried) sis, I really feel bad about this.

Stephen:      Why don’t you try calling him again?

Stella:          It’s unattended.

Stephen:      Sis, it’s either that he turned his cell phone off; or something happened to him.

Stella:          Sis, don’t make me panic.

Stephen:      Sis, why don’t we check him in his house?

Stella:          Of course we can’t do that now. The school’s guard won’t just let us out anytime.

Stephen:      Well, we can check on him after lunch.

            It’s noon, the doctor talked to Andrea and Bryan in the room where Ryan was confined unconsciously. His body had some apparatus attached.

Doctor:        Mr. and Mrs. Aguillos, your son had a cancer of the heart 4th stage. Well, in the case of your            son, I’m so sorry to tell you this; start valuing the rest of his days since he can hold until 3 months    of existence. (Fixes his things)

            Andrea’s tears rolled down her eyes as she heard what the doctor said. She can’t believe that a very good son like Ryan would be gone sooner. But Bryan was determined for his son’s survival.

Bryan:          Doc, I know there’s a way to cure his illness.

Doctor:        I’m so sorry, Mr. Aguillos. All you can do now is to start valuing the rest of his days before it’s too late. Again, I’m sorry. (Leaves)

            Andrea can do nothing but hug Bryan.

            Later, Stella and Stephen arrived at the information area of the hospital. They asked for the room of Ryan and headed there.

            They knocked on the door and the door was opened by Bryan.

            Andrea, who was sitting besides Ryan saw them as Bryan lets them in.

            Andrea interrogated Stella and Stephen.

Andrea:        Ija, what’s your relation with our son? And why are you here?

Stella:          Ummm… ma’am, I’m your son’s girlfriend and we’re here to check if he’s fine.

Andrea:        So, you’re Stella. The girl he always talks about. (Smiles)

Stella:          (smiles) Oh, your son is so sweet.

Andrea:        Ija, his sweetness won’t last for long.

Stella:          (worried and curious) why?

            Andrea’s tears rolled down her face that she can’t answer Stella’s question so she went out of the room to express her grief for the coming loss of her son. Bryan answered the question as well.

Bryan:          Stella, Ryan is not going to stay for long.

Stella:          (tears started to roll down her face) w " what does that mean? Is he going to "?

            She covered her mouth, cannot resist the very sad and hurting feeling to know that someone important to you’ll vanish in the world later. Stephen comforted her by rubbing his hand with Stella’s back.

Bryan:          As the doctor said, he has 3 more months of existence. Anyways, how did you know that    Ryan was confined here?

Stephen:      Ummm… we went to your house…

            Stephen recalled what happened before they came here in the hospital.

            It was a hot noon when they arrived at the gate of Ryan’s house.

Maid:           Excuse me, ma’am, and sir. Sorry but the owner of this house is not currently here.

Stephen:      Ummm… We’re here to check with Ryan, not with his parents.

Maid:           Ah. But unfortunately, he’s brought by his parents to the hospital and I don’t know why.

Stella:          Hospital? He’s brought to the hospital, since when?

Maid:           Just this morning ma’am. The past days, he hasn’t got out of his room.

Stella:          Ok. Anyways, where’s that hospital he’s brought to?

            Back in his current position, Stephen told Bryan the rest of what happened before they got here in the hospital.

Stephen:      She told us the address so we immediately rushed here to check with him.

Bryan:          Hmmm… he had been absent for several days because he suffered from headache and the             tips of his feet and hands swelled. Well, he just started complaining about the aches in his chest     since last night. Anyways, excuse me.

            Bryan left Stella and Stephen with the unconscious Ryan in the room and went out of the room.

            Few hours later, Glenda arrived at the hospital. She walked at the area near Ryan’s room. When Stephen got out of Ryan’s room, he saw his mother.

Stephen:      Ma!

Glenda:        (sees Stephen) what happened? (Rushes to Stephen and squeezes him) why haven’t you     went home? And how did you get here?

Stephen:      Long story, ma.

Glenda:        Wait, where’s Stella?

            Stephen led Glenda at Ryan’s room and slightly opened the door, enough for his mother to see Stella taking a nap besides Ryan as she held Ryan’s hands with swollen tips.

Glenda:        (whispers to Stephen) well, who’s that boy? (Curious)

Stephen:      Ummm… sorry if we’re unable to tell you this ma, but he’s Stella’s boyfriend. And he’s dying.

            Glenda understood everything now so she kept her mouth silent and had a seat at the bench provided by the hospital’s management just outside Ryan’s room.

            Stephen invited her mother to get inside the room of Ryan for comfort and she agreed.

            When she got inside, Stella managed to wake up and saw her.

Stella:          (rushes to her mother and hugs her) (cries) I never expected this kind of pain if you know     that your loved one will be gone later until forever. Why does it have to be like this?

            Later, Andrea and Bryan entered the room and saw Glenda. They took her outside Ryan’s room to talk with her.

Andrea:        (smiles) so, you’re the mother of my son’s beautiful girlfriend. Anyways I’m Andrea Aguillos.

Bryan:          And I’m Bryan Aguillos, her husband. (Lends his hand) nice meeting you "?

Glenda:        Glenda Monares. (Smiles and shakes with Andrea’s hand first and next with Bryan’s)

                    Nice meeting you, too.

            Meanwhile…

            Ryan gained consciousness as Stephen left them to talk.

Ryan:           Am I dying, Stella? (Tears roll down his face)

Stella:          No, Ryan. No, you’re not going to. (Fake smile)

Ryan:           Stella, (holds Stella’s right hand and squeezes it with both his hands) stop lying to me, and to yourself. Don’t force yourself to smile if what you really feel inside is sadness.

Stella:          (tears started to fall from her eyes) I’m just trying to be strong for you " for us, Ryan.

Ryan:            You don’t have to worry about that, Stella. I’ll be gone later anyways. (Silenced for a while)   why don’t we break the bonds; the love; friendship and everything that connects us?

Stella:          (cries) but why? Why like that?

Ryan:           (cries) Being my first love, when I die, I know that you’ll be the one who’ll be hurt the most.   So, to avoid that to happen, I’d like to break our relationship between us in order for you to move      on easily.

Stella:          No, Ryan. Don’t say that. (Cries) you’re not going to die. You’re not leaving. And I’m not      breaking any connection with you. But please, be with me, too. (Tears roll down more intensively         from her eyes) I can’t face all of these alone. I need you, Ryan. I need you.

            Ryan smiled even though tears continue to roll down his face and pinched Stella’s nose.

Ryan:           I’m not breaking any connections with you since you convinced me. (Cries sadly) but that’s just for a short time since I don’t have the strength to extend my life. And I hope that at least             before I die, I could feel the fresh breeze from the flower garden for the very last time. I just want to visit the place where I met you; and I started loving you, Stella. (Tears rolled down from his        eyes more intensively)

Stella:          Ryan, stop saying that things. It’s not yet too late. (Wipes her tears)

Ryan:           I know, but please bring me to the flower garden tomorrow.

Stella:          I will. But promise me you won’t end it there.

Ryan:           I promise. (Raises right hand slowly and smiles)

            Stella hugged Ryan in bed as tears roll down from their eyes.

            The next day, (afternoon) Stella took Ryan to the flower garden. He was ridden on a wheelchair with the dextrose connected to his right hand by a tube.

Stella:          (smiles) so, take your time.

Ryan:           Just wait " (tries to stand)

            Stella held Ryan’s trunk in order for him to stand up without losing his balance. He spread his hands left and right and felt the cool breeze passing through the fabulous " smelling flowers.

            It looks like he murmured something in the breeze.

Ryan:           (slowly facing Stella) Stella, (holds Stella’s hips to gain balance) I love you.

Stella:          (holds Ryan’s hips) I love you, too.

            They kissed each other passionately for long. Afterwards, they hugged.

            Several hours past and it’s 5pm.

Stella:          Aren’t we going back to the hospital Ryan?

Ryan:           No, not yet. (Silenced for a while) since this is the last time I could feel the fresh breeze, I’d like to take my time before I vanish in this world.

            Stella, at the back of Ryan, was silently crying and Ryan noticed that she was wiping her tears.

Ryan:           Stella, are you crying?

Stella:          (cries) why does it have to be you dying when you did no mistake and cherished others?

Ryan:           (tears slowly rolling down his face) Stella, everything is set. And I’ve already accepted it. I    can do nothing about that but wait for the right time.

Stella:          Well, how about the others? Others like me whom you cherished; you comforted; and you    helped with finding the happiness in my heart? Ryan, (tears rolling down intensively from her             eyes) it would be hard for us to accept. Maybe for it’s easy to accept since you don’t have         something very important to lose. But to me, (continues to cry) you’ve been a big part of my life.

Ryan:           Stella, time will heal the wounds. There’s no such person who doesn’t experience the feeling             to lose something or someone very important to him/her. And I also know that another someone             will make that healing faster for you. So, you don’t have to be sad. Dying is just a part of living.        Always remember that.

            Stella hugged Ryan as both of them cried because of the sadness they feel.

 

=2 MONTHS LATER=

            As Stella together with Stephen, Andrea and Bryan watched over Ryan, she noticed that the big number in the respirator gradually decreases and the beeping sound sounds faster so she told Andrea about this.

            Andrea rushed to the nearest nurse station and informed them about the situation. The head nurse brought with her some nurses and a doctor. They entered Ryan’s room with the apparatuses they have brought.

            The number still decreased until it reached 50. It became constant for a while as the doctor and nurses prepared the needed apparatus.

Stella:          Ryan! (Cries) Ryan! Not yet, Ryan!

Ryan:           (awakened) Stella, (breathing heavily) I want you to look beyond what you see. (Tears          started to roll down his face) I also want you to open your heart again. And I want you to look           deeper within you ‘cause as you close your eyes; behind the mirrors of your eyes; you’ll still see       me as your guardian angel; who’d never leave you forever until the end of time.

Stella:          (tears intensively rolling from her face) don’t say that yet, Ryan, not yet. (Holds Ryan’s hand)

Ryan:           No, Stella. I have only a little time. Stephen, (breathing more heavily) take care of Stella.

Stephen:      (tears started to fall down his eyes) yes, Ryan. I will.

Ryan:           I entrust her to you, Stephen. And mom, dad.

Andrea:        Not yet, ijo. Not yet. Please don’t leave us yet.

Ryan:           If only I can mom. Anyways, thank you for everything. (Tears intensively rolling from his       eyes) Now that I have said everything; I think I can go now.

            White light flashed over Ryan that only he can see. At least before he’s consumed by the light, he tried to smile even with tears on his face.

            The number in the respirator started decreasing again until it finally reached zero (0). The nurses and the doctor used a certain apparatus that shocks the heart upon the application of force on chest.

            1, 2, 3 clear! No response. 1, 2, 3 clear! Still, there’s no response. 1, 2, 3 clear! It’s of no use. Ryan is dead now. Stella squealed in sadness; Stephen covered his face as he cried; Bryan cried; and Andrea cried out loud like a person with mental problems " probably can’t accept her son’s death.

=A YEAR LATER=

            Stella puts a bunch of fresh flowers on top of Ryan’s grave. She also lighted a white candle and puts it besides Ryan’s gravestone.

Stella:          Ryan, I’m back again. (Tears rolling down her face) you know, I always see you in my           dreams. Exactly the same what you said before, “as you close your eyes; behind the mirrors of         your eyes; you’ll see me as your guardian angel; who’d never leave you forever until the end of      time”. But there’s something I still can’t do, to open my heart once again. Well, I don’t even know    if I can still open it since I just opened it for you only. (Silenced for a while) well, (wipes her tears)    I guess that’s all for now since I can’t spend all of my time here. I still have to work for my projects          and assignments.

            Stella turned back on Ryan’s grave and started walking.

            As she walked away, Gertrude arrived on Ryan’s grave then lighted a candle and puts it beside Ryan’s gravestone. She saw Stella walking away.

Gertrude:      (shouts) Stella!

Stella:          (facing Gertrude) Yes?

Gertrude:      (shouts) Ryan told me before he died that he’d be happy if we become friends. So, for him,            I’d like to say sorry for every mistake I’ve done to you and Stephen. I hope for your forgiveness.

            Stella smiled then turned back again.

            She closed her eyes for a while. When she opened it, she found herself in a place with many fresh flowers as the cool breeze began blowing. When she looked at the side, she saw Ryan smiling at her. They ran to each other and kissed each other’s lips for long.

            Afterwards, they hugged. Tears of joy rolled down on Stella’s eyes.

 

 

“As you close your eyes; when you really look deeper within, you’ll see that fantasy is present

BEHIND THE MIRRORS OF YOUR EYES”

© 2014 Prime


Author's Note

Prime
This is my very first stage play written as project of English II. Well, I'd develop this into a literary work with a good storyline some time, if I'm not busy. Hehe =D !

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on January 2, 2014
Last Updated on January 4, 2014

Author

Prime
Prime

Sagay City, Region VI, Philippines



About
from Philippines ^_^ more..

Writing